Thread: "Best Friend"

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"Best Friend"

Okay so, I've been hanging out with this girl a lot recently and she has told me a couple of times that she considers me her best friend. She also recently broke up with her boyfriend and feels better when we talk. Will I ever be able to have a relationship with her if I wanted too? Or am I screwed?

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of my past girlfriends referred to me as their "Bestie" and "best friend" before we got together/hooked up. A lot of the times it's a term of endearment or a weird way for them to flirt. It's possible however, that you've already been "friend zoned" without even realizing it. Hopefully that's not the case, I'd say if you're truly interested in perusing her romantically, make that more clear.

IMO you have been friend zoned... But you can always try...
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    A lot of my past girlfriends referred to me as their "Bestie" and "best friend" before we got together/hooked up. A lot of the times it's a term of endearment or a weird way for them to flirt. It's possible however, that you've already been "friend zoned" without even realizing it. Hopefully that's not the case, I'd say if you're truly interested in perusing her romantically, make that more clear.
    I agree with this guy. But the problem is "past girlfriends". If she considers you a best friend and she gets out of a long term relationship to be with or sleep with you, then you'd be lucky to get more than a rebound relationship. You can go for it, and probably will, just hope that your friendship is strong enough to endure going back to the way things are now. That's assuming what you want from this girl is more than just sex.

You sound deep in the friendzone. It's best not to force any conversation about a relationship if you value your friendship.

Unless you're terribly bad at reading people, you should be able to figure this out on your own. To be blunt, it sounds like you're fairly young. Just bring it up, see what she says.

If you feel like you are getting "friend zoned", you need to start getting more physical and see what happens.

Start slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    If you feel like you are getting "friend zoned", you need to start getting more physical and see what happens.

Start slowly.
    With all due respect this is a terrible idea. If she's against it and you go to far, you will end your friendship in one big hurry.

If you have to get it off your chest, talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    With all due respect this is a terrible idea. If she's against it and you go to far, you will end your friendship in one big hurry.

If you have to get it off your chest, talk.
    I disagree.

Just basic touching and flirting is a good way to start.

It expresses your intentions. If you get a bad reaction, then it's obvious where the relationship stands.

But yes, don't go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    This sounds kind of rapey. If you don't see any indicators that she's interested in physical contact, it's most likely because she's not interested in physical contact. People that want to be touched lean into the person they want to touch them.

edit - To be totally clear, I'm using "rapey" as a flip adjective to describe unwanted contact, not literally referring to rape. Sorry if that misses the mark and offends anyone.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2012-12-15 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This sounds kind of rapey. If you don't see any indicators that she's interested in physical contact, it's most likely because she's not interested in physical contact. People that want to be touched lean into the person they want to touch them.
    Yeah, sit next to her and if she leans into you....there's a sign.

You're better off asking someone who knows you personally.

Sometimes best friends are just friends, sometimes they are potentially more. It depends on the person. You won't get any useful answers here unless you give us a large amount of details, and even then probably nothing useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your a kiwi give her 6 cans of RTD's and your in with a grin.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quirin View Post
    Okay so, I've been hanging out with this girl a lot recently and she has told me a couple of times that she considers me her best friend. She also recently broke up with her boyfriend and feels better when we talk. Will I ever be able to have a relationship with her if I wanted too? Or am I screwed?
    Be careful not to be someone's rebound. When relationships end, often people try to fill the hole the last one left behind as quickly as possible regardless of whether or not you're good for each other or if they even like you that much. You're providing an emotional outlet for her right now which is something she'll capitalize on, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's ready to jump back into a relationship. There's some pretty ugly things that can happen with rebounds because while you may be emotionally ready, she's still a mess. If she's still talking about her boyfriend, I wouldn't advise pursuing a relationship.

What Everything Nice said is true though; if you want to be more than friends with her, make your intentions clear. Don't try to mask yourself as a friend when you really just want to be with her, that way no one feels betrayed in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    When relationships end, often people try to fill the hole
    This comes to mind.

Really though, you're absolutely right.

I'm going to tell you, as a woman, what I've done and felt in the past when I was in her shoes. When I would break up with a guy I usually wasn't ready to jump into another relationship...but I wanted some kind of male companionship, be it platonic or not. What she may be feeling is very close to you because you're filling the emotional void that her break up has caused. This may or may not lead to a desire for intimacy beyond simple friendship, but usually it does. If you pursue her you may end up as a rebound and possibly ruining your friendship. I would wait it out, if I were you. Express your feelings that you want to be more than friends, but tell her you want to wait if she wants to take it further, as well. That's just my two cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This comes to mind.

Really though, you're absolutely right.
    Good ol' Quagmire, always there to make a statement sexual
    Gracias

As long as you don't get to the bfflxoxo rank then you're fine bro.
    Raaaa!

10+ Year Old Account
    You're dangerously close to being friendzoned.

Here's what you do: stop talking to people on the internet about it and just tell her, straight up, that you want to fuck her brains out. Well, maybe not those exact words, but you get the idea.

If she says she ain't interested, it's time to cut ties and move on. If she says she is interested, well, hey!

Whatever you do, don't stay quiet about what you want, and if she rejects you (rejection happens, it's nothing to be afraid of), move the fuck on.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

You have to be clear with her that you are interested in a relationship because chances are she just thinks of you as a friend until you push yourself out of that zone. if she's not into it, then you are just wasting your time.