Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Scarab Lord Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Standing in the Fire, as always.
    Posts
    4,457
    I like the last picture where the guy said "The murderer drank water: We should ban water" because it makes as much sense than blaming Mass Effect. Heck, I'd blame CoD before ME since CoD TRIES to be realistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Those are penis compensation device-sized parking spaces, man.

  2. #42
    Bloodsail Admiral StaeleAilar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,117
    Of course, i bet he was playing Call of Duty or WoW. You know, both of those games teach you to go out killing people.

    As a general rule, think of all of the media as a bunch of uninformed idiots who like sensationalism to rally even more idiots to make stupid demands. Rather than focusing on the "he played video games ermagerd" crap, they should focus on "the government STILL lets every Tom, Dick and Harry have access to guns even though this crap keeps happening".

  3. #43
    Videogames will always be blamed for school shootings. This whole, "public schools abandoned god" is just stupid. Methinks just keep religion out of schools. Keep it at home, between you and your family, and the religious building you visit often.

  4. #44
    1. Buy Mass Effect
    2. ???????????????
    3. Murder Adolescents

    I can't seem to find step 2 regardless of how well I educate myself about this tragedy, which is weird because certain highly reputable news teams were fine with reporting steps 1 and 3. I'm starting to think step 2 is "disregard step one."

    We must construct additional pylo.....common sense facilities.

  5. #45
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,529
    Already has.

    A bad reporter falsely accused the murderer's brother of the massacre. That brother liked Mass Effect on Facebook and for a while the Mass Effect page was littered with deranged psychopaths blaming the game and BioWare for this horrible incident.

    Going by their logic, if I went to school and killed 20 people, it's Neil deGrasse Tyson's fault, because I liked him on my FB page.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Going by their logic, if I went to school and killed 20 people, it's Neil deGrasse Tyson's fault, because I liked him on my FB page.
    Technically, everything is Neil Degrasse Tyson's fault. He is God and he allows these things to happen.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    People are not inherently evil. There is always a reason.

    People never kill "Just cause"

    There are always factors.

    Not saying that those reasons absolve them from blame however.
    I disagree with this statement. While, evil is probably a strong word, people are not inherently good. "Good" is a learned behavior. Nobody has to teach their children how to be bad, or misbehave, or go into fits of anger. They know those things instinctively. People have to be taught to NOT do those things.

  8. #48
    Mechagnome vastx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    676
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-shootings-map

    Look at the years all these shootings took place. Since the advent of video games, especially violent video games, how often have mass shootings occured? What has happened in the past 30 years or so? There's a reason why some people blame video games to an extent. I use to just roll my eyes at the thought. But I'm not so sure anymore.

    I use to think morality was subjective and that my morality may not be suited for some people. Maybe mine is superior after all. It surely doesn't include killing people indiscriminately.

  9. #49
    Elemental Lord Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,046
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-shootings-map

    Look at the years all these shootings took place. Since the advent of video games, especially violent video games, how often have mass shootings occured? What has happened in the past 30 years or so? There's a reason why some people blame video games to an extent. I use to just roll my eyes at the thought. But I'm not so sure anymore.

    I use to think morality was subjective and that my morality may not be suited for some people. Maybe mine is superior after all. It surely doesn't include killing people indiscriminately.
    Yes, they blame video games because it's the newest "devil's toy". Before video games it was rock and sex.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    People always look for something to blame, video games are an easy target.

    Blame is a coping mechanism, by having something to blame people are able to make sense of horrible acts like this, Just let them rant on about video games. Ultimately nothing will come from it.
    Sorry, but that's just stupid and dangerous. Letting people blame whatever they want as some sort of non existent coping mechanism is how you get the Salem Witch Trials and people even today in less developed parts of the world being murdered for witchcraft and other nonsensical things.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 05:12 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-shootings-map

    Look at the years all these shootings took place. Since the advent of video games, especially violent video games, how often have mass shootings occured? What has happened in the past 30 years or so? There's a reason why some people blame video games to an extent. I use to just roll my eyes at the thought. But I'm not so sure anymore.

    I use to think morality was subjective and that my morality may not be suited for some people. Maybe mine is superior after all. It surely doesn't include killing people indiscriminately.
    Before video games it was Rock and Roll. Before Rock and Roll it was premarital sex. Before that it was the devil. I'm sure there was something they blamed violence on before the devil. Don't buy in to their nonsense.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Gordon View Post
    1. Buy Mass Effect
    2. ???????????????
    3. Murder Adolescents

    I can't seem to find step 2 regardless of how well I educate myself about this tragedy, which is weird because certain highly reputable news teams were fine with reporting steps 1 and 3. I'm starting to think step 2 is "disregard step one."

    We must construct additional pylo.....common sense facilities.
    the ending to the game is what pushed him over the edge ^_^

  12. #52
    Moderator Krekko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    4,318
    It already has.

    Extremely early on too.

    On PIX 11 here in NY they said after getting Ryan Lanza's Facebook profile that the shooting was "Styled after Mass Effect", noting it was a video game. They kept mentioning this over and over and over. Like they had cracked the code as to why he done it, as if they found a letter in his pocket that read;

    "Dear world,

    This shooting was in style of the wildly popular video game Mass Effect. Make no mistake!"
    -Me"


    The irony of the situation being that they came to this wonderful 2+2=947 realization when they looked at Ryan Lanza's Facebook Profile page, who had simply "liked"/"favorited" Mass Effect, and in the end was not even the shooter.


    They touted this line for the better part of an hour "The shooting was styled after Mass Effect!", "The shooting was done in the style of Mass Effect!", "The shooting was done in Mass Effect style!", like the held the golden ticket to why these things happen.

    It was truly disgusting. The reporting on this shooting has been nothing but unprofessional, poor, insensitive and just absolutely horrible.

    This article covers one of the many reasons why, in part, our news outlets failed us, once again, during this time.

    I wish there was a way to get their live broadcast from that day. I wish I had a DVR.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2012-12-17 at 02:50 AM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    | [MoP]Ret Paladin Guide | Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

    WoW Level Scaling Feature

  13. #53
    Mechagnome vastx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    676
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Sorry, but that's just stupid and dangerous. Letting people blame whatever they want as some sort of non existent coping mechanism is how you get the Salem Witch Trials and people even today in less developed parts of the world being murdered for witchcraft and other nonsensical things.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 05:12 PM ----------



    Before video games it was Rock and Roll. Before Rock and Roll it was premarital sex. Before that it was the devil. I'm sure there was something they blamed violence on before the devil. Don't buy in to their nonsense.
    I gotta run to the store real quick. But what is it in your opinion that has happened in our society? Can you point out a root cause of the increase in mass shootings? If it is an increase in exposure to violence, what can we possibly do to change? It's what consumers want and most aren't negatively affected, not to the point of committing such an atrocious act anyway.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    I gotta run to the store real quick. But what is it in your opinion that has happened in our society? Can you point out a root cause of the increase in mass shootings? If it is an increase in exposure to violence, what can we possibly do to change? It's what consumers want and most aren't negatively affected, not to the point of committing such an atrocious act anyway.
    Nothing has happened in our society. There have ALWAYS been mass killings. There have ALWAYS been people who are broken and hurt other people on a large scale. The only difference in the last 30 years is the 24 hour news cycle makes celebrities out of them and keeps it in the public eye for months(sometimes years) after it's been done.

    Edit: I mean, it's a proven fact that violent crime has been going DOWN in the US for the last 20 years. Meanwhile, media sensationalism about violent crime has been skyrocketing in the same time frame.
    Last edited by nnelson54; 2012-12-16 at 05:55 PM.

  15. #55
    Legendary! darenyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cho'gall (US)
    Posts
    6,132
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    I gotta run to the store real quick. But what is it in your opinion that has happened in our society? Can you point out a root cause of the increase in mass shootings? If it is an increase in exposure to violence, what can we possibly do to change? It's what consumers want and most aren't negatively affected, not to the point of committing such an atrocious act anyway.
    might be from all the attention given to violent murderers now. just look at how the medias having a field day. so these people think, "hey im a pathetic waste of space, might as well take some people out with me and be famous."

    in any case, the shooters mom was the one who familiarized him with guns, and even took him to shooting ranges on a regular basis.

    kind of tough to blame games with that staring you in the face.

  16. #56
    if it wasnt for the tragedy that was the shooting the medias responce would be totally hilarious. They fucked up jumped on a bandwagon then had it yanked out from under them when they realised theyd fingered the wrong person. Pity it will mean nothing in the end... they will always do this as its an easy spin to sell articles.

    Morgan Freeman said it best. The media is to blame for these shootings. they blow up everything so that these sickos are immortalised for their depraved acts. This nutjob will be remembered by everyone because the media makes them famous for what they have done. These days we see more and more of these shootings because the sad acts that once would have just killed themselves now decide to go out in a blaze of twisted glory to make sure that noone will forget about them.
    Last edited by Wikkr; 2012-12-16 at 05:49 PM.

  17. #57
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    It already has.

    Extremely early on too.

    On PIX 11 here in NY they said after getting Ryan Lanza's Facebook profile that the shooting was "Styled after Mass Effect", noting it was a video game. They kept mentioning this over and over and over. Like they had cracked the code as to why he done it, as if they found a letter in his pocket that read;

    "Dear world,

    This shooting was in style of the wildly popular video game Mass Effect. Make no mistake!"
    -Me"


    The irony of the situation being that they came to this wonderful 2+2=947 realization when they looked at Ryan Lanza's Facebook Profile page, who had simply "liked"/"favorited" Mass Effect, and in the end was not even the shooter.


    They touted this line for the better part of an hour "The shooting was styled after Mass Effect!", "The shooting was done in the style of Mass Effect!", "The shooting was done in Mass Effect style!", like the held the golden ticket to why these things happen.

    It was truly disgusting. The reporting on this shooting has been nothing but unprofessional, poor, insensitive and just absolutely horrible.

    This article covers one of the many reasons why, in part, our news outlets failed us, once again, during this time.

    I wish there was a way to get their live broadcast from that day. I wish I had a DVR.
    Styled after Mass Effect?

    Was the killer a Biotic, casting singularities or something? Throwing incineration tech powers out of his omni tool? Freezing people with cryo blast? Levitating them with a biotic lift?

    Or was he indoctrinated by some Reaper artifact he dug up in his backyard? Hearing voices from Harbinger?

    Do they realize just how stupid they sound when they say shit like that?

    If you point a gun and kill people, technically you're killing people in the style of . . . . every combat shooter game ever made that has guns.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  18. #58
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,569
    I've grown to realize that anything with influence can be a "cause" while I personally don't believe that it could cause me to do something batshit insane such as that, I do believe it can influence others. Movies and TV shows had the same thing when they made "Smoking look cool" and if someone saw a kid smoking, they'd blame the movies. Same thing in my eyes. Video games just tend to be more violent, and you're more in control, so sure, why not, blame them. But I'll keep playing them.


  19. #59
    Pandaren Monk Iamanerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    1,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Was probably playing World of Warcraft the morning he decided to do this.

    Just kidding.

    Video games don't create violence. Lag does.
    ^^ True statement above, this is the reason my wall tends to have a few holes that I had to patch up lol.
    Intel I5-2500k @4.8Ghz| Noctua NH-U9B | Asus P67 Deluxe | 16GB G.SKILL Ares 2133Mhz
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB/1TB | 512GB MX100 | 1TB WD Black x2 | 2TB WD Black |3TB WD Green NAS x2
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | SeasonicX 650 | NXZT H440 | Asus PB278Q | Razor Naga Molten Edition | CM Quick Fire Rapid TK
    Asus Xonar Essense STX | Presonus E5 x2 | Takstar HiFi 2050's

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •