Wow Screen flicker - Gtx 660ti- Acer S240HL Monitor

Hey all, i recently upgraded my computer and started to play wow and noticed a very annoying/irritating flicker...
    I play wow in windowed mode and always will, the screen flicker dosen't affect fps it just catches my eye here and there...
    If i play Fullscreen it dosen't happen, also dosen't appear in Borderlands 2/ Skyrim either.

Monitor - Acer S240HL , tried two of these and happens on both, maybe a monitor issue or a gpu compatability?
    GPU-Asus 2gb Gtx 660 TI

Other specs;

Mobo- Asus p8z77-v lx
    CPU- i5 3570k
    RAM- Corsair 16gb 1600
    hdd; 1tb WD
    hdd; 1tb WD
    psu; Corsair tx 650w

The gpu can max most/all games i tried at the moment easily, never going over 60C, is it a known gtx 660ti compatability issue to run wow in windowed mode? or is the screen just not build for windowed games...
    Last edited by TwentyTwelve; 2012-12-16 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    Hey all, i recently upgraded my computer and started to play wow and noticed a very annoying/irritating flicker...
    I play wow in windowed mode and always will, the screen flicker dosen't affect fps it just catches my eye here and there...
    If i play Fullscreen it dosen't happen, also dosen't appear in Borderlands 2/ Skyrim either.

Monitor - Acer S240HL , tried two of these and happens on both, maybe a monitor issue or a gpu compatability?
    GPU- Gtx 660 TI

Other specs;

Mobo- Asus p8z77-v lx
    CPU- i5 3570k
    RAM- Corsair 16gb 1600
    hdd; 1tb WD
    hdd; 1tb WD
    psu; Corsair tx 650w

The gpu can max most/all games i tried at the moment easily, never going over 60C, is it a known gtx 660ti compatability issue to run wow in windowed mode? or is the screen just not build for windowed games...
    I'll look but acer quality is not of the highest caliber. You'd need to check on a diff monitor to be sure.

You say flicker, is is screen tearing? If so try enabling vertical sync to see if that's the problem if not could be something else but always good to eliminate the options as you go!

Sorry i should of stated a bit better
    Wow settings;

- I have it set to Vsync on, i see no difference without it off (fps wise), it isnt screen `tear` it just a feint flicker, as if loose wiring inside the monitor but it only happens on Wow and only in windowed mode, and i've tested 2x of the same monitor.

I get something similar. Fullscreen window, different monitor but still Acer.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    - I have it set to Vsync on, i see no difference without it off (fps wise), it isnt screen `tear` it just a feint flicker, as if loose wiring inside the monitor but it only happens on Wow and only in windowed mode, and i've tested 2x of the same monitor.
    Really shouldn't be the monitor, then.

Sounds like a rendering issue. Try updating your graphics drivers before anything else.

Drivers are up to date already.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    Really shouldn't be the monitor, then.

Sounds like a rendering issue. Try updating your graphics drivers before anything else.
    What are you basing this off of? It isn't experience or knowledge, the flicker he is seeing is dimming or pulse of the backlight, it is not normal. However a gpu could mimic the same issue, you will need to check a different monitor to see if the problem persists.

Cheers for the reply, sadly the only monitor i have that is different is kind of broke, i can get it to work but it takes ages to start up / i'll have to get the lead in for it as the new GPU dosen't support VGA input.

I'll try the other monitor ASAP and get back to this thread, worrying it isn't a monitor issue, i don't fancy having a faulty GPU / drivers, the GPU is amazing and makes no noise, no issues with fps or anything, and it is perfectly fine in WoW in Fullscreen mode, just not windowed. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    What are you basing this off of?
    Because the monitor doesn't know what applications are running, unless it's something like a Smart TV. And the flickering only occurs with WoW, and only when in Windowed mode.

Also, I've seen similar issues when a live-rendered 3-D graphics window is dragged across the screen.

This is a rendering issue. Whether the problem is in the OS, the physical graphics card, or the drivers - I don't know.
    Last edited by Cowt; 2012-12-16 at 04:52 PM.

Because the monitor doesn't know what applications are running, unless it's something like a Smart TV. And the flickering only occurs with WoW, and only when in Windowed mode.

Also, I've seen similar issues when a live-rendered 3-D graphics window is dragged across the screen.

This is a rendering issue. Whether the problem is in the OS, the physical graphics card, or the drives - I don't know.
    Drives? Information is already in the RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Drives? Information is already in the RAM.
    Quite possibly. My point was mostly that I don't know where it's coming from.

This is a rendering issue. Whether the problem is in the OS, the physical graphics card, or the drivers - I don't know.
    I concede I did miss him checking on 2 monitors, same brand and model still worries...but you are likely correct, however I've seen dying LED TV's do this, and only on specific games, so I do digress I was speaking abruptly and half awake hazaa. This wouldn't be a hardware problem if it isn't having issues in fullscreen, so It would have to be software related.

@op did the monitor also possibly come w/ drivers? My LG did, and it made a difference.

Yeah, used the cd already, all drivers up to date.

Deleted
    I have this issue also, no idea how to fix it...

Do you have those flickerings in other games?

Deleted
    This is just a shot in the dark, but have you checked that you have WoW set on the same refresh rate as your display?

I do not get the issue in any other game i've played so far.

Yes refresh rate is the same as WoW/Nvidia control panel/screen

I'm by no means a computer expert, but try turning multisampling down. If it's on 16x for example try 8x.

One of the things that came up for me when I googled this.

Source:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post12411936
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

For any having the same issue, I FIXED IT!

- Saw a thread about changing the connection lead. Was using a Dvi to Vga lead sort, swapped it to a HDMI lead and the flickering is gone, now to redo my settings, wow looks insanely bright lol.