View Poll Results: Should they create such a server?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 13.46%
  • No

    82 78.85%
  • Maybe

    8 7.69%
Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Mechagnome Kuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    581

    Playing from day one

    Blizzard has already established that they do not want to create 'nostalgic' servers, as they want content to keep moving forward. I can see Blizzards point of view on this, the servers would quickly become inactive due to a lack of things to do. (No more raids/dungeons etc) But what about a server that would start from day 1, of the World of Warcraft, and progress to current time through each expansion. I am assuming, (I couldn't find any information on it) that Blizzard must have all the old patch notes from when the game began because as a developer, it would make sense. As the server gets older and into, lets say Wrath, there may be a large request of players wanting to see Vanilla again, so another server could be added.

    So lets look at the pro's and con's of such a server

    Pro's:
    .Gives players a chance to see all content, new and old eventually.
    .Profit - An extended fee could be placed to cover the deploying of patches and keep the server up and running.
    .A decrease in 'Blizzlike 1x private servers'

    Con's:
    .More staff would need to be hired, or have the workload of the current staff increased.
    .Current low population servers could get lower

    Just imagine logging in to seeing this again:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYK_Gqyf48Y

    WoW is arguably, the most successful MMO yet, and I know i'm not alone when I say that i'd love to see it born and raised into what it is now, from the beggining. Personally, I started in 3.1, (Had a few trial acounts since Vanilla/BC but never had the time or money to play it back then) But I know some Vanilla players that are keen to relive the game. I am aware that it is possible to do so with the XP eliminator but there seems to be a lack of committed players that are partaking in such an event 'http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1227067-Playing-WoW-in-a-diffrent-way'

    So what do you think, should blizzard implement such a server?

  2. #2
    The Unstoppable Force N-aix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,557
    Move on to the future don't remain in the past where things constantly repeating it self. So no I don't think they should make such a server like personally It's a waste of resources.

  3. #3
    No.
    When you started in vanilla wow gave your brain a chemical that enhanced the pleasure centers of your brain and over time those receptors don't get the same pleasure from warcraft but that has more to do with the way your brain works rather than how wow works. You were younger, you could immerse yourself without real life kicking you in the teeth. If you went back to the way things were you would be quickly over come with the realization that things were not quite as great as you remember them.

    Happened to me with the 80's transformers cartoons, I have many fond memories of watching every episode and I thought it was the greatest cartoon ever made, then I grew up and recently watched an episode on Hub and I was shocked at how horrible the cartoon actually was. Horrible repeating Korean cheap labor animation, scripts which seemed to be written by nine year olds, character motivations that were completely unexplainable and all kinds of cliche horrible stuff that ruined the entire episode.

    Its better to remember things being awesome than to actually go back and experience them again because the reality is like a kick in the face from a mule.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2012-12-20 at 04:21 PM.

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans RicardoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    2,757
    I don't see why so many people are against this. If there's a market for it and people want it, let them eat cake.

    Just because I don't want to doesn't mean that those who do want to shouldn't be able to.

  5. #5
    tbh they should just put a requirement if you want to do the latest raid, you need to kill the final boss of all previous(currently available) raids.

    this way you will go through and see all the content and maybe learn a thing or two.

  6. #6
    The Unstoppable Force N-aix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,557
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    tbh they should just put a requirement if you want to do the latest raid, you need to kill the final boss of all previous(currently available) raids.

    this way you will go through and see all the content and maybe learn a thing or two.
    Seeing content? That's what LFR is there for.

  7. #7
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    12,226
    It's not for me. Although I didn't play since launch (I started around patch 1.4 ), it is not appealing to me to go back to a time without many of the things and features I enjoy as part of the game now. I'd rather be nostalgic with happy memories rather than replay that content and just be extremely frustrated by how problematic and tedious a lot of the gameplay is.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma

  8. #8
    Mechagnome Kuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    581
    Another pro to the idea is that content could be released quicker, no more year in ICC

  9. #9
    Brewmaster Vober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    1,340
    To be honest, as much as we enjoyed vanilla while it was out back then. People would hate it today, It's so much more grindy and takes forever to level.
    ASRock 990FX - FX-8320 @ 4.3 - G.Skill Sniper 8GB 1866 - Radeon 7770 - Raidmax 850 - WD 2TB - 128GB SSD

  10. #10
    Well its been done on other mmos,its called a progression server where you stablish a timeline for patches releases (most sucessfull up to this date Evequest progression servers).

    Its not gonna work in WoW.1000 reasons we can elaborate but to summarize: vanilla wow implied some hard aspects we accepted because everything was new,bright and magical.Murlocs were a funny species and now they are just polygons and textures.Most of that magic is out so I higly doubt people will want to play for 40 hours of walking 1000 miles just to get to lvl 40 and realize ...they cant buy the slowest mount yet because they dont have the gold needed.

    Vanilla was just a pink colorful sparkle.Without the magic (and the magic is gone) is nothing to be nostalgic of.

  11. #11
    No, because Vanilla WoW was a good game then. Not now.

    If you want to experience Vanilla content, lock your toon at level 60, 70, 80 and 85 and find 39 like-minded individuals to do the same. Oh, and remember to get rid of 15 of them between 60 and 70. It won't be entirely accurate unless you remove half of your spells and limit the number of debuffs you can put on a boss to 16 again, and then have people who's job it is to repeatedly sheep trash mobs, and paladin buffs that had to be cast on everyone that only last 10 minutes, and all the rest of the Vanilla warts that everyone conveniently forgets whenever they mention how great it was.

    It was great compared to Everquest. It's not great compared to MoP.

  12. #12
    There is not enough of a market to support it. If there was a real market, then Blizz would probably consider the idea. But there isn't.

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In your dome.
    Posts
    3,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuel View Post
    Blizzard has already established that they do not want to create 'nostalgic' servers, as they want content to keep moving forward. I can see Blizzards point of view on this, the servers would quickly become inactive due to a lack of things to do. (No more raids/dungeons etc) But what about a server that would start from day 1, of the World of Warcraft, and progress to current time through each expansion. I am assuming, (I couldn't find any information on it) that Blizzard must have all the old patch notes from when the game began because as a developer, it would make sense. As the server gets older and into, lets say Wrath, there may be a large request of players wanting to see Vanilla again, so another server could be added.

    So lets look at the pro's and con's of such a server

    Pro's:
    .Gives players a chance to see all content, new and old eventually.
    .Profit - An extended fee could be placed to cover the deploying of patches and keep the server up and running.
    .A decrease in 'Blizzlike 1x private servers'

    Con's:
    .More staff would need to be hired, or have the workload of the current staff increased.
    .Current low population servers could get lower

    Just imagine logging in to seeing this again:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYK_Gqyf48Y

    WoW is arguably, the most successful MMO yet, and I know i'm not alone when I say that i'd love to see it born and raised into what it is now, from the beggining. Personally, I started in 3.1, (Had a few trial acounts since Vanilla/BC but never had the time or money to play it back then) But I know some Vanilla players that are keen to relive the game. I am aware that it is possible to do so with the XP eliminator but there seems to be a lack of committed players that are partaking in such an event 'http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1227067-Playing-WoW-in-a-diffrent-way'

    So what do you think, should blizzard implement such a server?
    Right here. And this isn't the first thread about this... it will cause them more to provide less.... at best a nostalgia server will be a brief diversion and a drain on resources for absolutely no financial gain.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    tbh they should just put a requirement if you want to do the latest raid, you need to kill the final boss of all previous(currently available) raids.

    this way you will go through and see all the content and maybe learn a thing or two.
    Learn what? How to tank and spank? You really don't need to add more gating systems to the game, we have valor gating, gear level gating, lfr gating, raid gating, level gating, rep gating. Theres enough gating already thank you very much. If you want to keep the majority of people out of your sandbox so you can feel special then I suggest playing Oblivion on xbox 360.

  15. #15
    Yes, All these supposed quality of life changes are nothing for me. I would go back to the old way in a heart beat.

  16. #16
    only if the poeple who requests these classic servers can be banned when they start requesting bug fixes to all those really nasty bugs we dealt with then. or when they decide to request quality of life changes like cheap mounts at lower levels. because you know thats exactly what will happen

  17. #17
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    16,259
    vanilla servers would not be that popular, a few might genuinally enjoy them, but most would hate it after a few days. the player base is a lot lazier now than they were back then. even back in vanilla it was hard to get 2 people from your group to run down to Tanaris to summon you to ZF. i loved vanilla at the time, but when i think back i would hate to play it again, thw world pvp would not be the same, people hate world pvp now. remember in vanilla you didn't get 60% mount until level 40? and the 100% mount at level 60, remember how much that sucked? oh, you like playing a paladin now? have fun being a buff bot in your raid..ane refreshing your judgment every 5seconds.

    in short, i loved vanilla during vanilla, would never go back to it.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 05:26 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by shadofall View Post
    only if the poeple who requests these classic servers can be banned when they start requesting bug fixes to all those really nasty bugs we dealt with then. or when they decide to request quality of life changes like cheap mounts at lower levels. because you know thats exactly what will happen

    during vanilla i most of the time couldnt even afford the 60% mount at level 40, and very few people could afford the epic mounts without a lot of farming.
    Too cool for a signature

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer Flutterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Derpifornia
    Posts
    3,181
    Blizz devs have already said that even if they wanted to, the old client does not exist.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Blizz devs have already said that even if they wanted to, the old client does not exist.
    i'm sure it exist somewhere on a backup system likely offsite tapes, but sure as heck wouldnt be worth going to hunt for it.
    Last edited by shadofall; 2012-12-20 at 05:30 PM.

  20. #20
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    16,259
    Quote Originally Posted by shadofall View Post
    i'm well aware. i think i was about 100g shy of being able to afford the epic mount when they finally released the warlock epic mount

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 05:29 PM ----------



    i'm sure it exist somewhere on a backup system likely offsite tapes, but sure as heck wouldnt be worth going to hunt for it.

    i got a loan from a guildy for my epic mount :P didn't get one on my mage though until after burning crusade released, i was about lvl63 when i finally got enough gold to buy the riding skill, used the alterac valley wolf though, skill was expensive enough :P
    Too cool for a signature

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •