1. #1

    Affliction Mixed-messages...

    Hey folks, sorry if I'm just a moron, but I'm getting mixed messages from what I'm reading and what I'm getting from Simcraft.

    First off, I'm a Simcraft newbie, but I followed the guide that lots of people have posted and I feel like I'm getting accurate results.

    That being said, the results I'm getting are that Haste is my most valuable stat, over mastery, and valuable enough that a straight up Haste gem is more valuable than a hybrid Haste/INT.

    Am I somehow doing something wrong? I've checked here, Icy-Veins, even Mr Robot tells me Mastery is king, but it's just not simming that way for me.

    Should I just go straight for the 4717 breakpoint then go Mastery, or keep going with haste? HALP!

    By the way, here's my armory, which is reforged based on what I've read. (Yes, my iLvl is pretty low, my guild had me tanking, then healing on other toons while people were out for the first month of the xpac)

    EDIT: It won't let me post links yet, but I'm the only ELUDOTS out there, Garrosh server.

  2. #2
    The stat weights are dependent on gear. At mid - late raiding you will be able to reach certain break points with gear so you should be gemming for int/mastery or just mastery. Mastery is still higher than haste but not by much, you should easily be able to hit the first haste breakpoint which I believe is 10% (forgot the actual numbers). I would reforge anything that doesn't have haste on it to haste (crit, hit if you can) also you can reforge mastery just don't go crazy and reforge 10 pieces with mastery on it, if you are like 100 or 200 away from a breakpoint then reforge some mastery. With your gear I would not be using the 160 hit 160 mastery gems, also at that ilvl intellect is probably more viable than mastery so I would gem intellect where you can. Evralia has a great how to guide here which helped me out and probably helped alot of other people out in the Affliction Warlock and Encounter Specific Guides.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by PutressFIRST View Post
    The stat weights are dependent on gear. At mid - late raiding you will be able to reach certain break points with gear so you should be gemming for int/mastery or just mastery. Mastery is still higher than haste but not by much, you should easily be able to hit the first haste breakpoint which I believe is 10% (forgot the actual numbers). I would reforge anything that doesn't have haste on it to haste (crit, hit if you can) also you can reforge mastery just don't go crazy and reforge 10 pieces with mastery on it, if you are like 100 or 200 away from a breakpoint then reforge some mastery. With your gear I would not be using the 160 hit 160 mastery gems, also at that ilvl intellect is probably more viable than mastery so I would gem intellect where you can. Evralia has a great how to guide here which helped me out and probably helped alot of other people out in the Affliction Warlock and Encounter Specific Guides.
    Thanks for the response.

    I was able to find a config that got me hit capped, with 4717 Haste and a little more mastery. Hopefully that works well.

  4. #4
    Mechagnome Sweetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    on Sylvanas
    Posts
    598
    A give/take guideline would be:
    Sub 480 ilvl:
    Gem intellect, ignore breakpoints and reforge for 15% hit and otherwise full mastery.
    Past 480 ilvl:
    Gem mastery, get 4717 haste breakpoint, 15% hit and the rest in mastery.
    Past 490 ilvl:
    Gem mastery, get 6637 haste breakpoint, 15% hit and the rest in mastery.

    I am obviously biased towards getting hitcap, some people would say that this is a dps loss. But I prefer stability. Your choice entirely.
    Hope this helped somewhat.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    A give/take guideline would be:
    Sub 480 ilvl:
    Gem intellect, ignore breakpoints and reforge for 15% hit and otherwise full mastery.
    Past 480 ilvl:
    Gem mastery, get 4717 haste breakpoint, 15% hit and the rest in mastery.
    Past 490 ilvl:
    Gem mastery, get 6637 haste breakpoint, 15% hit and the rest in mastery.

    I am obviously biased towards getting hitcap, some people would say that this is a dps loss. But I prefer stability. Your choice entirely.
    Hope this helped somewhat.
    The 6637 haste breakpoint. What is it for? another tick on corruption or?

  6. #6
    Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Valhalla
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by Aumi View Post
    The 6637 haste breakpoint. What is it for? another tick on corruption or?
    UA and Agony both get an extra tick from 6637 (it covers 6400 and 6637 breakpoints).
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    A give/take guideline would be:
    Sub 480 ilvl:
    Gem intellect, ignore breakpoints and reforge for 15% hit and otherwise full mastery.
    Past 480 ilvl:
    Gem mastery, get 4717 haste breakpoint, 15% hit and the rest in mastery.
    Past 490 ilvl:
    Gem mastery, get 6637 haste breakpoint, 15% hit and the rest in mastery.

    I am obviously biased towards getting hitcap, some people would say that this is a dps loss. But I prefer stability. Your choice entirely.
    Hope this helped somewhat.
    Okay, thanks, I'll give this a try.

  8. #8
    Stood in the Fire viciouss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL.
    Posts
    399
    Do you mean gem pure mastery? I've been fudging the lines it seems and putting int/mastery gems in red and yellow slots, at a 486 ilevel.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

  9. #9
    Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Valhalla
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by viciouss View Post
    Do you mean gem pure mastery? I've been fudging the lines it seems and putting int/mastery gems in red and yellow slots, at a 486 ilevel.
    simcraft may have different weights for you.

    There was a period even for me where being stringent with weights wasn't optimal at around 483ish, where pure mastery and pure int wasn't as good as mostly mastery with a few hybrid gems in yellow slots.

    But 'pure mastery' just means to value the 160/320mastery over the 80/160 int when gemming. Ie: yellow=mastery, red=mastery_int, blue=mastery_hit assuming the socket bonus is worth the hybrid, if not then a pure mastery gem.
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

  10. #10
    I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when simming me, mastery overtook haste at ~7162 (I'm goblin), can someone wiser than me tell me what's up with my findings? Based on the magic number of 6637 - 1% from gobbo racial, that is.

    I'm running 510-4 version, since 510-5 is crashing on me.

  11. #11
    Mechagnome Sweetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    on Sylvanas
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysoth View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when simming me, mastery overtook haste at ~7162 (I'm goblin), can someone wiser than me tell me what's up with my findings? Based on the magic number of 6637 - 1% from gobbo racial, that is.

    I'm running 510-4 version, since 510-5 is crashing on me.
    At high gear levels they seem to even out.

  12. #12
    I'm having similar concerns with Simcraft at 499 ilvl, but perhaps I'm just too new at using it or missing something.

    I'm slightly above the 6637 haste point, yet haste is constantly simming better than mastery for me. Even more confusing, my reforge plots are telling me to sim 400 haste to mastery, so i'd be below both haste points in the 6Ks and forging out of my best stat? Any thoughts/help?

  13. #13
    Mechagnome Sweetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    on Sylvanas
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by Drobo View Post
    I'm having similar concerns with Simcraft at 499 ilvl, but perhaps I'm just too new at using it or missing something.

    I'm slightly above the 6637 haste point, yet haste is constantly simming better than mastery for me. Even more confusing, my reforge plots are telling me to sim 400 haste to mastery, so i'd be below both haste points in the 6Ks and forging out of my best stat? Any thoughts/help?
    You're simming single target fights without movement. No fight looks like that atm, so take a pinch of salt with your simcraft results. Stick to the 6637 haste and reforge the rest to mastery. Gem mastery / int/mastery / mastery/hit depending on the value of the socketbonus. I find that it's usually worth it to go for the socket bonus, even the blue one, theoretically.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    A give/take guideline would be:
    Sub 480 ilvl:
    Gem intellect, ignore breakpoints and reforge for 15% hit and otherwise full mastery.
    Past 480 ilvl:
    Gem mastery, get 4717 haste breakpoint, 15% hit and the rest in mastery.
    Past 490 ilvl:
    Gem mastery, get 6637 haste breakpoint, 15% hit and the rest in mastery.

    I am obviously biased towards getting hitcap, some people would say that this is a dps loss. But I prefer stability. Your choice entirely.
    Hope this helped somewhat.
    this is true for the most part. ofc in the case of gemming you should use a bit of logic as well and see what the socket bonus is. in a blue socket with a 160 int bonus, it will be worth it to go after rather than gem pure mastery, as +160 hit/+160mastery(sensei's) and +160 int will be superior to just 320 mastery. when it comes to gemming it mostly comes down to the socket bonus and whether or not you'll get more dps out of going for the socket bonus as opposed to getting 320 mastery.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Drobo View Post
    I'm having similar concerns with Simcraft at 499 ilvl, but perhaps I'm just too new at using it or missing something.

    I'm slightly above the 6637 haste point, yet haste is constantly simming better than mastery for me. Even more confusing, my reforge plots are telling me to sim 400 haste to mastery, so i'd be below both haste points in the 6Ks and forging out of my best stat? Any thoughts/help?

    Do you import you character directly from battle.net? After implementing upgrades there was such an issue, that character is imported without taking upgrades into account.
    For example, I did reforge in game to reach 4717 haste breakpoint, simmed my char and it shows I need more haste. Then I noticed that simcraft thinks I have only 4699 haste, cause it didn't know that I upgraded my bracers twice.
    Maybe it is the same for you?

  16. #16
    For upgraded stuff, don't forget to add ",upgrade=2" into your "summary" tab. Put it at the end of your bracer's line and it will work. No space.
    Last edited by Shauni; 2012-12-18 at 12:48 PM. Reason: clarity

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Likandan View Post
    Do you import you character directly from battle.net? After implementing upgrades there was such an issue, that character is imported without taking upgrades into account.
    For example, I did reforge in game to reach 4717 haste breakpoint, simmed my char and it shows I need more haste. Then I noticed that simcraft thinks I have only 4699 haste, cause it didn't know that I upgraded my bracers twice.
    Maybe it is the same for you?
    Yea, I imported from battle.net and entered the upgrade=2 line on the items I've pumped valor into. For the moment I'm sticking with Sweetz feedback of taking sim results with a grain of salt, and keeping my 6672 jhaste (just above 6637 break) and mastery all the rest excluding hitcap. However, I'm wondering if Simcraft at higher ilvls just tries to keep your mastery and haste values really close together, with mastery slightly in the lead. If anyone is curious, my char is Drobocop on Durotan US, and my 2/2 valor upgraded items are my wand, heroic tier gloves and h LoTC trinket. Cheers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •