Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
  1. #121
    I'm waiting for W9, cba to upgrade every version, im not an apple fanboi. Just like i skipped vista, i will skip this one too, specially if we go by the fact that xp is still supported ( not much more tho ), probably W7 will be still supported when W9 or whatever it name will be, released
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

  2. #122
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Anyone got a good trick for booting directly into desktop? I've no interest in the Metro interface, so it'd be nice to be able to ignore it and just boot right to the part I care about.
    ClassicShell does just that, plus brings back the start menu.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 01:35 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I'm not going to get it simply because it's a step towards closed up systems on Microsoft's part.

    Certainly it's not a closed system on itself and functions in many way just as openly as Windows 7, but for example when Steam cannot be attached to the mainscreen and the person have to go through the "effort" of switching to separate screen for opening it, thus "pushing it behind" it sort of speaks of Microsoft's future plans. *TINFOIL HAT* ...or is it? Microsoft certainly wants it slice of pie from Apple style closed OS.

    And while this "effort" I mentioned is not effort at all really, it is still a step into that direction, a step I won't monetarily support.
    Wait, what? Steam works just the same as it did in W7, and if you're saying it cant be pinned to the metroui then you're wrong lol, I just did it.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||HD6970/HD6950 crossfire|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||3x 1tb Western Digital HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

  3. #123
    im using win 8 atm, upgraded from win 7 to it cuz gf gave it to me as a christmas gift,
    i dont get all the fuzz, for me it works great,
    im a multi screen user tho .... 3 x acer 27" on a HD6990

    Booterang Game Community http://www.booterang-eu.com

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    ClassicShell does just that, plus brings back the start menu.
    I don't care about what start menu it is. Also, ClassicShell turned out to be a buggy POS for me.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The problem is that it isn't two wrongs. Having to learn how to use software is inherent to software, no matter the type or what it is. You always have to learn something about it at some point. You at some point had to learn how to use the 95, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista and 7 interface. You didn't just know how to do everything the first moment you booted one of those OS up. You learned how to use those Operating Systems so why can't you learn how to use windows 8? Yes it is different but at the same time it isn't that different. There are still a lot of intuititive things and there are a lot of things that as a seasoned and knowledgeable computer veteran you won't have problems with.

    It really sounds like your entire problem is summed up as it is Microsoft and it is New and actually has little to do with anything about Windows 8. Windows 8 is different and may take time to get used to but a lot of it is extremely easy to use. There are also a lot little tricks and tips that you can learn to turn into a windows 8 power user.
    No, not really since all those version of Windows had nearly identical interface designs. The only difference was the location of some buttons and the layout of the Control panel and various other tweaking features within Windows like the audio controls which really didn't change properly until Vista/7. Most of the core features of Windows stayed the exact same from 95 up until Vista came out. I have used every Windows OS since 95 came out, that includes Server 2003. All of them were very similar until Vista started making some changes to the overall layout and what sections allowed you to modify things, everything in the Control panel got a rework in Vista for ease of access, that's all that changed really.

  6. #126
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    17,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    I'd love to give Win8 a try, but I just don't see why I'd pay such a stupid amount of money to upgrade my perfectly working W7.
    Well..I think it is a fair point, if you are happy with W7 as it is. Yet..i wouldn't call 30 Euros a stupid amount of money...


    Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    So I'm forced to download an app or a 3rd pary program to use an interface I've used for the past 10 years? If I wanted something new I'd try Mac OS.
    I thought that is what people also like about their smartphone? You get a lean OS with it and dl the apps that you prefer? Now W8 tries to do the same (and that app is free) and it is bad?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Etc
    Here's a pro-tip: Don't try to be a therapist. You're doing a piss-poor job at it. Arguing that I don't really hold position A, but rather position B, is frankly rude.

  8. #128
    I am Murloc! rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No, not really since all those version of Windows had nearly identical interface designs.
    The relevant part is that you still had to learn to use the operating system at some point in time. If you used Windows prior to 95 you had to relearn a completely new UI. The first time using the 95-7 UI you had to learn how to use it. Why is 8 the exception to being required how to use it and something and a bad program because the developer didn't create it in a way that people don't have to learn how to use it.

    If we used the requirement of Drukenvalley we would all still be using Dos because no developer could create an OS that require someone to learn something new upon its release. Apparently Windows, and every developer that has every changed UI element, is wrong. But if everyone is wrong then everyone is also right. You could argue that it wasn't the right time, or the right way to phase out the 95-7 UI.

    But to argue that it shouldn't have been done just because you have to learn something new is silly. Just as it is silly to call them changing it before wrong as well when the 3.1 to 95 UI change was a celebrated and vast improvement during its time. Changing UI's in the past have turned out to be a right for Microsoft and Consumers and chances are it will be again.

    Or it won't and 9 will go back to the older method while all the other technology besides PC's modernize.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 09:26 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Here's a pro-tip: Don't try to be a therapist. You're doing a piss-poor job at it. Arguing that I don't really hold position A, but rather position B, is frankly rude.
    I'm never argued you don't hold position A or B. You said a developer that requires you to learn something new should be ashamed of themselves. That is calling windows 8 bad, because it requires people to learn something. You had to learn something at one point, which you also called a wrong by the way. I don't think you understand what your comments are actual implying about your position if you think I'm creating one for you.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2012-12-16 at 02:30 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    If we used the requirement of Drukenvalley we would all still be using Dos because no developer could create an OS that require someone to learn something new upon its release. Apparently Windows, and every developer that has every changed UI element, is wrong. But if everyone is wrong then everyone is also right. You could argue that it wasn't the right time, or the right way to phase out the 95-7 UI.
    Oi, if you're gonna call my name on something, at least not grossly misrepresent someone.

    Firstly, there are things that need to be learned, like it or not. You need to learn the alphabet. Some basic functionality with the hardware of a PC needs to be learnt. A basic modicum of learning has to take place to at all use any operating system.

    Secondly, I appear to have misunderstood your idea about the leap to Windows 95. No, Jesus Christ, what the fuck are you on? Going from text-input to a visible desktop is leaps and bounds improved design, and you need to understand that basic notion when pulling this sort of bullshit statement. You don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I'm never argued you don't hold position A or B. You said a developer that requires you to learn something new should be ashamed of themselves. That is calling windows 8 bad, because it requires people to learn something. You had to learn something at one point, which you also called a wrong by the way. I don't think you understand what your comments are actual implying about your position if you think I'm creating one for you.
    I don't think you understand that you're reading making shit up seemingly entirely based on things you seem to believe are "implied"; stop doing that or stop talking to me.

  10. #130
    I am Murloc! rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Secondly, I appear to have misunderstood your idea about the leap to Windows 95. No, Jesus Christ, what the fuck are you on? Going from text-input to a visible desktop is leaps and bounds improved design, and you need to understand that basic notion when pulling this sort of bullshit statement. You don't.
    The operating system prior to windows 95 wasn't text based. It was a GUI, graphical user interface. Before accusing someone of being on drugs you should at least make sure you have your facts correct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wi..._workspace.png is not a text input OS and made use of the mouse as the primary control. It didn't have a start menu. You are confusing windows 3.X with MS-DOS.

    So when you said Windows 8 requires you to learn and Microsoft should be ashamed for making it you weren't insulting the OS? What did you mean by that statement if you say I am making stuff up?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  11. #131
    Scarab Lord Frozen Death Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The forsaken lands of Sweden
    Posts
    4,727
    Not going to get Windows 8. The new interface is of no help for me, whatsoever, and upgrading something that will not be a significant performance upgrade is pointless. The day I get a new OS is the day I get a brand new computer and as of right now, I see myself getting Windows 9, which will more than likely be a more secure investment if they decide to keep this new interface. At least then I can know for sure if it is worth the money or not, since the developers should have had the time to see what does or doesn't work.

    I at least hope people who get Windows 8 will not get another "Vista" in terms of quality.

  12. #132
    Alright. This thread is basically just people flaming each other at this point. Closing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •