Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    A guy a work with and game with wanted me to find some info on this out for him because he wants to do it. I am just entertaining the idea.

I am happy with my build though, what would you suggest for me? I higher resolution monitor? a new GPU?
    my bad then because you said the idea sounded tempting aswell in this thread.
    gpu likely as weakest link. (570 is by no means bad, i had one prior to my 670 ^^ ) screen depends on allot on personal taste.
    in regards to the guy you are getting info for, what kind of software would he use to warrant the hexa-core? (what intended purpose? more specifics are required in order know if someone could use a hexa over a quad core chip)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    The 3960X has 3mb cache and higher stock clocks. Its probably binned higher.

Yes the 3960X's increase performance does not justify its price. No the two are not the same. I doubt anyone buys 3960Xs because they want to be special snowflakes. They buy it because its the best and money is not an issue for them.

By the way, if you're considering the 3960X, then go for the 3970X which is newer and has higher stock clocks (probably binned higher).
    i guess my post went completely over your head

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    my bad then because you said the idea sounded tempting aswell in this thread.
    gpu likely as weakest link. (570 is by no means bad, i had one prior to my 670 ^^ ) screen depends on allot on personal taste.
    in regards to the guy you are getting info for, what kind of software would he use to warrant the hexa-core? (what intended purpose? more specifics are required in order know if someone could use a hexa over a quad core chip)
    I am entertaining the thought it does sound tempting because i do believe after the new consoles drop games will use more and more cores just as the future goes on.

But he just games same as me thats about it.
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Deleted
    I am entertaining the thought it does sound tempting because i do believe after the new consoles drop games will use more and more cores just as the future goes on.

But he just games same as me thats about it.
    no reason to get a hexa-core intel chip then......

edit : for your gpu i would wait untill the 7xx series , new consoles won't be anything your 570 can't handle. (consoles are outdated a few years by default at their release time.)

He's going the air cooler thanks for the help guys.
    I am staying with my current setup i hope it will be years before my cpu bottle necks me in gaming !
    Hopefully going to use my tax return and go up to 1440p gaming but does anyone have any suggestions for a great brand this is what I found. I want a brand name, not the korean models they sell on ebay btw!.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001523
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

The panel is what matters. That is a good one. They fixed the BLB, I'm told but haven't checked.
    The same panel can be found in the ASUS PB278Q which I personally prefer.
    There's also the DELL UltraSharp U2713HM.

no reason to get a hexa-core intel chip then......
    Wanting one should be sufficient reason, and it appears Seiz's friend wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The panel is what matters. That is a good one. They fixed the BLB, I'm told but haven't checked.
    The same panel can be found in the ASUS PB278Q which I personally prefer.
    There's also the DELL UltraSharp U2713HM.
    Going with Asus fits perfect in my budget !!! Thanks you think my CPU will hold up for a long while though?
    Also I just hope Nivdia releases 3gb Graphics cards though with the next generation to power that higher resolution!

On a side note, I could just go ahead and get the 7970 3gb card in two weeks if it would provide atleast close to 60fps on that resolution on most games.
    Last edited by Seiz; 2012-12-17 at 06:28 AM.

Deleted
    Going with Asus fits perfect in my budget !!! Thanks you think my CPU will hold up for a long while though?
    Also I just hope Nivdia releases 3gb Graphics cards though with the next generation to power that higher resolution!
    They got 4gb gpu's already xD
    Your CPU should be plenty for years to come with gaming.

They got 4gb gpu's already xD
    Your CPU should be plenty for years to come with gaming.
    This is way more in my budget would it be sufficient?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202008

I'd definitely give that a go-ahead. Fact of the matter is, AMD is stronger in larger resolution since they have more VRAM and higher memory bandwidth.
    I've had no issues with AMD drivers for they 1.5 years I used an AMD-card, and I think nVidia had larger problems in that period.
    7900-cards overclock like mad as well.

If it helps.

I'd definitely give that a go-ahead. Fact of the matter is, AMD is stronger in larger resolution since they have more VRAM and higher memory bandwidth.
    I've had no issues with AMD drivers for they 1.5 years I used an AMD-card, and I think nVidia had larger problems in that period.
    7900-cards overclock like mad as well.

If it helps.
    Thanks im going ahead and ordering this, definitley will need the vram and higher memory for the monitor !

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i guess my post went completely over your head
    No it did not.

Special snowflake items for rich people are like diamonds and ivory with no practical value. Items like the 3960X and Ferraris do have a improved practical value over their alternatives, even though it might not justify their price. The 3960X which is (most likely) binned higher holds its value for overclocking enthusiasts, who are by no means rich yet are willing to pay the price premium for a golden piece of silicon. This is completely different from a product which has no practical value that rich people buy to either show how rich they are or to have it to have it, not to use it. I think my explanation went over YOUR head.

You're just trying to justify your own purchase of the 3960X by thinking you're a special snowflake and using that to be a dick to everyone else. If you wanted to be a special snowflake, you should have bought something like a diamond studded case. Something that shows you're truly spending money to spend money.

Thanks im going ahead and ordering this, definitley will need the vram and higher memory for the monitor !
    Techpowerup's Catalyst 12.11 review shows negative scaling at high resolutions between the 660 Ti and 7950 only occurs at above 2560x1440 resolution.

Infracted
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-12-17 at 04:30 PM.

Purely out of interest:

The 3960X has something like 16MB cache, the 3930K has rather less (which is pretty much the biggest difference other than the completely unlocked multipliers). What kind of benefit does the extra cache give, and what kind of work does the computer need to be doing for it to make $500 worth of a difference?

Cache in that regard is like RAM. More in absolute numbers only matter if you'd otherwise have run out.
    It raises the roof. I doubt you'd realistically hit that. It's noticable in benchmarks which puts it ahead the 3930K in benches at the same clock. Slightly. Those who take it into account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    No it did not.

Special snowflake items for rich people are like diamonds and ivory with no practical value. Items like the 3960X and Ferraris do have a improved practical value over their alternatives, even though it might not justify their price. The 3960X which is (most likely) binned higher holds its value for overclocking enthusiasts, who are by no means rich yet are willing to pay the price premium for a golden piece of silicon. This is completely different from a product which has no practical value that rich people buy to either show how rich they are or to have it to have it, not to use it. I think my explanation went over YOUR head.

You're just trying to justify your own purchase of the 3960X by thinking you're a special snowflake and using that to be a dick to everyone else. If you wanted to be a special snowflake, you should have bought something like a diamond studded case. Something that shows you're truly spending money to spend money.

"special snowflake" = is a strawman

basically, the 3 extra MB of L3 are going to have little impact in performance versus a 3930k, it's also not binned higher than the 3930k, both the 3930k and the 3960x are binned the same, both are higher than the 3820,the price tag is to separate out those who really want the top end chip from those who are willing to settle, meaning it's value is purely esoteric

overclocking enthusiasts get the C2 stepped 3930k, not the 3960x

also, stop assuming that only 'rich' people buy a 3960x

i can assure you that people buying a 3960x are getting it either because not very many people have one (relative to i5s), or because it's the "big kid" cpu

there is no real performance gain to be had by getting the 3960x over the 3930k, and people buying them should know this, spending money to have something that is cool and top end is not the same as spending money for the sake of spending money, if i wanted to do that, i would buy a tesla and use it as a coaster
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-12-17 at 09:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cache in that regard is like RAM. More in absolute numbers only matter if you'd otherwise have run out.
    It raises the roof. I doubt you'd realistically hit that. It's noticable in benchmarks which puts it ahead the 3930K in benches at the same clock. Slightly. Those who take it into account.
    well, actually given this is mmo-champion. It's more than slightly for a relevant game

WoW likes cache memory.

I suggest the whole to-and-fro regarding the 3960X stop. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    well, actually given this is mmo-champion. It's more than slightly for a relevant game

[IMG]http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5091/42339.png[IMG]

WoW likes cache memory.
    I think that graph illustrates clockspeeds and hyper-threading deficiency more than anything - considering the placements of the LGA1366 extreme CPUs and how the i7 2600K is below the i5 2500K despite higher clocks and higher cache.