Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

The exploitation of Sandy Hook shooting has begun.

I realize we cannot bash this religion or debate its beliefs. But as a political message I believe we should be able to discuss how insane the statement is. First off http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_..._United_States Kids have been getting shot in schools in America for well over 200 years. Secondly, Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee was the first person to progress this statement that removing God from the pledge of allegiance is to blame for school shootings. How do you guys feel about this? Personally, it makes me sick.

i feel fortunate to know some really good christians. because if i didnt this type of thing would be all i saw of christianity, and i would wish them all a death in fire. so, thank you good christians, for reminding me that not all that claim your religion are offensive retards

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post

I realize we cannot bash this religion or debate its beliefs. But as a political message I believe we should be able to discuss how insane the statement is. First off http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_..._United_States Kids have been getting shot in schools in America for well over 200 years. Secondly, Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee was the first person to progress this statement that removing God from the pledge of allegiance is to blame for school shootings. How do you guys feel about this? Personally, it makes me sick.
    Surprise! Politicians will say whatever hits a lot of people where it hurts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the timing is despicable, but they have a right to think that if prayer was in school that kids would behave better.

I think each person will take it differently. First I thought they were trying to say that if the kids had prayed harder that they would still be alive. Then a friend said that he posted it because he thinks that kids would behave better if they had Christian values in schools. Problem is that this shooter did not go to this school.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, God is allowed in schools; forcing kids to pray ritualistically is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post

Perhaps you've missed the myriad of lawmakers and others trying to exploit the tragedy for their own agendas. I would say that despite your claim that you aren't bashing religion that you are doing exactly that, and that you too are exploiting the tragedy to push your own beliefs on people.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Just wanted to note that the saying posted on that T-Shirt has been around for well over a decade.

and personally I would much rather have my schoolkids shooting each other out of true disdain and not because their imaginary friends differ in views.

I am in no way against religion, I believe a student has a right to learn about "all" the major modern religions in a classroom setting, but you know dam well Christianity wouldn't tolerate being taught side by side with other religions as ever self righteous parent would be boycotting their local school.
    Last edited by skrump; 2012-12-15 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Perhaps you've missed the myriad of lawmakers and others trying to exploit the tragedy for their own agendas. I would say that despite your claim that you aren't bashing religion that you are doing exactly that, and that you too are exploiting the tragedy to push your own beliefs on people.
    you might have a point if facebook hadnt been lit up with memes like this 5 minutes after the news broke

I don't like the statement on the shirt. As a Christian, that is misusing a tragedy for something that is not true. Doesn't everyone who believes in God believe in Omnipresence/omniscience/omnipotence? So by using that statement they are demeaning the value of their God.

Anyway, schools are a place where you learn to be accepting (and want to be accepted). So people accept the green or blue and pink colored hair, people elect the pregnant girl as prom queen, the unmarried father as the king, some schools have a place to get condoms, but if you pray in public, my, how horrific.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    the kid who shot up Sandy Hook wasnt allowed in either, surely "god" could have found a way in if he wanted too

People are looking for things to blame, I was in the ME3 thread here and there were FB posts about blaming that game for the shooting and all sorts of nonsense.

That T-Shirt is just basically trolling, and no good can come out of discussing it other than attributing it to the above behavior.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    you might have a point if facebook hadnt been lit up with memes like this 5 minutes after the news broke
    Point is still valid, when you make statements w/o the facts then you cant be speaking as an informed person, regardless of facebook, twitter, etc.... Thus, they are speaking with their agenda... True?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Just wanted to note that the saying posted on that T-Shirt has been around for well over a decade.

and personally I would much rather have my schoolkids shooting each other out of true disdain and not because their imaginary friends differ in views.

I am in no way against religion, I believe a student has a right to learn about "all" the major modern religions in a classroom setting, but you know dam well Christianity wouldn't tolerate being taught side by side with other religions as ever self righteous parent would be boycotting their local school.
    Just out of curiosity, what separates a modern religion like christianity from the old Greek Pantheon of gods. Why should one be given my credibility than another?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I don't like the statement on the shirt. As a Christian, that is misusing a tragedy for something that is not true. Doesn't everyone who believes in God believe in Omnipresence/omniscience/omnipotence? So by using that statement they are demeaning the value of their God.

Anyway, schools are a place where you learn to be accepting (and want to be accepted). So people accept the green or blue and pink colored hair, people elect the pregnant girl as prom queen, the unmarried father as the king, some schools have a place to get condoms, but if you pray in public, my, how horrific.
    I doubt anyone would have a problem if you pray in public as there are some religions that require often praying or fixed hours praying. And to be fair it's not school, it's the world or more to say the "democratic" world (by that take it more as the country) you live in. People should accept that everyone can and prob is doing w/e they want and feel is good. So what you find imoral might be moral for someone else, what you find bad (still legal in the guide of the law) some find good.

And to extend the idea to "acceptance" towards what OP posted, anyone can make a t-shirt with what message they want as long as it's legal. But ofc that does not mean he is right...

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess it's more about people opposing secularization by piggybacking events like this rather than being about the belief itself. I find it fairly tasteless to abuse it this way. One more reason for secularization actually.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    [...]you know dam well Christianity wouldn't tolerate being taught side by side with other religions as ever self righteous parent would be boycotting their local school.
    Christianity certainly would tolerate it but the fundamentalists and dogmatists within that would not.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Point is still valid, when you make statements w/o the facts then you cant be speaking as an informed person, regardless of facebook, twitter, etc.... Thus, they are speaking with their agenda... True?
    yes, he limited all of the stuff out there to a narrow parameter, and is therefore pursuing an agenda. but that not not make his point invalid

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    I guess it's more about people opposing secularization by piggybacking events like this rather than being about the belief itself. I find it fairly tasteless to abuse it this way. One more reason for secularization actually.

Christianity certainly would tolerate it but the fundamentalists and dogmatists within that would not.
    Actually one of the biggest premises of Christianity is "One true God" and I'm pretty sure it says to actually says "Go out and kill the heathens of other false gods" in the bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what separates a modern religion like christianity from the old Greek Pantheon of gods. Why should one be given my credibility than another?
    Many more people believe in Christianity, and with that comes the "appeal to the people" fallacy (if many believe it, it is credible).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

That doesn't explain why religion gets a "free pass" though.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2012-12-15 at 05:41 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Under god was added to the Pledge during the 1950's, so before that it wasn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
    Under god was added to the Pledge during the 1950's, so before that it wasn't there.
    because commies are heathens!