Page 1 of 3
LastLast

who built the mana bomb?

on that whole "jaina versus blood elfs" thing, I often see people saying the blood elfs made the mana bomb that destroyed her home. I don't think that's what happened at all. let's take a look at it:

this is a blood elf mana bomb:

take a look at the details of obvious elven craftsmanship.

now this is the mana bomb that flattened theramore:

look at the sloppiness of obvious goblin craftsmanship. lots of uneven metal plates riveted together looking bound to failure. the exposed screws holding the two sides of the bomb together. elven pride would never allow a blood elf build something this messy for any reasons besides humor.

I don't think blood elves made the bomb. I think garrosh ordered the goblins to do so, based on kael'thas' old mana bombs. if there were blood elves involved, they were few and couldn't say anything about the bomb's design.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Pretty sure if http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/worl...=9781439171448 was read there would be no point for this.

Deleted
    Maybe they inserted ah-so-carefully-and-delicately-crafted-also-look-at-my-beautiful-hair mana bomb core inside old goblin portable WC?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
    Pretty sure if http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/worl...=9781439171448 was read there would be no point for this.
    unfortunately I don't have access to the book in my country (at least not without paying absurd importation taxes). WoWpedia just says the Horde built it. could someone paste the passage that says who built the mana bomb here?

Deleted
    Except for the fact that the Theramore "Mana Bomb" is not the same as the ones in the Outland, since it's a reworked Focusing Iris, rebuilt in matter of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Except for the fact that the Theramore "Mana Bomb" is not the same as the ones in the Outland, since it's a reworked Focusing Iris, rebuilt in matter of days.
    that doesn't change the fact that blood elves don't make ugly and sloppy-looking stuff. if you read sylvanas' short story:

"It wasn't good enough to be the best hunter in her family. She needed to take everyone's breath away as she ventured out."

for high/blood elves, it's not good enough that something is powerful and practical. it must also be beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
    Would make sense, but do you think it is fair move by Blizzard to force players to buy Christie Goldens books (won't say a word about their quality <couch>theysuck<cough>) just to be able to keep up with the story? 5.1 went revolutionary there, basically making the story fitting to be a novel being integrated into a series of daily quests.

Now every argument like that ends with Christie Golden. Mana Bomb? Check Christie Golden. Garrosh character change for no reason? Christie Golden wrote about this. This whole Anduin stuff around? Go spend your money on this nvel or else you won't get it.

What happens in game should stay in the game.

Deleted
    An interesting question and subsequent musings, OP.

You're probably right in thinking that the mana bomb was likely built by goblin engineers. However, I think it is pretty clear that at least a few blood elves, like Thelan Songweaver, were personally and intimately involved in the project and likely gave the engineers the schematics and knowledge required to build the bomb. They probably took a more supervisory role (being blood elves, they probably wanted to minimise their involvement in blue-collar work xD) but they were almost certainly involved and commissioned to undertake the task under Garrosh's orders.

The important thing is that, though these elves were likely Sunreavers, they were not acting in Sunreaver or even Silvermoon interests. They answered directly to Garrosh. This is why I believe Jaina's purge targeted the wrong group. It was the wrong thing to do objectively and morally.
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-12-15 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Scratched out bit not directly relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post
    Maybe they inserted ah-so-carefully-and-delicately-crafted-also-look-at-my-beautiful-hair mana bomb core inside old goblin portable WC?
    Pretty much. It's goblins delivering the bomb. It would make sense that they figured it needed a decent casing during transport. That's a pretty sound idea, considering that you're going to be carrying it hanging below a zeppelin going over an enemy fortress. Under those conditions, putting some plating on the thing so it doesn't get hit and detonate prematurely may be a good idea. Goblins are known to be reckless with explosives, but that's with their own explosives. I don't think they'd trust something built by any other race.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    Pretty much. It's goblins delivering the bomb. It would make sense that they figured it needed a decent casing during transport. That's a pretty sound idea, considering that you're going to be carrying it hanging below a zeppelin going over an enemy fortress. Under those conditions, putting some plating on the thing so it doesn't get hit and detonate prematurely may be a good idea. Goblins are known to be reckless with explosives, but that's with their own explosives. I don't think they'd trust something built by any other race.
    they should trust explosives built by any other race better than their own to explode at the right time lol

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post

The important thing is that, though these elves were likely Sunreavers, they were not acting in Sunreaver or even Silvermoon interests. They answered directly to Garrosh. This is why I believe Jaina's purge targeted the wrong group. It was the wrong thing to do objectively and morally.
    I thought Jaina ordered the Sunreaver purge, not because of the mana bomb, but because of them using their neutrality to open portals to Darnassus for Garrosh's forces to steal the Bell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    I thought Jaina ordered the Sunreaver purge, not because of the mana bomb, but because of them using their neutrality to open portals to Darnassus for Garrosh's forces to steal the Bell.
    Good point which makes that part of my response off-topic and I'll scratch it out but still it was Garrosh's agents who did that too, not people acting for the Sunreavers. The fact that the attack was executed using blood elf technology probably didn't help when she made the decision to conduct the purge as well. ><

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    that doesn't change the fact that blood elves don't make ugly and sloppy-looking stuff. if you read sylvanas' short story:

"It wasn't good enough to be the best hunter in her family. She needed to take everyone's breath away as she ventured out."

for high/blood elves, it's not good enough that something is powerful and practical. it must also be beautiful.
    But that's the thing, "beautiful" needs time. Garrosh gave none, he just wanted to deliver his payload.

Deleted
    Good question, OP. I have also wondered how did Garrosh discover that Blue Drogonflight is transporting Focusing Iris into the Frozen Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    I don't know about you, but to me, "misuse of portals for stealing a bell" sounds like a fat excuse to do what she wanted to do. she needed an excuse both to justify her actions to herself and for the other members of the six.

and let's be honest: garrosh broke the bell into pieces with a single strike. the bell was not indestructible. if the alliance didn't intend to ever do anything with the bell, they would have destroyed it. and it was in darnassus. remember the "a little patience" scenario? remember WC3, when tyrande was killing her own kind to break her friendzoned out of jail? tyrande is far too reckless to be a good leader. of course, the bell was better on her hands than on garrosh's (or not, since he destroyed it lol), but jaina put wards in darnasus to guarantee that the alliance would have a dangerous weapon of destruction and the horde wouldn't be able to get it. that's not neutrality.

---------- Post added 2012-12-15 at 02:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Archeus9 View Post
    Good question, OP. I have also wondered how did Garrosh discover that Blue Drogonflight is transporting Focusing Iris into the Frozen Sea.
    well, though garrosh doesn't listen much to them, he does have shamans (and far seers) at his command. far seers see things that are happening far away, so they can be used to this sort of thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    well, though garrosh doesn't listen much to them, he does have shamans (and far seers) at his command. far seers see things that are happening far away, so they can be used to this sort of thing.
    Yeah, but i still find it strange. I think that "something" helped him, and that this "something" will help him again when he starts losing war.

10+ Year Old Account
    I assumed it looked different because it had to be altered with the Iris, and probably other "adjustments."

I mean, the one in Terrokar looked elegant enough because it was sat nicely on the ground. It would probably need a protective coat if it was going to be flying around the sky, at risk of Alliance detonating it with anti-aircraft stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Archeus9 View Post
    Yeah, but i still find it strange. I think that "something" helped him, and that this "something" will help him again when he starts losing war.
    Its obvious since beggining he has an unseen advisor. Garrosh was painted as an unthinking brute, now he suddenly has understanding of tactics?

Who built the nuclear weapon and who built the ICBM to deliver it aren't relevant really, the one who ordered its use is what matters.

jaina put wards in darnasus to guarantee that the alliance would have a dangerous weapon of destruction
    Nice spin on it but that's simply a stinky pile of kodo crap. The Alliance had no intention nor any idea the Divine Bell could be weaponised at the time, the Horde made it clear they sought to weaponise the Sha by using Mogu tech, so the Alliance made a point of denying it from them. Jaina placed a ward over Darnassus to prevent ANYONE from absconding with it, not just the Horde. When she found the portal lead to Dalaran it was clear whom the culprits were. The Horde's mission is to commit genocide and enslave the Alliance after stealing and ravaging their land, the Alliance's mission is to prevent them from doing that (for OBVIOUS reasons) and beat them back into the hovels they belong in. You should take a cue from your name and check your facts before you delude yourself with BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Horde's mission is to commit genocide and enslave the Alliance.
    Nah, just genocide.

Who do you think we are.