Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Has Blizzard's reputation of late going to hurt Titan?

I know the game is long from being released but they have achieved a playable version as of last year. But I cant help wonder if the less than stellar release of Diablo 3 (dont start with sales figures we all know how the actual game turned out) and the decline in WoW population since Cataclysm is going to affect whether or not people will buy another Blizzard game. Just wondering, seeing the direction Blizzard is heading, and knowing how their recent releases have turned out is that going to affect the sales of Titan at all? I cant comment nor will I on SC2 as I have never played it. But would you buy another Blizzard game seeing how they have treated WoW in recent years as well as Diablo 3? Normally I will buy any new MMO and try it out regardless of what people in Beta have said or what reviews it gets pre-release. I mean I played Aion and SW:ToR for several months each before finally saying enough is enough and quitting, but Im very skeptical about buying another Blizzard game.
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2012-12-16 at 06:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure lots of people will try out Titan, especially because regardless of blizzards status people will still get hyped for a new release that is at least a shoe in to be a good game, perhaps not be as confident that it will be that rare gem that consumes their lives forever as they had hoped. But then again it really depends on the premise of the game, which we still know very little about. If people find it interesting then more people will want to try it out, so really only time will tell.
    Last edited by Cat1337; 2012-12-16 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    I know the game is long from being released but they have achieved a playable version as of last year. But I cant help wonder if the less than stellar release of Diablo 3 (dont start with sales figures we all know how the actual game turned out)
    The actual game turned out great and has only been improving since. Oh wait, are you saying that the ENTIRE game is bad because of the FIRST DAYS of problems because Blizzard DIDN'T THINK the game would be as huge as it was? Well that's just stupid.

and the decline in WoW population since Cataclysm
    WoW's subs have gone up since Mists launch.

is going to affect whether or not people will buy another Blizzard game. Just wondering, seeing the direction Blizzard is heading, and knowing how their recent releases have turned out is that going to affect the sales of Titan at all? I cant comment nor will I on SC2 as I have never played it. But would you buy another Blizzard game seeing how they have treated WoW in recent years as well as Diablo 3? Normally I will buy any new MMO and try it out regardless of what people in Beta have said or what reviews it gets pre-release. I mean I played Aion and SW:ToR for several months each before finally saying enough is enough and quitting, but Im very skeptical about buying another Blizzard game.
    SC2 was a champion of games. HoTS will probably follow suit.

Mists is arguably the best release yet.

D3 is phenomenal. Sure there are idiots who think the game is terrible because they couldn't log in for the first few days of its release, and because they're so stupid they let their accounts get hacked and tried blaming it on Blizzard, but that doesn't mean the game isn't good.

"But it got so many negative reviews and people got hacked when they had authenticators." Yea, it got TONS of negative reviews BEFORE IT CAME OUT and those people ended up lying (and getting called out on it or admitting it later on), but we'll let those count as long as it paints Blizzard to be the bad guy.

To be honest, I don't care if morons don't buy more Blizzard games because they're too stupid to understand how quality they actually are. I loved D3, I loved SC2, I'll love HotS, I love Mists, Cata was eh, Wrath was eh, and I loved BC.

But to answer your question, will Blizzard's reputation of having the most retarded fan base hurt Titan? Probably.
    Last edited by Boogums; 2012-12-16 at 06:32 AM.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    The actual game turned out great and has only been improving since. Oh wait, are you saying that the ENTIRE game is bad because of the FIRST DAYS of problems because Blizzard DIDN'T THINK the game would be as huge as it was? Well that's just stupid.

D3 is phenomenal. Sure there are idiots who think the game is terrible because they couldn't log in for the first few days of its release, and because they're so stupid they let their accounts get hacked and tried blaming it on Blizzard, but that doesn't mean the game isn't good.
    I didn't have a problem with not being able to play the first few days (Was kinda neat for me, as I had exams so I didn't even have to restrain myself from go playing instead of studying :P), but I still think Diablo 3 was a disappointment.

I went through and cleared Inferno in under 2 weeks, so yes I did actually play the game.

Disappointment = / = Sucks though. I would give it a 6.5/10(A bit above average), while diablo 2 *with* LOD was a 9/10. I just don't think it lived up to the high-quality games Blizzard are used to making.

Now as to why I think it was a disappointment? I don't want to get into that, but a lot of people think so too and it's not because of those two reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfInvocation View Post
    I didn't have a problem with not being able to play the first few days (Was kinda neat for me, as I had exams so I didn't even have to restrain myself from go playing instead of studying :P), but I still think Diablo 3 was a disappointment.

I went through and cleared Inferno in under 2 weeks, so yes I did actually play the game.

Disappointment = / = Sucks though. I would give it a 6.5/10(A bit above average), while diablo 2 *with* LOD was a 9/10. I just don't think it lived up to the high-quality games Blizzard are used to making.

Now as to why I think it was a disappointment? I don't want to get into that, but a lot of people think so too and it's not because of those two reasons.
    So a bad game with an expansion that made it great is better than a bad game? No way! Thankfully the game wasn't finished and shipped, it was improved, and even still, if your complaint about it was "I beat it too quickly" then you're in the minority, because most people's complaints was that it was too hard.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    So a bad game with an expansion that made it great is better than a bad game? No way! Thankfully the game wasn't finished and shipped, it was improved, and even still, if your complaint about it was "I beat it too quickly" then you're in the minority, because most people's complaints was that it was too hard.
    I didn't say I beat it too quickly. I only wrote that paragraph so you can see I did use a good amount of time in the game, and actually knew what I was doing(A tiny bit at least) while not thinking the game was less-than-stellar because it was too hard like a lot of other people complained about, like you said.

And I don't think Diablo 2 vanilla is a bad game. I would give that a 7.5/10.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfInvocation View Post
    I didn't say I beat it too quickly. I only wrote that paragraph so you can see I did use a good amount of time in the game, and actually knew what I was doing(A tiny bit at least) while not thinking the game was less-than-stellar because it was too hard like a lot of other people complained about, like you said.

And I don't think Diablo 2 vanilla is a bad game. I would give that a 7.5/10.
    So then, what didn't you like about D3?

Titan is going to be so filled with lunatics on either side of the spectrum that it won't even be worth it to play.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Wow was the first MMORPG that they did ,this meaning that it was something new for them also there are things you cant change in wow the game is 8-9 years old they couldnt make radical gameplay changes so when Titan is released they ll use all the feedback they have and all the expirience from wow and create a hell of good game , or a t least thats what seems logical to me.

Titan will be vaporware. It will go the way of Ghost

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Many people moved on for certain reasons, not to say Blizzard didn't make any mistakes. A game can't be perfect - nothing really can. I love the games they create and I'm sure Titan will be an accomplishment, followed by a sour community asking for changes across the board each patch/expansion and many mistakes that will happen, with learning from them and trying to develop content that suites the entire population.

It doesn't matter what blizzard release at this point, the sheer amount of hardcore fanboys and hardcore haters in the gaming community pretty much makes most mmos retarded to play on release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

People are thinking Titan is going to be too many things its not.
    Just like some people hate on D3 because they never played D2 (but hey, gotta yell that D2 was the greatest thing ever or people are going to invalidate your opinion) and then found out that the game genre is not their cup of tea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

I just cant help thinking back to a game called Vanguard. It was made by most the original Everquest Dev team when it was still run by Verant, which probably was better than the WoW Vanilla Team. It failed hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Late? When have they annouced a release time period? It's always been when ready. It'll be fine. People are generally rabid over whatever they launch.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Kiry View Post
    Late? When have they annouced a release time period? It's always been when ready. It'll be fine. People are generally rabid over whatever they launch.
    "Of late" means recently.

Will the little bad reputation Blizzard gained from Diablo 3 hurt Titan sales? No they won't. Most people already forgot what actually happened at the start from D3 and most people already forgot how "bad" Cataclysm was. People are now playing MoP and a patched version of D3 that is again the best of its genre.

But let's take a look back at D3 because I think the same thing will happen with Titan. When D3 launched there were so many people who bought the game that it even exceeded Blizzard's expectations and Blizzard wasn't able to produce enough boxes so that everyone could buy the game (there are still people who don't want to buy games for the same price digital). It's "always online" policy was new to a lot of people and with the unstable servers at start it really wasn't the best experience you could get but in the first 2 months the game was only offline for I think 7 days and after the first 2-3 days there were no queues or random disconnects. The biggest thing people didn't like (and what showed what kind of community and players in general have evolved from the past) was the auction house.

Since Diablo 2 people demanded a safe way to trade items and with a region-wide AH Blizzard gave people what they wanted but people felt forced to use it. A lot of players didn't realize that the game ends after you've beaten hell mode and that inferno was an extra mode to motivate people to farm better gear. In D2 it wasn't that hard to beat hell and after that only a small portion of players did additional runs to get better gear. With inferno Blizzard wanted to give all the other players a reason to keep playing the game but all these people thought they have to beat inferno. In order to do so they need better gear and farming the gear over weeks and months as supposed wasn't an option for them so they looked for a shortcut and with the AH they found one and they felt they are forced to use the AH to get the required gear.

You can see something similar in WoW where people (once they cleared normal mode) moan that heroic is too hard and that they can't beat it on heroic and Blizzard has to make it easier because when there is content that is unavailable to them, it's a bad thing (and when it's available to everyone it's also a bad thing because then people can't feel special).

With the current community and players in general that always want to feel special and always want to do everything (just look at the optional daily quests in WoW) it's impossible for anyone to match the expectations. It doesn't matter what you do because there will always be a big crowd that moans it's the wrong thing they did. Titan will have a bad time at start because a lot of people will buy the game and then bitch about everything they can find until things cool down after 2-3 months. Today that's normal and happens with every game. Same thing happened with GW2, SWToR, AC3, Halo4 and so on. There are always people that moan and when the game is truly good people will stop moaning as they did with GW2, D3, AC3, Halo 4...

Well, Blizzard did just release and great WoW expansion and managed to fix some of Diablo's problems. I think their reputation will be fine when Titan comes out.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't let past games judge the company overall, I do however judge companies based on decisions that make with their games, from nerfs, to merges with other companies, to adding something that should have never have been added. In which case, nah, I don't think it'll hurt Titan, unless of course it does not impress, as this thing has been talked about for years now, and still no word. It has the potential to pull another Diablo 3, super hyped up, get near perfect reviews, and it just ends up sucking. Also have no idea if I'll even be able to keep playing it when it eventually comes out and I get to try it for myself, and hopefully a few friends I gained from past Blizzard games. We'll see though, once we start getting official screenshots and information about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    I know the game is long from being released but they have achieved a playable version as of last year. But I cant help wonder if the less than stellar release of Diablo 3 (dont start with sales figures we all know how the actual game turned out) and the decline in WoW population since Cataclysm is going to affect whether or not people will buy another Blizzard game. Just wondering, seeing the direction Blizzard is heading, and knowing how their recent releases have turned out is that going to affect the sales of Titan at all? I cant comment nor will I on SC2 as I have never played it. But would you buy another Blizzard game seeing how they have treated WoW in recent years as well as Diablo 3? Normally I will buy any new MMO and try it out regardless of what people in Beta have said or what reviews it gets pre-release. I mean I played Aion and SW:ToR for several months each before finally saying enough is enough and quitting, but Im very skeptical about buying another Blizzard game.
    Unless Blizzard really chooses to not give a shit, Titan will be huge. Blizzard is huge. And along with being as big as they are, you have haters. But most people don't let other people decide what is good or best for them. I don't look at a game and think "I hated this game, I'm never buying another game from this company.". If I hate a game, and a company releases something that looks good, I'll get it. And many ppl are like that. It has nothing to do with being a "fanboy". People don't pay money to be loyal. They pay money for something that they think they'll like.