Looking to get a good pair of headphones w/ clip on mic.

Hey everyone, I'm looking for advice on what headphones I should get for the PC with a Zalaman clip on mic. My budget is $100 and to be honest I don't really know to much about headphones etc. so any help will be greatly appreciated!

15+ Year Old Account
    Sennheiser HD 555's, comfy as hell and I've had mine for like 6+ years and they still work perfect.

Deleted
    Sennheiser or AKG would be a good choice, maybe even the Bowser and Wilkins headphones (havent tried these). I also want to warm you about Audio Technica ath-m50 which lots of people recomended me. I ended up buying them and to be fair the sound is amazing for the price but these are some of the most uncomfortable headphones I have ever owned and long playing sessions feels like torture if I wear these all the time.

Avoid any 'gaming' headphones / headsets and invest in a proper set - such as a pair of Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica or Shures. If at all possible, try the headphones on in store (to avoid any comfort issues) and buy them online as you'll tend to get a massive discount over retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Zace View Post
    Sennheiser HD 555's, comfy as hell and I've had mine for like 6+ years and they still work perfect.
    The 555's have been replaced by the 558's but it is way beyond the $100 target range.

Deleted
    Siberia V2 headset has an extendible mic that you can pull outwards and push back in. It's also just a great all round headset

Sennheiser has had a recent track record of bad build. Even if it wasnt so, i'd still recommend the takstar 2050 or PRO 80 (they're 20$ apart in terms of price)since it's great for the budget - the 2050 runs for 63$ and the pro80 for 85ish i believe. one's closed and the other's open. Either way, great for most music with the exception of metal rock/metal. ( for which you should be looking at the Alessandro MS1 or an orthodynamic like the T50RP
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Sennheiser has had a recent track record of bad build. Even if it wasnt so, i'd still recommend the takstar 2050 or PRO 80 (they're 20$ apart in terms of price)since it's great for the budget - the 2050 runs for 63$ and the pro80 for 85ish i believe. one's closed and the other's open. Either way, great for most music with the exception of metal rock/metal. ( for which you should be looking at the Alessandro MS1 or an orthodynamic like the T50RP
    Still agreeing with Keller on this one. I've been ordering the Takstar 2050hi headphones in for friends and family now too. No one can get a hold of anything with better quality for less than the $200~ mark.

Im using the zalman clip ons, cant really complain except to say that it will pick up every bit of background noise.

I'm really liking the looks of Takstar 2050, but these should do well for gaming? and i listen to music from time to time.

Edit: Also where can you order these from? I found one guy on amazon but its all the way from china, is it good to order from him?
    Last edited by Iamanerd; 2012-12-18 at 07:01 AM.

That's where he got his from, iirc.
    Also take a look at the Creative Aurvana Live if you want a pair of closed cans.

Deleted
    I'm glad Keller managed to persuade me into buying a pair of Takstar Hi2050's - they are amazing for the price.

I ended up paying 640 SEK for my pair, and that's with a large import tax added to the mix (original purchase was 422 SEK). Estimated this should be around $35-40, and with tax additions you might end up paying $60-70 total. However, these headphones easily outperform pairs at $200 and above. I put them head to head against a pair of DT880's at a local HI-FI store and while the DT880 sound better than the HI2050's when hooked up to a $300 amp, the HI2050's really hold strong against them unamped. I even let the store manager have a listen and he was amazed when I told him the price (he retails the DT880's for 2799 SEK atm). You might want to pick up an amp later on to boost the bass (because frankly, it's a bit lacking) but they run fine off my Xonar DX (and should with on-board sound too).

You order them from E-bay. I used a retailer in Singapore who I had earlier contacted via e-mail. The delivery to Sweden was swift; just about 4-5 days. Swedish postal service wasn't as swift though...

Alright sounds good, well i'm going to order them off amazon as I haven't set up an account on ebay lol but the seller on amazon has good rating so it should be fine. Also what amp do you have/would you recommend?

Also here's the link for amazon in-case anyone wanted it.
    Last edited by Iamanerd; 2012-12-18 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I'm glad Keller managed to persuade me into buying a pair of Takstar Hi2050's - they are amazing for the price.

I ended up paying 640 SEK for my pair, and that's with a large import tax added to the mix (original purchase was 422 SEK). Estimated this should be around $35-40, and with tax additions you might end up paying $60-70 total. However, these headphones easily outperform pairs at $200 and above. I put them head to head against a pair of DT880's at a local HI-FI store and while the DT880 sound better than the HI2050's when hooked up to a $300 amp, the HI2050's really hold strong against them unamped. I even let the store manager have a listen and he was amazed when I told him the price (he retails the DT880's for 2799 SEK atm). You might want to pick up an amp later on to boost the bass (because frankly, it's a bit lacking) but they run fine off my Xonar DX (and should with on-board sound too).

You order them from E-bay. I used a retailer in Singapore who I had earlier contacted via e-mail. The delivery to Sweden was swift; just about 4-5 days. Swedish postal service wasn't as swift though...
    Oh? I found the bass to be quite the thing on these, it was not punchy but it was pretty prominent and never outstood it's welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Alright sounds good, well i'm going to order them off amazon as I haven't set up an account on ebay lol but the seller on amazon has good rating so it should be fine. Also what amp do you have/would you recommend?

Also here's the link for amazon in-case anyone wanted it.
    A good strategy i've found is to look for local hobbyists(Via your variation of craigslist) that dont bother selling them widely on the internet, but make amplifiers and audio equipment. I recently got a tube amp off of one guy for the equivalent of 25 bucks. This obviously would not work for the UK or US, but it's a decent place to look at.

If not, most fiios are up to the job as well as are the new Schiit 99$ amp and 99$ DAC offerings.

Deleted
    Oh? I found the bass to be quite the thing on these, it was not punchy but it was pretty prominent and never outstood it's welcome.
    Perhaps that's my pair. Only got around 100 hours on them so far, perhaps it will improve over time. Amped the bass certainly shines through though, but I still find the DT880's to be a bit... punchier.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Perhaps that's my pair. Only got around 100 hours on them so far, perhaps it will improve over time. Amped the bass certainly shines through though, but I still find the DT880's to be a bit... punchier.
    Aye, also there's no inteference and more detail.