MMO's Guild Wars 2 Should Fear

Seems commonplace these days to always have WoW fearing every other mmo on the market. since every other mmo failed in taking down WoW, its left to question what remains of the pool. The answer is this, that pool then has to try and retain a larger portion of those interested in mmo's who may or may not be entrenched in WoW.

Theres a few mmos either out, coming out which i think Arenanet should be very fearful of.

1) The Secret World: just went B2P (buy once, play forever). Love the story, combat and the modern setting. Has a fairly worthy following
    2) Star Wars The Old Republic: Recently went free to play, seems to have picked up a continual increase in attention since then
    3) The Elder Scrolls Online: If any mmo coming out in the near future its this one. Will do everything GW2 claimed to do, but better and will also satisfy the WoW crowd.
    4) ArcheAge: The next true sandbox mmo (albeit themepark partially) Build houses, ships, create your own faction, create a truly customisable class and conquer other players lands.

thats a start. Since GW2 was truly heralded as the next 'big thing' i think Arenanet have a LOT of work on their hands to keep up. If you have any further mmos to add to the list feel free.

Deleted
    Care to explain why GW2 should be fearful and list reasons etc combat, graphics, gameplay..the usual, rather then just pushing out a few names of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayp View Post
    Care to explain why GW2 should be fearful and list reasons etc combat, graphics, gameplay..the usual, rather then just pushing out a few names of games.
    graphically elder scrolls online and archeage are both next gen. actually i should have throw in tera to. even the graphic styles of TWS and SWTOR stand up to it.

Not one of these posts again infinite, we don't want to view your youtube channel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Only a handful of MMOs have tried to "take down WoW". The idea of a WOW killer was mostly marketing by like EA. Basically.

Other MMOs simply released in the same genre. We would not say say such & such FPS failed to take down Call of Duty. They were just other FPS games aimed or appealing to different audiences.

GW2 has nothing to be 'scared' for the same reasons; those other MMOs [TSW, TOR, etc] appeal to different types of players. The majority of MMOs find their niche over time.

If Elder Scrolls Online is B2P, that'd be the only thing I'd be fearful of. I laugh at The Secret World and Star Wars: The Old Republic, I don't see them as threats to GW2 in any way.

One look at ArcheAge Online instantly killed my interest.

The Secret World has terrible combat, SWTOR completely buggered up their free to play system (even with a preferred account I don't want to go back), From the videos and interviews I've seen Elder Scrolls Online looks completely generic and seems to be selling itself on it's name alone, and as far as I'm aware, there has been no news on Archeage releasing for US/EU, and while it does have cool features, it's got that Asian feel that tends to put a lot of players off.

I don't think Arenanet has any reason to fear any of these games, but competition is always good, so here's hoping they push Arenanet to keep pumping out quality updates.

Deleted
    Why does one MMO always have to fear another?
    There will always be that "next" MMO, but should companies like Anet therefore fear it? Ofcourse not!
    Fear of other MMOs will only lead to poor decisions on Anets part.

On a side note, I might consider buying TESO, but that does not mean I haven't had fun in GW2 and that I'll never return.

What should GW2 fear That ppl will play other b2p MMOs alongside GW2 ? TSW, SWTOR, GW2 ... you can play all those. Why limit yourself. It's an issue of p2p MMOs where they steal players from each other. With b2p MMOs you can play as many as is available.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    Seems commonplace these days to always have WoW fearing every other mmo on the market. since every other mmo failed in taking down WoW, its left to question what remains of the pool. The answer is this, that pool then has to try and retain a larger portion of those interested in mmo's who may or may not be entrenched in WoW.

Theres a few mmos either out, coming out which i think Arenanet should be very fearful of.

1) The Secret World: just went B2P (buy once, play forever). Love the story, combat and the modern setting. Has a fairly worthy following
    2) Star Wars The Old Republic: Recently went free to play, seems to have picked up a continual increase in attention since then
    3) The Elder Scrolls Online: If any mmo coming out in the near future its this one. Will do everything GW2 claimed to do, but better and will also satisfy the WoW crowd.
    4) ArcheAge: The next true sandbox mmo (albeit themepark partially) Build houses, ships, create your own faction, create a truly customisable class and conquer other players lands.

thats a start. Since GW2 was truly heralded as the next 'big thing' i think Arenanet have a LOT of work on their hands to keep up. If you have any further mmos to add to the list feel free.
    Just a couple points

1) TSW is very niche. Not alot of ppl know about it and even ppl that do you have to be looking for a certain type of genre. There is a reason the Fantasy MMO Genre is used so much. Because it works. Modern Day MMO's? TSW is trying but i dont think it is going to stick

2) Starwars is a hella good franchise to start an MMO with. Just like blizz turned Warcraft one of its big products into an MMO. Now why is WoW still sub based and Swtor not? Prolly because EA botches everything it touches, or it could be that they pushed it out too early, or because when WoW was released the industry was not as developed and players not as smart. They didnt care what was buggy and what wasnt balanced they just wanted to try out this new thing.
    Well this new thing (MMO's) arent new anymore, and consumers no longer put up with buggy games and poorly implemented systems. So if Bioware and EA get their stuff togeather and it doesnt seem like they will but who knows, if they do though then it wills still take a few years to get them back to where they were at launch with 2mil or so subs. I dont think this will happen btw, MMO consumers are very moody.

3) TESO. Now we dont know what this MMO is going to be like. Will it be like WoW? Rift? GW2? or be a huge dissapointment in terms of design and implementation of features like Swtor? Will everything they add to the game mesh nicely? We dont know.

Heres a couple things tho. GW2 never has to worry about competition, because of the simple fact that anyone who has bought the game can still play it when ever they want. GW2 so far has put on some of the best holiday events I have participated in in an MMO. You can tell how much effort is put in and the multitude of activites you can do are amazing. Im on vent with some WoW buddies everyday and guess what they do day in and day out. Dailies, Kill Horde, LFR, BG's in and endless cycle. Now I admit killing Horde is fun, but even when new patches get released they will just be doing more dailies. I like how GW2 adds different activites to do and new achives to get with each patch and event cycle.

Now back to TESO. It Has to start off Buy to play. It cannot be a sub based MMO or your going to cut off a huge number of players. Also if they launch B2P and post numbers and then after everyones first month theres a huge drop off like Swtor had your going to get players who were waiting to see how it goes look at the numbers and say "well that game was a over hyped WoW killer" and not buy it. By making it B2P like GW2 you increase its longevity and initial sales.

Now how they would implement a cash shop is tricky. I would go with the GW2 model but thats not gonna work for every game. In the end they may have to go P2P but i think they will still end up going F2P after like every other recent mmo release other than GW2.

4) ArcheAge: This game isnt going anywhere in terms of popularity or taking players from WoW or GW2.

ArenaNet is doing a great job of releaseing Fun and Interesting Patches. Will it continue who knows.

And why should GW2 fear?? I mean, people always said WoW had to fear because the game needs a monthly fee, GW2 doesn't have a monthly fee because they don't care if you go and play something else from time to time... it's like saying that any zelda game should had feared when any mario game came out, people just bought both games and played both games... GW2 is not designed to be someone's main and only game, in fact it's better this way, because if people played GW2 only, they would need a lot more servers and ANet would need to spend more money... so no, GW2 shouldn't fear because it was never meant to keep all its player base online 24/7...
    Last edited by Moinaldo; 2012-12-16 at 01:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only game that might really move people away from gw2 is pso2.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Lol mate, there is no reason to fear Star Wars The Old Republic. The game went free 2 play, that is correct. But the limitations of being a F2P player is just ridiculous and nothings really changed in it so it won't bring in more players.

I have to admit though, when i heard about SW:TOR going free 2 play is was happy for about 2 minutes untill i read what f2p offered.

Pater! In manus tuas committo spiritum meum!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no danger with SWTOR as their F2P almost killed the game. I am eagerly awaiting for Arch Age, but Elder Scrolls online isn't the big "squeel" moment yet. Skyrim had some errors that they could have avoided if they would just run through their game, so not expecting much from Elder Scrolls online.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    No one should fear TESO really, that game is never gonna be good.... And TSW... Yeah a nice idea, but a horrible game.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Only a handful of MMOs have tried to "take down WoW". The idea of a WOW killer was mostly marketing by like EA. Basically.

Other MMOs simply released in the same genre. We would not say say such & such FPS failed to take down Call of Duty. They were just other FPS games aimed or appealing to different audiences.

GW2 has nothing to be 'scared' for the same reasons; those other MMOs [TSW, TOR, etc] appeal to different types of players. The majority of MMOs find their niche over time.
    Actually it's mostly the fans of MMOs who bring up the WoW killer thing. In fact I have seen many times the WoW killer remark being flung around by people who post in WoW forums even if they're a fan of WoW, they will usually say something like <insert MMO here> will just be a failed WoW killer before anyone makes the claim of that MMO being a WoW killer. Although it did get particularly bad with SWTOR due to what you said about the way EA marketed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your examples of successful mmo's that GW2 should fear are completely wrong... everybody knows how trash SW:ToR is on the B2P model, you still have to pay sub if you want to "enjoy" the game, it's a no-go for everyone, we all know it's reputation.

TSW JUST went B2P and it's still EXTREMELY flawed in the combat aspect of the game, if you like fluent mmo's just don't try it, the story and the quest system is exelent, kudos to them.

TES... dude we only know that it exists and it's being developed, there has not been any big enlightement on the matter.

What is ArcheAge? if it's a sandbox mmo i highly doubt it'll be successful, there are a fuckton of games that are doing it right now, 2 successful games come to mind first and i'm kinda doubtful it will spread to other games that try to follow the idea of a sandbox game (those 2 games are terraria and minecraft, both are somewhat massive, you can have your own worlds and with some rpg elements)

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    Huehue, man, you're just trying to go on the "THIS WILL KILL X" bandwagon mode, B2P doesn't work that way, ME3 didn't kill other games that were released that year.
    Last edited by barackopala; 2012-12-16 at 03:13 PM.

Alright, gonna close this. It's not going anywhere. Just bickering and trash talking.

Pretty much not amazing message boarding.

-- Fencers