Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Practical uses of WoW irl?

For me WoW and especially constant hotfixes helped to master the art of percentages. I can extremely quickly calculate increases or reductions which can be applied often when buying stuff.

Do you have any uses you found from WoW?

Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    There a quite a few useful things that came out of WoW. The CDC used it to study how pandemics are spread. Psychologists use it to study how people work in teams and other things.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    haha, wow!

nothing remarkable, maybe a bit better english :/

Deleted
    Finding girls.

<3

Deleted
    If it weren't for Wow, I would've never came up with my greatest pick up line ever. "Hey, would like to hear about my lvl 80 paladin?". Guaranteed good time <3

10+ Year Old Account
    I've become far more organized and structured in my work ethic and even my daily life. I attribute that purely to WoW-raiding and item/strategy/planning seeing as I did little else for like 2 years. (Long story, it wasn't for laziness reasons) But before I was consistently told in school that I was bright but unorganized. Nowadays, my skills in structuring my day and projects are a thing of envy.

WoW can have positive repercussions, it's just less interesting to read about in the media after some mass murder happens to have an account.
    "Normal boring girl finds organizing thoughts and events much easier after playing popular MMO" reads a bit less interesting.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    There a quite a few useful things that came out of WoW. The CDC used it to study how pandemics are spread. Psychologists use it to study how people work in teams and other things.

I was thinking of your personal benefits.

Also yeah, my english is so good at the moment I doubt there's much space for progress in it, atleast in it's written form. I really need to find some english people to speak with, doubt I'd have many problems though.
    Last edited by mmoc98b28eb1ac; 2012-12-15 at 01:10 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friyn View Post
    If it weren't for Wow, I would've never came up with my greatest pick up line ever. "Hey, would like to hear about my lvl 80 paladin?". Guaranteed good time <3
    I prefer the old standard, "Hey baby your panties must be purple, cause that ass is epic."

I can see leading a PUG preparing people for the task of taking over management of a business branch or last minute project.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post

That video was quite interesting, if not enlightening. I wonder if he ever tried out EVE.

Just don't be one of those people who tries to weave WoW leadership skill into a job interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Just don't be one of those people who tries to weave WoW leadership skill into a job interview.
    Why not? "Why would you be a good CEO?" "Well, I have extensive leadership experience. I was once guildleader of Dat Asp, a guild of over 400 people. So, as you can see, I'm actually OVER-qualified for this job, and I wouldn't even need to be here if it hadn't been for someone hacking my account and deleting my character."

Quote Originally Posted by momirmaster View Post
    Although I believe that We never killed osama and OBAMA just used it as propaganda to win a election cause Osama's was probably dead for years I Usually am not gullible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    I entered this thread knowing that would be somewhere on the first page. Thank you for not disappointing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Those leadership skills got me a 2nd interview.

Managed to show the guy a video of an old 25 man LK kill (After some persuasion) on my iPad and he was impressed I was able to co-ordinate 24 other people to achieve a difficult goal.

To be fair, I spent most of the interview explaining how WoW worked. At least he was remotely interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    I was thinking of your personal benefits.

Also yeah, my english is so good at the moment I doubt there's much space for progress in it, atleast in it's written form. I really need to find some english people to speak with, doubt I'd have many problems though.
    If you're having problems with the fellow speaking in that video there is the full transcript in the description.

As far as personal benefits go, if the person doing the hiring was open to the idea of acknowledging skills learned through WoW then getting a job certainly has personal benefits.

Some benefits I've gotten are things such as working with people better even if they're being hardheaded and teaching people new concepts to improve their performance quickly and efficiently. I have also gotten an appreciation for statistical analysis and presentation thanks to the work at Elitistjerks and other theorycrafting sites. Starting off contributing to programs such as SimulationCraft can lead to looking at other open-source mass-contribution software that helps reshape the world as we know it such as by monitoring crime or disease outbreaks and finding patterns in them so others can use that data to improve a population's well-being.

I also learned how to type better while playing WoW as well as getting better situational awareness since standing in the fire is bad and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackinthegreen View Post
    If you're having problems with the fellow speaking in that video there is the full transcript in the description.

I also learned how to type better while playing WoW as well as getting better situational awareness since standing in the fire is bad and all.
    I understood him perfectly, it was more about general spoken conversations which are relatively hard to come by in non-english speaking countries.

Leading a raid, while sometimes likened to herding cats, really gives one a lot of practice in handling people and the logistics of said people. Mind you I had plenty of practice as an editor, but still.

Even if, for the most part, it's not really the kind of thing you can relate to an employer (perhaps with the very rare exception), coordinating large teams of people is a very applicable real world skill.

Deleted
    Not that much benefits, i guess it only helps with inspiration for architecture studies, however buildings in wow are poor designed;}

Deleted
    For non-english speakers who dedicatedly played the game for years, the gain in English skill is huge. It's also awoke my interest for the language.

Other than that, reactivity, but it is not peculiar to WoW; social skills (seems a bit paradoxal but it's a fact, when you have to deal with 2/4/9/24 persons often acting much more selfishly behind their screen then they would RL, in a high-stress environment), such as handling people, finer reading of others' emotions/feeling, self control, and much, much more; knowledge of statistical tools through Simcraft; dedication.

Worth mentioning too: true friends, sex partners, girlfriend.