View Poll Results: Do you support banning AND round-up of said guns in the USA?

Voters
280. This poll is closed
  • No - I'm an American

154 55.00%
  • Yes - I'm an American

27 9.64%
  • No - I'm Not an American

33 11.79%
  • Yes - I'm Not an American

66 23.57%
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    While that graph is striking, it's also strikingly deceptive. They left off two countries, Estonia and Mexico. Hmmm... I wonder if there's anything special about those countries...

*checks data*

Oh, Mexico has triple our murder rate and Estonia's a touch higher than us as well. Why leave them off? The point is just as good when saying, "hey, we're a lot higher than almost everyone in the OECD" than saying, "we're the highest, as long as we pretend Estonia and Mexico aren't places".
    What's the commonality of the USA, Estonia, and Mexico?

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole thread, on the most part, sums up the sorry state of the world.

Guns make mass murder much more accessible to a crazy nut.

Oh? They were stolen? This reinforces the point even further.

My question is, what drove the person to become a nut?

Watch a week's worth of average TV, that'd be enough for me.

Whilst the world burns we has crap like: Kardashians, BGT, AGT, X-Factor, I'm A Celebrity.

Now, these are not the causes directly, but when an entire sect of the world chooses to fill it's time with the above et al whilst the rest struggle with basic survival, we must ask the question - what the fuck went wrong and how can we remedy it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aftonflickan View Post
    First of all I'd like to say that I'm not an American and haven't lived in America for a good 8 years now, so information might be incorrect and if so please correct me

In response to the recent shootings at both the Connecticut elementary school and the Oregon Mall, wouldn't you agree that it's about time to discuss severely limiting gun freedom and firearm possession in America?
    I just think that there *might* be some form of correlation between gun-sales and possession and shootings when the countries with the least number of people shot per year are also the ones with the tightest legislation and the least armed police officers...
    "If everyone has a gun then it's safer herp derp second amendment I-do-need-me-my-fully-automatic-gun-for-self-defense"

Thoughts?

Edit: The thread title is "gun regulation", not banning. Calm down you gun-tooting Uncle Sams.
    Furthermore, the incident in China involving a knifing spree lead to injured children, while this incident involving guns lead to dead children.

Thoughts? Your someone from another country trying to tell us how to run ours. That is my main though on this subject. Also I hear cocaine and heroin is bad we should BAN them too! I am sure that will take them off the streets.

Why do the same people who want to legalize marijuana with the argument "It will take the drug away from the drug dealer's hands" think that a gun ban/regulation would be good at all? I mean it would work just like any other thing we have banned. The cartel will now be selling guns, No need for ID my friend just bring lots of money!

You know Hitler in WW2 issued a gun ban on German citizens, I think we all know what governments really want with gun bans. A society that isn't armed and can't resist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    how many people did the knife in my drawer kill today?

Does that mean I can't use a knife to kill someone?
    it means its dishonest as hell to blame the gun, blame the person that used it.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Formerly of the People's Republic of Illinois
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Maybe a world of warcraft analogy would help those who continually fail to understand how reality works.

A mage without any spellpower at lvl 1 is going to suck at killing people, especially if they try to just attack with their hands. They'd probably die in the process. But give that mage a few thousand spell power, a lot of haste, and some extra mana, and they can farm mobs almost instantly and get the quest done that much quicker.
    This is because Blizzard had put in strict Spell Power laws to prevent magical violence. The mobs were good law-abiding digital citizens and thus, were left defenseless.

Now imagine said Mage walking into Blackrock Mountain, where all of the mobs are equally or greater armed. Think Mr. Mage will get far?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_de_Tocqueville
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -CS Lewis

Deleted
    To all those saying they'll get the guns someway or other...

Pretty much every other country doesn't have guns and we have no problem.
    Banning guns will reduce crime tenfold as there is no temptation to use a firearm in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Pretty common misconception as well, extremely few posters are talking about a ban but regulations.
    In fact 9/10 times the word ban gets mentioned it is from a pro-gun poster
    As I already stated the shit is regulated regulations do not stop the nuts from acquiring firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    it means its dishonest as hell to blame the gun, blame the person that used it.
    And its stupid as hell to pretend that the gun is irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    A lot of people are talking about intentional use of guns to cause harm.

1/4 of all gun-related deaths in the US are accidental. That means about 8000 people per year die to gun purely because they exist in the US.

In other countries, that number is as low as 50 people. In comparable population size, that is around 200 people. 8000 vs 200 people, purely because guns exist. If you can't see that it is because of the 2nd amendment, and subsequently why it needs to change, then I really don't know what to tell you.

Oh and to reinforce, these are accidental deaths. This is not even touching on the comparable stats between intentional use vs other countries, and even with other weapons (hint: Non-firearm related crimes nearly always end up with the weapon un-used and only as a threat, same can't be said about guns).

Simple numbers, simple facts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Both guns were stolen. Funny things, that. Criminals, by definition, don't obey the law.
    What's your source? Everything I've heard today stated that the weapons were purchased legally by the shooter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Primus View Post
    maybe usa needs to pass law against ammo, everyone is allowed to keep their guns but noone is allowed to buy any ammo = problem solved kthnxbb

Can I be your next President now?
    That would be a good idea in theory but there is no system in place to check where and how much ppl buy.
    Not to mention it would be extremly hard to convince people about any possible benefits.
    If someone plan something they can just stockpile a few months, also it would have to be illegal to pass on ammo that you bought to a 2nd part and how would that even be enforced.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Everytime a shooting happens this stupid topic comes up. Gun control makes no difference to the crazy people they can get them very easily in fact, more easily than those who follow gun regulations so your point is moot. You want them to ban guns? Not that I care but it won't happen the nuts will still be able to get them.
    Actually gun control would cause illegal guns to go up in price and higher end weapons to be harder to come by. You and many others have to remember that not all gun related crimes are done with illegal guns either. I see this from people all the time on here, its like they think only illegal guns are used in shootings. The guns used in the Columbine shootings were bought at a gun show FFS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathane View Post
    Thoughts? Your someone from another country trying to tell us how to run ours. That is my main though on this subject. Also I hear cocaine and heroin is bad we should BAN them too! I am sure that will take them off the streets.

Why do the same people who want to legalize marijuana with the argument "It will take the drug away from the drug dealer's hands" think that a gun ban/regulation would be good at all? I mean it would work just like any other thing we have banned. The cartel will now be selling guns, No need for ID my friend just bring lots of money!

You know Hitler in WW2 issued a gun ban on German citizens, I think we all know what governments really want with gun bans. A society that isn't armed and can't resist.
    We are all homo sapiens sapiens, the same species.

A little humility (yes, someone from across the globe giving valid advice on running your nation) can go a long way.

Instead, we are divided.

You know, I heard somewhere united we stand divided we fall.

Apply that to the species and not a singular fucking nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Latetomyownfuneral View Post
    mental disability/disorder owning a gun is illegal,.

There is no data base to go to to see if the person who is purchasing the gun has a mental illness it is just a box you check yes or no on the application when you purchase a gun
    But good luck trying to convince people that a nation wide list needs to be comprised of the mentally ill

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    16% is kind of low. No way it's that small.
    You're right 16% does seem low. I guess the way I calculated using the average of 6 per owner is flawed, because you have a bunch of people with one gun and then some guy with like 40 who skews it.

Surveys I've found (of self ownership, not "guns in the home") said about 29-30% which seems plausible. Children are completely ineligible to own one so that brings it down, and women have a drastically lower rate of gun ownership than men do (10-13% as far as I could see).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Probably zero, but the day isn't over yet. But I do know that the legally owned gun belonging to a Mother and Teacher killed 27 people today after her son stole it and shot up a school.
    So you are saying, in fact, that it was the killer's fault, not the gun's fault...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    As I already stated the shit is regulated regulations do not stop the nuts from acquiring firearms
    Many argue that the regulations are so lax that they are almost non-existant. The check ups, tests, training, license to get a driving license has been made already in this thread.
    I dont think many americans actually consider the regulations strict no matter if pro or anti regulations.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    So you are saying, in fact, that it was the killer's fault, not the gun's fault...
    Strawman more? No one is saying its the gun's fault. They're saying that the gun is a huge enabling factor.

Logic bomb:

Anyone saying "If we make guns illegal, only the crazies will have guns" just doesn't get it. While this is true, it's not a valid argument. It doesn't matter if only the crazy people will have guns, because there is nothing stopping them from using a gun to kill in either case, whether or not guns are illegal.

A) If guns are legal, they buy or steal easy to find legitimate guns, or use illegitimate guns to kill people, and there is nothing stopping them, because we don't live in Minority Report and there is nothing suspicious about carrying a rifle around.

B) If guns are illegal, they are forced to find rare illegitimate guns to kill people, and there is nothing stopping them, because we don't live in Minority Report, but it is extremely suspicious to carry a gun around.

Case A has far more tragic deaths than B. It's very simple.
    Last edited by sophos1; 2012-12-15 at 12:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    We do regulate them, just not very well. And a lot of it does depend on the state, though I've heard a couple people in this thread say otherwise. In my state, you can go to a gunshow and legally buy a gun without registering it. I mean, check this link out:

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_id.htm

That's Idaho, now look at California:

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_ca.htm

In California you have to register handguns, in Idaho, you don't.

In my state it's pretty easy to get a concealed weapon's license, which bothers me a bit. I know some real fuckin' crazy shits that somehow passed the test to get a concealed weapon's license.

that is misleading, Population of Idaho 1,584,985. Population of California 37,691,912.

Now lets look at gun deaths per capita.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...o-arizona.html

#40, California
    Gun deaths per 100,000: 9
    Permissive gun laws: 50th out of 50

#15, Idaho
    Gun deaths per 100,000: 12.5
    Permissive gun laws: 2nd out of 50