Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Videogames will always be blamed for school shootings. This whole, "public schools abandoned god" is just stupid. Methinks just keep religion out of schools. Keep it at home, between you and your family, and the religious building you visit often.

1. Buy Mass Effect
    2. ???????????????
    3. Murder Adolescents

I can't seem to find step 2 regardless of how well I educate myself about this tragedy, which is weird because certain highly reputable news teams were fine with reporting steps 1 and 3. I'm starting to think step 2 is "disregard step one."

We must construct additional pylo.....common sense facilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Already has.

A bad reporter falsely accused the murderer's brother of the massacre. That brother liked Mass Effect on Facebook and for a while the Mass Effect page was littered with deranged psychopaths blaming the game and BioWare for this horrible incident.

Going by their logic, if I went to school and killed 20 people, it's Neil deGrasse Tyson's fault, because I liked him on my FB page.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Going by their logic, if I went to school and killed 20 people, it's Neil deGrasse Tyson's fault, because I liked him on my FB page.
    Technically, everything is Neil Degrasse Tyson's fault. He is God and he allows these things to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    People are not inherently evil. There is always a reason.

People never kill "Just cause"

There are always factors.

Not saying that those reasons absolve them from blame however.
    I disagree with this statement. While, evil is probably a strong word, people are not inherently good. "Good" is a learned behavior. Nobody has to teach their children how to be bad, or misbehave, or go into fits of anger. They know those things instinctively. People have to be taught to NOT do those things.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-shootings-map

Look at the years all these shootings took place. Since the advent of video games, especially violent video games, how often have mass shootings occured? What has happened in the past 30 years or so? There's a reason why some people blame video games to an extent. I use to just roll my eyes at the thought. But I'm not so sure anymore.

I use to think morality was subjective and that my morality may not be suited for some people. Maybe mine is superior after all. It surely doesn't include killing people indiscriminately.

Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post

Look at the years all these shootings took place. Since the advent of video games, especially violent video games, how often have mass shootings occured? What has happened in the past 30 years or so? There's a reason why some people blame video games to an extent. I use to just roll my eyes at the thought. But I'm not so sure anymore.

I use to think morality was subjective and that my morality may not be suited for some people. Maybe mine is superior after all. It surely doesn't include killing people indiscriminately.
    Yes, they blame video games because it's the newest "devil's toy". Before video games it was rock and sex.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    People always look for something to blame, video games are an easy target.

Blame is a coping mechanism, by having something to blame people are able to make sense of horrible acts like this, Just let them rant on about video games. Ultimately nothing will come from it.
    Sorry, but that's just stupid and dangerous. Letting people blame whatever they want as some sort of non existent coping mechanism is how you get the Salem Witch Trials and people even today in less developed parts of the world being murdered for witchcraft and other nonsensical things.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 05:12 PM ----------

Before video games it was Rock and Roll. Before Rock and Roll it was premarital sex. Before that it was the devil. I'm sure there was something they blamed violence on before the devil. Don't buy in to their nonsense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Gordon View Post
    1. Buy Mass Effect
    2. ???????????????
    3. Murder Adolescents

I can't seem to find step 2 regardless of how well I educate myself about this tragedy, which is weird because certain highly reputable news teams were fine with reporting steps 1 and 3. I'm starting to think step 2 is "disregard step one."

We must construct additional pylo.....common sense facilities.
    the ending to the game is what pushed him over the edge ^_^

15+ Year Old Account
    It already has.

Extremely early on too.

On PIX 11 here in NY they said after getting Ryan Lanza's Facebook profile that the shooting was "Styled after Mass Effect", noting it was a video game. They kept mentioning this over and over and over. Like they had cracked the code as to why he done it, as if they found a letter in his pocket that read;

"Dear world,

This shooting was in style of the wildly popular video game Mass Effect. Make no mistake!"
    -Me"

The irony of the situation being that they came to this wonderful 2+2=947 realization when they looked at Ryan Lanza's Facebook Profile page, who had simply "liked"/"favorited" Mass Effect, and in the end was not even the shooter.

They touted this line for the better part of an hour "The shooting was styled after Mass Effect!", "The shooting was done in the style of Mass Effect!", "The shooting was done in Mass Effect style!", like the held the golden ticket to why these things happen.

It was truly disgusting. The reporting on this shooting has been nothing but unprofessional, poor, insensitive and just absolutely horrible.

This article covers one of the many reasons why, in part, our news outlets failed us, once again, during this time.

I wish there was a way to get their live broadcast from that day. I wish I had a DVR.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2012-12-17 at 02:50 AM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Sorry, but that's just stupid and dangerous. Letting people blame whatever they want as some sort of non existent coping mechanism is how you get the Salem Witch Trials and people even today in less developed parts of the world being murdered for witchcraft and other nonsensical things.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 05:12 PM ----------

Before video games it was Rock and Roll. Before Rock and Roll it was premarital sex. Before that it was the devil. I'm sure there was something they blamed violence on before the devil. Don't buy in to their nonsense.
    I gotta run to the store real quick. But what is it in your opinion that has happened in our society? Can you point out a root cause of the increase in mass shootings? If it is an increase in exposure to violence, what can we possibly do to change? It's what consumers want and most aren't negatively affected, not to the point of committing such an atrocious act anyway.

I gotta run to the store real quick. But what is it in your opinion that has happened in our society? Can you point out a root cause of the increase in mass shootings? If it is an increase in exposure to violence, what can we possibly do to change? It's what consumers want and most aren't negatively affected, not to the point of committing such an atrocious act anyway.
    Nothing has happened in our society. There have ALWAYS been mass killings. There have ALWAYS been people who are broken and hurt other people on a large scale. The only difference in the last 30 years is the 24 hour news cycle makes celebrities out of them and keeps it in the public eye for months(sometimes years) after it's been done.

Edit: I mean, it's a proven fact that violent crime has been going DOWN in the US for the last 20 years. Meanwhile, media sensationalism about violent crime has been skyrocketing in the same time frame.
    Last edited by nnelson54; 2012-12-16 at 05:55 PM.

might be from all the attention given to violent murderers now. just look at how the medias having a field day. so these people think, "hey im a pathetic waste of space, might as well take some people out with me and be famous."

in any case, the shooters mom was the one who familiarized him with guns, and even took him to shooting ranges on a regular basis.

kind of tough to blame games with that staring you in the face.

Deleted
    if it wasnt for the tragedy that was the shooting the medias responce would be totally hilarious. They fucked up jumped on a bandwagon then had it yanked out from under them when they realised theyd fingered the wrong person. Pity it will mean nothing in the end... they will always do this as its an easy spin to sell articles.

Morgan Freeman said it best. The media is to blame for these shootings. they blow up everything so that these sickos are immortalised for their depraved acts. This nutjob will be remembered by everyone because the media makes them famous for what they have done. These days we see more and more of these shootings because the sad acts that once would have just killed themselves now decide to go out in a blaze of twisted glory to make sure that noone will forget about them.
    Last edited by mmocb5ea813129; 2012-12-16 at 05:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    It already has.

Extremely early on too.

On PIX 11 here in NY they said after getting Ryan Lanza's Facebook profile that the shooting was "Styled after Mass Effect", noting it was a video game. They kept mentioning this over and over and over. Like they had cracked the code as to why he done it, as if they found a letter in his pocket that read;

"Dear world,

This shooting was in style of the wildly popular video game Mass Effect. Make no mistake!"
    -Me"

The irony of the situation being that they came to this wonderful 2+2=947 realization when they looked at Ryan Lanza's Facebook Profile page, who had simply "liked"/"favorited" Mass Effect, and in the end was not even the shooter.

They touted this line for the better part of an hour "The shooting was styled after Mass Effect!", "The shooting was done in the style of Mass Effect!", "The shooting was done in Mass Effect style!", like the held the golden ticket to why these things happen.

It was truly disgusting. The reporting on this shooting has been nothing but unprofessional, poor, insensitive and just absolutely horrible.

This article covers one of the many reasons why, in part, our news outlets failed us, once again, during this time.

I wish there was a way to get their live broadcast from that day. I wish I had a DVR.
    Styled after Mass Effect?

Was the killer a Biotic, casting singularities or something? Throwing incineration tech powers out of his omni tool? Freezing people with cryo blast? Levitating them with a biotic lift?

Or was he indoctrinated by some Reaper artifact he dug up in his backyard? Hearing voices from Harbinger?

Do they realize just how stupid they sound when they say shit like that?

If you point a gun and kill people, technically you're killing people in the style of . . . . every combat shooter game ever made that has guns.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    I've grown to realize that anything with influence can be a "cause" while I personally don't believe that it could cause me to do something batshit insane such as that, I do believe it can influence others. Movies and TV shows had the same thing when they made "Smoking look cool" and if someone saw a kid smoking, they'd blame the movies. Same thing in my eyes. Video games just tend to be more violent, and you're more in control, so sure, why not, blame them. But I'll keep playing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Was probably playing World of Warcraft the morning he decided to do this.

Just kidding.

Video games don't create violence. Lag does.
    ^^ True statement above, this is the reason my wall tends to have a few holes that I had to patch up lol.