Poll: What race(s) do you think Blizzard dropped the ball on most?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Biggest race 'letdowns'?

Of all the playable races in WoW, which races (in design, WoW-storyline, etc) do you think Blizzard dropped the ball on the most?

I'm gonna go with Blood Elves. After playing TFT, I almost immediately made a Blood Elf when I upgraded to BC just because they were so badass in TFT, and I was horribly disappointed with how their model was, how unseriously a lot of them were taken, and how the badassness that I felt they were in TFT had disappeared. Stuff like Johnny Awesome and the Belf from the "Day when Deathwing came" quest don't really help either.

My 2nd place is Draenei. With all the unexplored lore with Argus, the betrayal by Kil'jaden/Archimonde, the Naaru, it's really disappointing that the Draenei have really been forgotten about.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

I say blood elves because there is no option to play a male blood elf
    No but really the male model could be better. Way better.
    Check out my livestream and follow me on twitter.
    /
    I Livestream and do giveaways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blood Elves. I cannot take them seriously. I never rolled one and never will (seriously, I don't even know what their starting zone is called)

10+ Year Old Account
    Draenei just bore me to fucking tears, really don't know why, but I just do NOT give two fucks about them at all. I love blood elf lore, but man they really dropped the fucking ball on the male model. Then they have to go and make nozdormus model look amazing, even though it uses the night elf skeleton. If they made blood elves look like nozdormu, without the night elf skeleton, I would totally be a blood elf.

I honestly think every race other than humans and orcs are lacking, draenei lacking the most, tauren probably a close second.

I kinda hate that the focus is on like the humans and the orcs. The other races barely see any development (some ranging in degree to others) and yet they have the blandest most predictable leaders who seem to get all this face time.

Makes me sick to my stomach that for the alliance side of things they're trying to make Variyan "high king" of the alliance with the likes of Tyrande and Velen bowing to him. What the hell is that kinda crap story writing?

Worgen. You introduce a badass savage element to the Alliance...and then completely ignore it after their starting zone. And to top it off, the Horde get to see the second half of their story while the Alliance is left wondering what the hell happened.

Oh but don't worry - the Worgen got given a tree in Darnassus. Not even the Worgen Quarter that was hinted at before Cata launched.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goblins don't really have a story and feel shoehorned in. They were chillaxing on their island, Deathwing blew up the volcano, they got stranded on another island, they met Thrall, and joined the Horde. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Worgen. You introduce a badass savage element to the Alliance...and then completely ignore it after their starting zone. And to top it off, the Horde get to see the second half of their story while the Alliance is left wondering what the hell happened.

Oh but don't worry - the Worgen got given a tree in Darnassus. Not even the Worgen Quarter that was hinted at before Cata launched.
    This exactly. Worgen get the most obvious shaft, but a lot of other races barely get any screen time besides < Random Soldier > in Ally army. Gnomes, they wont even attempt to give them any kind of story. Dwarves? They set up the council and Moira coming back...and? Draenai? They were used as a footstool to give Belfs the spotlight in BC. Night elves? Well, there is some story with them, but most involves them getting slaughtered and their lands set on fire.

So far, the races that are spotlight hogs, are humans, orcs, trolls, and friggen blood elves.

The retconned Draenei in general I really don't like. I don't like any of the "new" lore about them.

Worgen also have become really uninteresting being just cursed humans. Vanilla wow was setting them up for something different and I can't help thinking it would have been so much better if they were really the extradimensional savages they were originally portrayed as.

Though not exactly a letdown in the same way that you mean it, I always feel let down with quests whenever I find a specific kind of settlement.

"Oh look, a Dwarf encampment. How long will they wait before asking me to save their stolen beer? First round of quests, you say? How surprising."

I feel let down whenever quest designers take the cop-out option and give the usual racial quests instead of trying for something interesting.

Night elves got massively watered down ingame, they were the original badass savage race, now look at them. Draenei are the most neglected in lore, probably equal with worgen now tbh, but their neglect has gone on for longer. I didn't vote gnome but probably should also have, they get no development, they're treated as comedy fodder, poor gnomes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixie View Post
    This exactly. Worgen get the most obvious shaft, but a lot of other races barely get any screen time besides < Random Soldier > in Ally army. Gnomes, they wont even attempt to give them any kind of story. Dwarves? They set up the council and Moira coming back...and? Draenai? They were used as a footstool to give Belfs the spotlight in BC. Night elves? Well, there is some story with them, but most involves them getting slaughtered and their lands set on fire.

So far, the races that are spotlight hogs, are humans, orcs, trolls, and friggen blood elves.
    Trolls? Seriously? The darkspear had as much story development as the gnomes before MOP and even now there isn't much, in fact it's basically all about Vol'jin rather than the tribe.

Maybe you're confusing the darkspear with trolls in general who are usually just cannon fodder with no real backstory other than "they went mad and killed their gods. Go bash them."

OT: Belfs did become a running joke but i think that was only accentuated because they were put alongside a faction with beast races. They were always gonna look girly.

Still I think the Worgen and the Draenei are worse off. The former had a story that never got finished and are likely to become gnomes 2.0 and the latter just got forgotten once the sunwell patch ended. Giving them a ton of NPC's for the horde to butcher in the wilds doesn't really make up for that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Split my vote betwen the Night Elves, Draenei and Worgen

10+ Year Old Account
    Draenei - I don't like Worgens much either, but they are better then Dreanei in my opinion.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Humans and Orcs, because they made those capitals so big and unimportant that the other capitals are essentially worthless... in essence, Blizzard is saying that only Humans and Orcs matter, and the only reason any other race exists is as a backdrop to the story of how "awesome" STORMWIND AND ORGRIMMAR are.

(Yes, I count making something too important or central as "dropping the ball" and "a letdown".)

I have to say worgen gets the biggest shafting

After the starting zone you get nothing unless you do the forsaken starting zone and even after that you get nothing no continuation nothing just a few NPCs dotted around

and is greymanne ever gonna do anything and will crowley ever make a return even though im horde through and through i love my worgen alt and i love the worgen lore so i want to see more of it

Quote Originally Posted by Bokor View Post
    Trolls? Seriously? The darkspear had as much story development as the gnomes before MOP and even now there isn't much, in fact it's basically all about Vol'jin rather than the tribe.

Maybe you're confusing the darkspear with trolls in general who are usually just cannon fodder with no real backstory other than "they went mad and killed their gods. Go bash them."
    I agree trolls are usually just fodder to kill and seem randomly placed. Like the Amani thing from Cata, and those dudes in one of the Mists raids (I barely care and it shows). Im like, where the hell did trolls come from?

But the Darkspear does have an active leader now that will probably have a huge impact on the main story, and I woulodnt be surprised if he's set up as the new warchief. Trolls leading the horde? Thats a big deal.

But at least Volgin and Lore-whats his face, are getting some story time. The Gnome, Worgen, Night elf, and Draenai leaders are doing jack shit as usual.

*I have to add, Tyrande is a big let down, particularly from Cata. They finally give her something to do and that was show up in a heroic set in the past and told to hush up while her man calls the shots. Then they stick that walking zoo in Darnasus while he's buddy buddy with the horde who have been killing night elves and burning forests. He's even neutral that he doesnt defend his wife if horde invade Darnasus.
    Last edited by Alixie; 2012-12-16 at 05:06 AM.

Night elves are the worst looking things I've ever seen within a video game.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to say Goblins are a huge flop. I rarely see Hordies playing them. And their story is pretty weak after Azshara.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)