Will upgrading monitor effect performance?

Just a one-off question here.

I am about to upgrade my monitor from a standard widescreen 19in monitor (1440x900) that I got in 2007 to a 23in 1080p monitor. I've been running WoW at a stable 60 frames for the most apart aside from raids, which tends to hover in the 20's and 30's. My video card is a GTX 550 Ti.

Will the monitor / resolution size take performance from the GPU or CPU here? CPU is a Phenom I Quad BE (2007 model).

What should I expect? A frame decrease or the same as always (which I want)?

It's slightly gonna affect your performance yes. Unlikely to make a big difference tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Higher resolution = lower frame rates
    It shouldn't be a massive drop though.

I would say you'll probably see a 10fps~ drop from 1440x900 to 1920x1080 at the most.

Don't forget that you can always switch to 1600x900 or another middling resolution if you find there is a large drop off, or you can't get used to the change in resolution.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AhhSpiders View Post

I am about to upgrade my monitor from a standard widescreen 19in monitor (1440x900) that I got in 2007 to a 23in 1080p monitor. I've been running WoW at a stable 60 frames for the most apart aside from raids, which tends to hover in the 20's and 30's. My video card is a GTX 550 Ti.

Will the monitor / resolution size take performance from the GPU or CPU here? CPU is a Phenom I Quad BE (2007 model).

As 1080p is effectively twice as much pixels as 720p, your GPU has to render twice as much obviously. So yes, it will effect performance - maybe not so much in WoW, as WoW is heavily CPU dependent and not so much GPU, but you will definitely notice a ~5-10 fps drop going from 1440x900 to 1920 × 1080.

Don't forget that you can always switch to 1600x900 or another middling resolution if you find there is a large drop off, or you can't get used to the change in resolution.
    Since TFT monitors can only interpolate other resolutions than their natives, it will always look slightly shit that way.
    Last edited by mmoc1f853858c0; 2012-12-14 at 11:31 AM.

I should have been more specific. I was talking mainly in terms of WoW. Since it's really all I play anyway. I totally understand most modern games will have a decrease.

While we're on it, in general, even when watching HD movies or TV shows, any other performance issues I should look out for?
    Last edited by AhhSpiders; 2012-12-14 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I would say you'll probably see a 10fps~ drop from 1440x900 to 1920x1080 at the most.
    10 fps drop sounds about right, but when you drop 10 from 20-30fps it becomes a disaster really. Game goes from semi-playable to a slideshow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Really depends on monitor. Most cheap monitors have so bad scaler that if you don't use it on native resolution the picture quality will be shit, and small text in raid frames for example literally unreadable.

While we're on it, in general, even when watching HD movies or TV shows, any other performance issues I should look out for?
    Probably not big difference. But on games including WoW you will take major fps hit.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Have to say, you guys are breaking my heart with these responses. Will have to adjust and make other upgrades I guess.

Spec breakdown of my computer:

AMD Phenom 9850 Quad 2.5GHz
    4GB Ram
    MSI Nvidia GTX 550 Ti

What should I upgrade here to improve performance then? I'm only aiming to be able to play WoW enjoyably, so it can't be that much.

I mean, I suppose to an extreme, I can just drop the settings from ultra to very high, or even high so I don't have to go out and buy new equipment since what I have has gotten me through the game since the end of BC.
    Last edited by AhhSpiders; 2012-12-14 at 12:27 PM.

What should I upgrade here to improve performance then?
    Everything.

I can just drop the settings from ultra to very high, or even high so I don't have to go out and buy new equipment since what I have has gotten me through the game since the end of BC.
    You need to understand that the game has gotten major graphics improvements on every expansion, and the hardware requirements aren't even close to what they were at the end of TBC. Dropping quality settings do to about medium will allow you to have good raid fps on a 1920x1080 screen.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    2073600 pixels versus your current 1296000 pixels. Almost twice as many to render!

Moving up in resolution will effect performance, to get an idea of how bad take a look at some benchmarks.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/541

You can clearly see it fluctuates a bit game to game. This is ofc 1680x1050 vs 1920x1200, so it will be a bit a skew on both sides but you can get the idea, of how much it can effect you.

I mean, I suppose to an extreme, I can just drop the settings from ultra to very high, or even high so I don't have to go out and buy new equipment since what I have has gotten me through the game since the end of BC.
    Mind you, if you currently have Shadows on Ultra (or anything other than the lowest setting) they eat a lot of your possible fps. Try turning Shadows down before making any other adjustments in your settings.

Deleted
    It will most likely have an influence on your frame rates, but personally I didn't see any noticeable performance difference when switching from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200. I saw a small drop in frame rates but I think most of that came with the fact that I changed just as an expansion hit, but it was only fluctuating above 60 fps anyways. But then I am running an i7 950@4.1Ghz with a 6950 overclocked. You will most likely see a bigger hit even though the change is less than mine was due to your lower CPU power and you slightly worse GPU.

Just out of curiosity as you mentioned you are at a stable 60 fps most of the time, do you have Vertical Sync disabled? If not you might want to and that'll help increase your fps as even when you are at 60 and drop to 20-30 it can be the cause of it at some points.

1920x1080=2073600 pixels
    1440x900=1296000 pixels
    777600 more pixels need to be pushed by your graphics card 62.5% to be exact.

So as a rough estimate lets say you get 60 fps normally you will now get 37.5 fps. This is a rough estimate because things like aa will take a larger hit at higher resolutions.