Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Getting Gold in All Challenge Modes

How difficult would this be? I'm currently a fully Malevolent geared Affliction/Destro PvP Warlock with fully upgraded T2 weapons. I know items scale down to ilvl 463, so I'm thinking my gear itself is good enough. I am also competent when it comes to PvE DPS.

Long story short, how difficult is it to get gold in every challenge mode (to unlock the xmog gear)? Could I do it with a group of fully-Malevolent, but competent in PvE, PvEers? I know the PvP trinkets are a disadvantage, but are they large enough to hold me back from gold?

Thanks!

Any other advice for gold in CMs would be appreciated.

Deleted
    I'm not fully gold yet as I've only just started on the challenge modes myself but I personally think they are one of the best features in the game right now...

Providing you have the patience and do a little research and planning you can get all gold no problem, and there's no better feeling than all that hard work paying off and nailing that gold time

I would recommend doing them with a set group as you'll get better synergy going with regards to control.

Good luck!

All your gear will be scaled down to 463 including all your wasted pvp stats. Basically you have a much smaller stat budget and you are using some of that for pvp stats. I would highly recommend getting a solid pve set to improve your chances at gold since none of your stats will be wasted.

In addition all set bonuses are all turned off in challenge modes so keep that in mind.

Finally challenge modes take practice with the same group of people, don't expect to be knocking out gold left right and center your first time through. I also think a tanks and healers in full PVP gear will have a significant disadvantage in challenge modes if you are planning on running with a group of full pvp players.

Quote Originally Posted by Markle View Post
    All your gear will be scaled down to 463 including all your wasted pvp stats. Basically you have a much smaller stat budget and you are using some of that for pvp stats. I would highly recommend getting a solid pve set to improve your chances at gold since none of your stats will be wasted.

In addition all set bonuses are all turned off in challenge modes so keep that in mind.

Finally challenge modes take practice with the same group of people, don't expect to be knocking out gold left right and center your first time through. I also think a tanks and healers in full PVP gear will have a significant disadvantage in challenge modes if you are planning on running with a group of full pvp players.
    That's just false. A 483 PvP is just as effective as a 483 PvE item these days for PvE. The PvP stats are just a bonus.

I don't think tanks or healers will struggle either. Our blood DK tanks them in full DPS gear and mana shouldn't be a big issue for the healer as you can sip a klaxxi amber in between every pull.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Markle View Post

Complete bull, pvp stats don't take up itemization anymore - ilevel 358 pvp gear is just as good for pve as ilevle 358 pve gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Complete bull, pvp stats don't take up itemization anymore - ilevel 358 pvp gear is just as good for pve as ilevle 358 pve gear.
    Thanks, that's what I had thought. PvP stats are not included in the stat budget at all. I don't think I have to waste time farming a heroic set just to do challenge modes when all of my gear is currently superior to LFR gear.

The PvP players I'll be running with are all Gladiators/2600+ players (they're good at the most difficult part of this game) who are all very competent. I don't think we'll have any issues with synergy/control in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    (they're good at the most difficult part of this game)
    Keep us updated on how roflstomping the easy part of the game goes please!

Don't be an ass dude. -Azshira
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-12-17 at 01:01 AM.

Deleted
    They do in the weapon.

the trinkets may actually hinder you in getting gold time if you are running anything but the most ideal comps. we ran prot paladin (lowest dps tank) frost dk shadow priest (terrible dps at low haste) resto druid and post-nerf mage. doing so got us gold by the skin of our teeth on some challenge modes.

your group of gladiator friends is probably going to be a huge advantage since aoeing through the trash requires a lot of coordination in chaining stuns and silences and that sort of stuff.

but! get some trinkets, play smart, and set aside a good amount of time and you can get gold no problem. took us around 18 hours over 4 days to get all 9 golds.

Having a hard time finding a group of good players (or any players at all, dps doesn't matter that much (abou 60k per dps would be fine add something between 45-55k dps for the tank)), which is the biggest problem I believe... At least for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just find 4 other truly competent players and work on them together. It will take some practice, but locks are very strong in this environment.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Just find 4 other truly competent players and work on them together. It will take some practice, but locks are very strong in this environment.
    Trinkets are really a huge deal, are they? I don't see why, they're just a bit of stats missing tbh. I would like to think that excellent gameplay would make up for this.

Deleted
    Trinkets are really a huge deal, are they? I don't see why, they're just a bit of stats missing tbh. I would like to think that excellent gameplay would make up for this.
    Trinkets are huge burst, huge burst is very important on the big trash pulls.

Even in absolute optimal gear, you need excellent gameplay to get gold. Not saying it's impossible to get gold with pvp trinkets, but why hinder yourself when there are better pve trinkets that are easy to obtain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

You can probably do it just fine, if you are really as good in PvE as you are confident. But how hard can it be to get Darkmoon Card and one another 463+ PvE trinket to get major boost over PvP trinkets? And if you just see it as a bunch of missing stats, let me guess, you probably don't even need flasks/food/potions?

Challenge modes are not THAT easy for most players, and min-maxing every buff and every piece of gear can help you a lot to get through them. I'd also like if you could keep us updated on your progress
    Shaman - Hunter - Monk - Druid - Warlock - DK - another Shaman - one more Shaman

true i think the only advantage for pve gear is socket bonuses are really for hit/dmg rather than pvp which is usually pvp power/resil/stam etc, while only shoulders/gloves give stats useable in pve i think.

basically because gems dont scale down, the more sockets the item has the better it is for CM's

Some trinkets dont scale down or arent scalable proc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faeglendir View Post
    You can probably do it just fine, if you are really as good in PvE as you are confident. But how hard can it be to get Darkmoon Card and one another 463+ PvE trinket to get major boost over PvP trinkets? And if you just see it as a bunch of missing stats, let me guess, you probably don't even need flasks/food/potions?

Challenge modes are not THAT easy for most players, and min-maxing every buff and every piece of gear can help you a lot to get through them. I'd also like if you could keep us updated on your progress
    Will do!

I will probably start the group up after we finish RBGs tonight. should be ezpz

10+ Year Old Account
    If you only have pvp equip, get pve equip in hero instances. since it gets scaled down to 463 it doenst really matter what kind - lfr / heros should be fine. If you have the luck to lay hands on a sha touched weapon + gem, thats great, because the gem doesnt really scale down in CMs.
    apart from that, just try to find a spec which fits you most - you'd have to be on the top of your game with everything, not just dps: use your cc/stuns correctly, try to know what has to be killed first etc - basically just get a group of 5 skilled players and work from that. the more practise you get as a group, the better you will get.

on my first night we barely finished gate of the setting sun on gold. by the time we hit stormstout brewery (hardest one imo) we had a solid setup and great communication among us. Setupwise, try to get an ele shaman and a blood dk tank - they are king in CMs (not necessary, but highly appreciated).

Deleted
    running the best comp for each dungeon will easily outweigh having slightly sub optimal gear (or even skill tbh).

i'd say your 2 options are to run with different people for each dungeon in order to have the best comp or to run with the same people for everything and develop tactics that play to your strengths, I'd say the first option will be the easiest so long as you have access to a good pool of players (something like openraid may help you there).

And do your research ofc, youtube videos of gold runs from groups with the same comp will be invaluable.