Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ...
15
23
24
25
  1. #481
    Elemental Lord Manakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cambridge!
    Posts
    8,238
    Quote Originally Posted by klorx View Post
    My friend showed me this last night on twitter..

    Thats a fake, i know because i saw the thread... It's been on 4chan alot and people there have debunked it.

  2. #482
    Quote Originally Posted by Someudontno View Post
    Holy shit....there is no way that's real.
    it probably is, people make a lot of threats on /b/ but usually they just like kill themselves.

  3. #483
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    it probably is, people make a lot of threats on /b/ but usually they just like kill themselves.


    The fact the shooter had a mask on is also suspicious, why go to the trouble of wearing a mask if you're going to kill yourself? James Holmes also wore a mask?!

  4. #484
    The Lightbringer Deadvolcanoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Someudontno View Post
    Holy shit....there is no way that's real.
    Not only is that not real, but authorities are looking for the author, in an attempt to press charges, probably for interfering in an investigation.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

  5. #485
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    People who think that outlawing guns for the general public will fix killing and violence really need to have their brains examined. Criminals will still get the guns, illegally, and still kill people with them. Banning guns won't do a damn thing. I'd rather it stay legal to own a gun so that I can defend myself and my family from crazy whack jobs out there.
    There are two things that seriously make me question people with this mentality. One is, how on earth do you think owning a gun is going to protect you to the point of it being worth it compared to the added danger it has of even an accident? You're considerably more likely to have an accident with a gun than have that gun protect you from a mass shooting. Tell me any time that a mass shooting has ever been stopped or prevented by a citizen with a gun and I'll be more than happy to consider your opinion of carrying a gun more beneficial though.

    Secondly, there was a great article on abcnews.com I believe, stating how Australia faced a similar dilemma in the 90s and an elected official who was basically put in office by pro-gun voters went through a thorough procedure of fixing the problem and in fact that was a severe restriction on any automatic weapons, and any other weapons were basically dealt with similar to how cars are in the US. You can own a gun, but you must get a license for it and you must register it. That has cut down the number of gun related deaths substantially, so to claim that it won't fix anything is just plain ignorant.

    People really need to look at the options here instead of relying on having a gun to protect yourself from other people with guns. It's not that simple at all, and further steps need to be taken.

  6. #486
    Stood in the Fire lostprophet12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    406
    What website is that picture supposed to be from?

  7. #487
    Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    You can't be serious with that.
    You can't honestly be serious in thinking that arming teachers with guns is a viable option to prevent mass murders in schools.

  8. #488
    Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    Tell me any time that a mass shooting has ever been stopped or prevented by a citizen with a gun and I'll be more than happy to consider your opinion of carrying a gun more beneficial though.

    Pearl High School, Mississippi: This incident began the morning of Oct. 1, 1997, when 16-year-old student Luke Windham entered the school with a rifle. Wearing only an orange jumpsuit and a trench coat and making no effort to hide his weapon, he initially entered the school and shot and killed two students, injuring seven others. He was stopped by assistant principal Joel Myrick, who retrieved a .45 cal. handgun from the glove box of his truck. “I’ve always kept a gun in the truck just in case something like this ever happened,” said Myrick at the time, who went on to become principal of Corinth High School, Corinth, Miss.


    Appalachia Law School, Virginia: On Jan. 16, 2002, Peter Odighizuwa, 43, a former student from Nigeria, arrived on the campus of the school with a handgun around 1:00 p.m. and immediately killed three people, at least two of them at point-blank range. Two students – Mikael Gross and Tracy Bridges – both retrieved handguns from their vehicles ,confronted Odighizuwa and helped prevent more killings.


    Colorado Springs, Colo.: On Dec. 9, 2007, gunman Mathew Murray, 24, launched an armed attack against the parishioners of the New Life Church that ultimately left two innocent victims dead. But the toll could have been much higher, were it not for the heroic actions of former police officer Jeanne Assam from Minnesota. Murray shot a total of five people before an armed Assam shot and killed him. There were about 7,000 people at the church at the time of the attack.

  9. #489
    Quote Originally Posted by vandam View Post
    Pearl High School, Mississippi: This incident began the morning of Oct. 1, 1997, when 16-year-old student Luke Windham entered the school with a rifle. Wearing only an orange jumpsuit and a trench coat and making no effort to hide his weapon, he initially entered the school and shot and killed two students, injuring seven others. He was stopped by assistant principal Joel Myrick, who retrieved a .45 cal. handgun from the glove box of his truck. “I’ve always kept a gun in the truck just in case something like this ever happened,” said Myrick at the time, who went on to become principal of Corinth High School, Corinth, Miss.


    Appalachia Law School, Virginia: On Jan. 16, 2002, Peter Odighizuwa, 43, a former student from Nigeria, arrived on the campus of the school with a handgun around 1:00 p.m. and immediately killed three people, at least two of them at point-blank range. Two students – Mikael Gross and Tracy Bridges – both retrieved handguns from their vehicles ,confronted Odighizuwa and helped prevent more killings.


    Colorado Springs, Colo.: On Dec. 9, 2007, gunman Mathew Murray, 24, launched an armed attack against the parishioners of the New Life Church that ultimately left two innocent victims dead. But the toll could have been much higher, were it not for the heroic actions of former police officer Jeanne Assam from Minnesota. Murray shot a total of five people before an armed Assam shot and killed him. There were about 7,000 people at the church at the time of the attack.
    I do have to say I'm impressed there are that many, but my point of the risks outweighing the benefits still stands. The added risks of simply more people with guns won't necessarily be worth it in prevention of mass murders.

    To add, a police officer, former or current, carrying a gun is a bit different than your average citizen, as they've obviously been trained. However, I do have to question why they would carry one to a church.

    To add further, the assistant principal you mentioned was a former US Army reserve commander. Again, not someone I'd consider your average citizen when it comes to carrying a firearm.

    And to add yet again, your other incident you mentioned has varying details of the situation, but evidence that the shooter, Odighizuwa, had emptied the magazine in his gun. There's contradicting viewpoints of whether he gave up when he saw the men with the guns or that he gave up prior to seeing them. Furthermore, all three men involved in the apprehension of the suspect were former military or police officers. So again, not what I'd call average citizens when it comes to handling a firearm.
    Last edited by sicness; 2012-12-19 at 11:00 PM.

  10. #490
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/man-...th-one-bullet/

    With one shot, an off-duty sergeant took down a gunman who attempted to opened fire at a crowded movie theater lobby during a late night showing of “The Hobbit” in San Antonio, 1200 WOAI news reports.



    http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4/...RhrWCM9dQ.cspx

    A citizen with a gun stopped a knife wielding man as he began stabbing people Thursday evening at the downtown Salt Lake City Smith's store.Police say the suspect purchased a knife inside the store and then turned it into a weapon. Smith's employee Dorothy Espinoza says, "He pulled it out and stood outside the Smiths in the foyer. And just started stabbing people and yelling you killed my people. .There is blood all over. One got stabbed in the stomach and got stabbed in the head and held his hands and got stabbed all over the arms."
    Then, before the suspect could find another victim - a citizen with a gun stopped the madness. "A guy pulled gun on him and told him to drop his weapon or he would shoot him. So, he dropped his weapon and the people from Smith's grabbed him."
    http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...obbery-attempt

    A 57-year-old Jacksonville grandfather stopped off on his way home from work Monday night to fill a grocery list his wife left for him that morning.
    but after entering the Dollar General at 1921 Dunn Ave., he was thrust into an armed robbery that ended with him firing his weapon and one of the two robbers lying dead on the floor.


    And if those examples were not enough for you, look here for a loooooong list . Around 450 cases :

    http://www.learnaboutguns.com/tag/self-defense-example/

    Can you imagine how many of those housewifes or citizens cornered in their houses could be death if the law didn't permited them to have a gun ? Cause the invader or the thief really don't care about respecting the law and will always have a gun. With or without ban .
    Last edited by vandam; 2012-12-20 at 01:44 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •