Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Brawler's Guild: Skill, or gear?

I've been playing through - I've only died to 1 mechanic(Ixx, didn't know what was going to happen), but I've met dozens of enrage timers. I don't raid, and I was looking for something fun that people who didn't raid could do. This was kind of what brawler's guild was(I assumed) going to be. Boy was I wrong.

Everything started going south once I started seeing enemies with 6M Hp. 6M hp in that tiny amount of time is insane for people who are in full blues/AH Epics... then I saw a mob pop out that had 12.7M hp. No + damage increase, same enrage timer.

They require roughly 93k DPS. That's ridiculous for a solo, unbuffed, dps to pull while kiting/healing/whatever else is needed. Hell, 93k dps is rough in a raid prior to full heroic gear. This isn't a skill check at all, It's a full on gear check.

Has anyone figured out a way to soften these ridiculous DPS requirements? :/

If your gear was scaled like it is for challenge modes it would be skilled based. But as it stands its mostly gear based, as your gear improves you can down them faster before the enrage kicks in.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

bit of both. you'll need super gear to beat rank 7-8 enrage timers, but you cant cheese it by outgearing if you stand in bad shit like a bad :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly skill, buy you'll need at least lfr+ gear for the harder bosses

Don't forget that we are still at the start of the expansion so by the end of the expansion 94k dps should be not to hard to reach. You still need a lot of skill for the last bosses.

Which boss have you reached that requires 93k DPS?

The bosses vary greatly and their difficulty varies greatly depending on YOUR class. A considerably amount of them have one-shot mechanics, meaning it has nothing to do with gear.

Overall it's skilled based. Varying levels of skill are required, based on class and gear, but it's still mostly skill.

I don't believe if it was ever brought around as something for non-raiders to do. Based on the fights I've done so far (Rank 7) you won't be comfortable without LFR gear though, which is pretty accessible.
    Last edited by omni; 2012-12-14 at 08:49 PM.

Deleted
    Mostly gear based, as there are skill requirements, but they are very low.

then I saw a mob pop out that had 12.7M hp. No + damage increase, same enrage
    This part confuses me, because the only enemies in there with that amount of HP are GG engineering, and they have a huge +Damage increase (so much that I think some people do it in heal spec, and I did it in tank).

It's not really gear-heavy until battletron and rank 8 stuff. Or rather, I didn't have issues in my gear until rank 8, and I fought the pre-buff version of battletron .

More skill and gear, but gear is rather a hard blockade on some bosses. When you can't push past 85k dps, skill won't do much. But since only some of the fights are dps checks, and most of them are awareness/skill check, skill it is.

battletron is the gearcheck i got stuck at.. and im in mostly normal raidgear.. near 490ilvl.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's 100% a gear check at the end, mainly.
    I'm currently working on Rank 8's at 480 ilvl WW Monk, I was sloppy on Zen'shar and wiped myself at 400k hp, the others are too heavily dependent on high gear / class.

The only person to have cleared all on my realm has a personal heroism, was #1 dps class ( geared ) and ignored mechanics with levitate + being ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Braindwen View Post
    This part confuses me, because the only enemies in there with that amount of HP are GG engineering, and they have a huge +Damage increase (so much that I think some people do it in heal spec, and I did it in tank).

It's not really gear-heavy until battletron and rank 8 stuff. Or rather, I didn't have issues in my gear until rank 8, and I fought the pre-buff version of battletron .
    Epicus Maximus has 11M hp, sorry thought it was 12M. Disruptron MK 3 is 11M, Millhouse is 47M, but he has a damage buff. Zen'shar is 8M, but has a bunch of adds you have to kill first.

Deleted
    You can pretty much cruise through the lower ranks without any problem if you have decent gear, but no one is clearing all the rank 8 bosses without the same level of skill you'd find in a decent heroic raiding guild, which is (surprise surprise) the same place you get the gear to beat the rank 8 fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once you get to rank 6, it is skill. I imagine this wouldn't even be a question if websites didn't exist telling people how to beat the bosses - try going at it without any prior knowledge of the mechanics and let the challenge ensue.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Lacking one or the other won´t get you anywhere. Made it to Rank7/3 with 480 gear, which isn´t that hard to obtain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    Has anyone figured out a way to soften these ridiculous DPS requirements? :/
    5.2 LFR/valor gear will help you with the enrage problem.
    Last edited by mmocee72ac48eb; 2012-12-14 at 09:20 PM.

it is obviously both :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Class>Gear>Skill

Some classes can faceroll some encounters that other struggle a lot with, in the end gear also matters, but unless you are a fire mage, an ele shaman or an aff lock, most encounters will be quite hard regardless of gear and skill.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Deleted
    It's definitely skill, it doesn't matter how much item level you have either it is 460 or 560, most of the bosses in brawler's guild will kill you almost instantly if you don't avoid their attacks.
    Last edited by mmoc651a27ab8d; 2012-12-14 at 10:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gear will help a half decent player push the limits.

Gear will not help a mediocre player be better.