Post [BIO] Gar Plainstrider

Name
    : Gar Plainstalker (this is his actual name. I FUbarred the thread title lol)

Race: Tauren

Class: Hunter

Alignment: Lawful Good

Faction: Horde - Bloodhoof Tribe - (commonly accompanies Trolls to understand their hunting rituals) He is an officer of Hunter's Rise.

Personality: Very uplifting. Does not talk much, but is always positive (to a fault sometimes). Likes to joke and considers everyone a brother. Massive respect for each beast he slays. Understanding of other cultures views on hunting and never is one to challenge their way of living.

Likes: Being 'home' in Mulgore and enjoying the sun and sweeping plains. Going on hunting parties. Participates in month-long expeditions to find the next rarest beast to best or tame. His pet Darkpaw (black wolf). He has been with Darkpaw since he was young. It was the sole offspring of his father's pet and has stayed by his side since he was born.

Dislikes: Killing for no reason or if it is a one-sided fight. Strong distaste for Orcs' loyalty to Garrosh. Has a special hatred for the new warchief for slaying the most peaceful of Horde leaders there ever were.

Appearance: 7'4" with dark brown/white/black hide. Horns are protruding forward and outward about 1' in length. Scars litter his body, each with their own tale. Prefers ceremonial hunting garb to traditional outdoorsman clothes. Wears leather armbands and 1-shoulder armor. No helmet/chestpiece. Zhevra print hat (gift from father before he passed on). Always seen with his pet Darkpaw: A jet-black wolf that stands at average height. It has a few scars from some close calls while fighting rare beasts in the wild. The wolf has the same love for besting a tough foe as his master. His bow is adorned with feathers and fangs from the beasts he has defeated during his life. He wears a necklace of teeth from the toughest of opponents (beasts).

Strengths: He is a superb marksmon with a bow (always choosing raditional weapons over new technology). Can use other weapons if the need arises, but never better than a bow. He makes his own arrows and carries a small kit on him that allows him to make them on the go. He is also skilled with his blades: a short dagger at his right and a longsword at his left that he rarely uses when in melee combat. His pet Darkpaw is a powerful wolf and is experienced in battle. Few can go toe-to-toe with it. Adept at making traps from his surroundings (mainly bear trap/rope traps).

Weaknesses: While he is skilled in melee combat, he is no where near as strong as someone trained in the art. He tends to see the best in everyone and is willing to give anyone a chance at redemption (except the Scourge/demons). He honors all of his prey and believes in a 'fair fight' which has led to many close encounters with death. He is respected for the honor he bestows upon the most challenging beasts.

Backstory: Not much had happened to Gar in his early years. When he was born, his parents introduced him to Darkpaw. He was a jet-black wolf that immediately fell in love with Gar. The wolf was the sole offspring of his father's pet, Lightpaw (all white wolf). The two were inseperable from then on. Gar's father taught him the way of the hunter while his tribe moved from place to place. At a young age, he was expected to help defend the tribe from the relentless Centaur invasions across The Barrens. His skill with a bow was amazing and everyone knew Gar was 'his father's son'. Gar's father, Muhl, was the tribe's hunting leader. He prepared all hunting parties and participated in most.

Muhl was respected by his fellow Tauren and had been honored by Cairne after a great battle was won against the Kolkar. He was an old Tauren though and eventually died from natural causes. On his deathbed, he gave Gar his famous Zhevra print hat he always wore and, with a sigh, passed on with friends and family at his side. Gar made it his personal mission to honor his father by becoming a great huntsmen and help provide for the tribe as a whole.

When the Orcs had arrived, Gar did not trust them. He had never seen a green-skinned human and was weary of their arrival. When Cairne decided that the Bloodhoof Clan would join the newly formed Horde, Gar went with it trusting their leader's wisdom. Until then, Gar had never met an Orc or a Troll and quickly befriended his new allies. He was particularly fond of Troll hunting rituals and went on many adventures with different parties. With his new knowledge, he defeated many beasts that he would never have been able to before. He began to respect the Warchief Thrall and helped fight in the war against the Alliance.

With the construction of Thunder Bluff, Gar was given a position of trainer upon Hunter Rise. He spent a lot of time training the next generation in times of peace. When he heard of an expedition to another world, Gar knew he had to go. He joined a band of adventurers and crossed through the Dark Portal. When he made it to Nagrand he felt oddly at home. With the floating rocks and torn apart sky, he felt as if he were in a dream. Gar trained at Nesingwary's Camp for a short time and absorbed everything the younger Nesingwary had to offer. He had heard of Nesingwayr Sr. and knew that the talent for hunting would be passed on through generations. This is where he learned to use a gun efficiently, but hated the loud noise the weapons made. After besting the unfamiliar and wild clefthoof and talbuk, Gar made his way to Shadowmoon Valley where the final battle on this new world against the demons was going to happen.

His contingent was tasked with keeping the flying demons at bay while an eilte band of Adventurers made their way into the Black Temple. He quickly made friends with an Orc warrior named Rethgor and a troll shaman named Jen'Bing. The three of them (plus Darkpaw) were a deadly force and were known as the Triple Threat. They were able to dispatch a horde of demons on their own. Their best known story was when a Succubous had infiltrated their camp and had seduced the Troll captain into giving her the next day's battle formations. The captain, ashamed, did nothing to tell anyone and sent his forces in ahead of himself. When the battle started, Darkpaw smelled the enemy coming from behind and gave the Triple Threat enough time to form a defensive wall in the rear of the pack and they were able to withstand the brunt of the demon forces until reinforcements had arrived.

After the expedition to Outland, Gar returned to Thunder Bluff and began spreading his knowledge to his students and fellow trainers. He was quickly promoted to officer and spent most of his time counselling with the other Hunter's Rise officers or out looking for a beast strong enough to give he and his companion a challenge.

When the call to arms was sounded again for the northern continent, he decided to go not as a warrior, but as an explorer. He traversed the frosted, northern regions with Rethgor and Jen'Bing and they soon found themselves in a fight with the Scourge. These undead were not like the newly recruited Forsaken... they had no free will. They were mindless automatons and no respect for the land they destroyed. Gar found a great hatred for the monsters and slew any that crossed his path. His group sent reports to the Horde forces in Dragonblight about the Magnataur leaders there and that information helped secure a foothold in the desolate area.

He eventually made it to Shalozar Basin and this time studied under the master himself. Many other huntsmen flocked to the small camp so his time was cut short. When the time came for Hemet's "Who can slay 50 Rhinos the quickest?" competition, Gar refused to participate. He disliked hunting for sport and saw little respect for the creatures from his fellow students. The senior hunters there were familiar with Tauren hunting rituals and explained that dwarves and humans often hunted just for sport and that Gar shouldn't look down upon them for their beliefs just as they wouldn't look down on him for his. This was profound for Gar and he came to a uneasy understanding. He left Shalozar with a new perspective on his way back to Thunder Bluff.

When the Lich King fell, their was much rejoice in the walls of Orgrimmar and Thunder Bluff alike. Around all of Azeroth their were sounds of happiness and joy. Gar tried to go back to his regular life. He trained students and went to his meetings, but the call of the hunt was always calling to him. He bought a kodo and took a journey back to Orgrimmar and find his friends. Jen'Bing and Rethgor gladly went with Gar and the three of them traveled the length of Kalmidor experiencing all their was to see.

Nearly a year had passed when Jen'Bing began to act strangely. He sensed that the elements were in turmoil and that he needed to speak with the Earthen Ring. When they finally returned to Orgrimmar, Deathwing the destroyer had already begun his rampage. The three friends said their farewells as they were needed on separate fronts this time.

Being away for a year, Gar had not known that Thrall had went to the Maelstrom and that Garrosh had taken leadership, killing Cairne in the process. This angered Gar to no end and he swore vengeance against his new warchief. Baine was young, but had the wisdom of his father and the blessing of the Earthmother and Gar respected him as such.

Gar spent most of the next year fighting on the front lines with Darkpaw. The two of them graceful and unforgiving. Gar could never let go his anger against Garrosh and started to let it affect his own virtues. He felt hatred to the Orcs who were blindly loyal to such a infamous leader. He eventually made his was back to his close friends in the deserts of Uldum. They shared his views against Garrosh but never said a word against him openly. Their mission in Uldum was to infiltrate the Halls of Origination and help establish a foothold while the main forces were on their way. When the company that they went with entered they were attacked by strange creatures and many went down in the first few attacks. A large group had descended upon Gar and Darkpaw and with blades whirling and teeth biting, it looked as if he was done for. Gar ordered Darkpaw to retreat, but the loyal wolf did not. Gar smiled and was about to accept death's embrace when Jen'Bing threw lightning bolts at the enemy. "You have to go mon! I can take dees guys easy! GO! NOW!!" Jen'Bing yelled as the inhabitants turned their focus to him.

Gar tried valiantly to save his friend, but Jen'Bing knew what he was doing. He summoned an earth elemental to his side and began channeling a powerful spell. "Help me spirits! Take down mah enemies whateva da cost!" There was an explosion in the roof as a giant bolt of lightning came from the sky leaving a hole in the ceiling. Jen'Bing winked at Gar right before the bolt reached him and then everything in the immediate area was incinerated. Gar weeped openly and Darkpaw howled in a sign of respect for the fallen friend. "Your sacrifice will never be forgotten. Your story will be passed on through the ages. I promise you this my friend." Rethgor helped his friend out and the foothold was ready for the joined Horde/Alliance forces to move in.

Gar was sent immediately back to Thunder Bluff in order to fully recuperate and Rethgor was sent back into battle and returned once Deathwing had been defeated. After recovering at his home, he started to hear whispers in the wind. He had trouble deciphering them and followed the voices into Durotar. He was brought to the beaches east of Sen'Jin Village where they had placed a marker for Jen'Bing. When he arrived there the voices stopped and he said a silent prayer for his fallen friend. As Gar was about to leave an apparition appeared. It was Jen'Bing!

"Hey mon! How ya doin'? Long time no see." Gar was overjoyed that his friend had actually survived such an ordeal. "No mon. I passed on dat day. I come to you by da grace of da elements. You must keep going forward ma friend. You must carry on and help protek da whole of Azeroth. Bad times are comin' and dey gonna need all da help dey can get."
    "What is coming my friend? What can I do to help?"
    "Stay strong mon. All will be revealed soon enough. I must go now. I be keepin' watch on you and Rethgor. Tell dat slacker to keep his ears open next time da winds call to him. See ya around mon." And with that Jen'Bing was gone again. Gar wiped away a tear and said to the rolling waves, "Thank you my friend. You saved my life and I will do whatever I can to pass that gift on to Azeroth."

Several weeks later, Gar heard that a new continent had been discovered and that their had already been bloodshed on both sides. Gar sat and chuckled in spite of the terrible news. "Jen'Bing was right... Azeroth is going to need all the help it can get." And with that, Gar mounted his Kodo and with Darkpaw in tow, went on to Orgrimmar to collect Rethgor and prepare for what the future had ahead.
    Last edited by dangelo37; 2012-12-22 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Name
    Pokemon Y FC: 0791 - 2268 - 4024
    PM me if you add me so I can get you back
    My RP Characters: Tobias Greyfang Oliver Ogleton Gar Plainstrider

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi dang!

Another nice bio.Good job. I will have a comment, does gar's hatred of garrosh is the only thing he dislikes? Is it the only thing that defines him at that aspect? I mean, what will happen after Garrosh is dead (if that ever happens)? A little more depth here would be better i think. Also his history is quite interesting, i really wondered if his shammy friend died or survived that incident somehow.Thanks for the interesting read.

Great bio! I love the history and the story for his pet. Very heart-warming. :P Amazing job!
    Pyromaniac protégé.

Quote Originally Posted by dangelo37 View Post
    Strengths: He is a superb marksmon
    He has definitely been spending a lot of time among trolls :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Wow thanks for reading guys! This is most definitely still a WIP and many things will probably change... just wanted to get some early feedback.

@Meng: His hatred for Garrosh is a large part of his backstory but even more is his thrill of the hunt. He loves nothing more than going into the wild with Darkpaw and challenging a beast of great merit. His respect for the wild is something I want to emphasize and will update when I think of a good way to do it.
    Concerning Jen'Bing... I'm not sure where I want to go with it. Bringing him back seems kind of a bad way to go. Since he is a tauren and has a strong connection with the Earthmother and therefore a slight connect to the elements (like most Tauren do) I may go somewhere along the lines of Jen'Bing becoming a spiritual guide of sorts. Maybe his death being definite will strengthen his character and resolve? I'm not sure but I'll think of something good.

@Mexy: Thanks!! I wanted his pet to be particularly special. His father was great Tauren and I wanted Gar to have more respect for him than any other person. Getting his father's unique hat AND the offspring of his pet was a good way for Gar to show that respect long after he had passed.

@Morm: Best spellin error eva mon!

Finally a bit of time on my hands to comment on Bios again.

While I liked the story, and like the character a lot, there is a smaller contradiction to me left:

You say that he dislikes killing for no reason but he is taking it up with Nesringways expedition. Those hunters are usually troßhy hunters and have little in common with tauren hunting traditions.

I like the inclusion of a pet into his story, his traditional hunting garb and his dislike for firearms. Really not much more to say. Solid and true tauren character.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorianas View Post
    Finally a bit of time on my hands to comment on Bios again.

While I liked the story, and like the character a lot, there is a smaller contradiction to me left:

You say that he dislikes killing for no reason but he is taking it up with Nesringways expedition. Those hunters are usually troßhy hunters and have little in common with tauren hunting traditions.

I like the inclusion of a pet into his story, his traditional hunting garb and his dislike for firearms. Really not much more to say. Solid and true tauren character.
    Khor thanks for reading. You always have a unique perspective and a good knowledge of the Lore. Concerning the contradiction: you are absolutely right. Rereading those two parts made me think that it goes against all that he believes in. I edited it and it now reflects his true nature. Also, I made a decision about Jen'Bing and added it towards the end.

Take a last look and thanks again EVERYONE for reading

It is a pleasure to help. I must admitI only caught the contradiciton because a very good friend of mine, who plays a Tauren hunter in game refused to do the Nesringway quests exactly because of this.