Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkryx View Post
    awh you poor thing, you actually have to put some effort to have the nice toys.
    I didnt mind doing the shado pan rep to get the reward from shado pan. That's how mount rewards have always been in WOW. I was not a fan of not being able to work on that rep day 1 because I first had to grind out another faction before I could even start on the rep I wanted to when I wanted to.

Gating gear and vanity items gated behind a rep you can pretty much only gain from doing dailies, sweet cool nothing new here, been like that since forever. Netherwing for example, Frostsaber.

Gating that rep behind another rep that I can only gain by doing dailies. That's not cool.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2012-12-17 at 12:37 AM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    If you want to be competitive/not have useless valor points then yes. Yes they are. So for the main part of the playerbase they are mandatory.
    "Main part of the playerbase". Sure because that many people raid heroic modes... Aside from progression raiding, dailies are not in the slightest way mandatory. I thought we've had that garbage with the vocal minority often enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. (10 chars)

10+ Year Old Account
    the reps are only required if you want to buy valor gear. if u dont want to buy valor gear and gear elsewhere they are not required

Yeah. You're basically missing out on a lot of content if you don't. You really are forced to do certain rep grinds to get the most out of end-game really.

The dailies just scare people off imo. You do not NEED to grind for much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mandatory no, helpful yes but don't kill yourself on them. As someone mentioned before, as long as you are getting your 90 lesser charms (45 dailies/week) then that's all you need since the VP gain is so slow that you'll open up the factions in plenty of time.

OP was asking if dailies are required to get valor gears. Answer is yes, you need dailies to get valor gears.

Besides, I think people who start now will have to grind in order to join a guild for a raiding spot. It'll be hard to find a guild that would take a person for "skill" if he is ilvl 461 with 0 rep. Heck, ilvl 461 might not even get him pugs from trade. He might be able to find a social guild that is still struggling through normal MV full clear but probably not much more than that.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    LFR is the one asking 460 ilvl to enter.

Normals ARE NOT tuned for 460 ilvl.

Dailies are not optional, and they are not only required for world first guilds. Dailies are mandatory for organized raiders, if you dont see how double loot from 3 bosses per week is mandatory for raiders, then i dont have anything more to talk to you.
    Yes they are, though there's less room for error the lower the itemlevel you have. LFR opened a week after normals opened. And guess what, normals where cleared during that week by all halfdecent guilds worth their names. If they "ARE NOT tuned for 460 ilvl" as you say, how on earth where we able to go in there with ilvls ranging from 450-468 and clear that stuff within the first reset?

LFR asks for higher itemlevels simply because the raids are highly unorganized and a lot of really bad players or players not caring goes with it. Higher ilvl requirement ensures success because the players caring about performing in there or thoose who simply are higher skilled will carry the ones who isnt. Even Blizzard acknolowedged this.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    no one hold a gun to your head but its not very "smart" not to do them. Yes you can start raiding in blues but who will chose you over a purple daily player? I have read lot of things lately, that good guilds recruit based on skill not on gear, but seriously, no good guild recruit a blue geared non-dailies. They will test your skill of course but they will not take you in their raid in blues.

So TL;DR, Unless you play in a guild with friends, you are "required" to do them in order to stay competitive.
    I'd say you're probably partly right. But any good guildmaster / officer should spot a talented player who plays there character perfectly and snag him as an investment rather than the geared or semi/geared player who continously do the same mistakes or playing less then perfect.

No really good guild would pick up a player that is compleatly in blues either at this point unless they're truly exceptional just coming back from a break, because they will also look for dedication in their potential recruits characters as well - but if you could get your hands on all stuff that you're able to (within your reach) and in turn also play perfectly they certainly wouldnt care if you're below their current gearlevel as well as progress.
    Last edited by mmoc84ca5d4ef2; 2012-12-31 at 04:13 PM.

Do hardcore raiders want the gear?

Yes.

Are dailies needed to get the gear?

Yes.

Are you a hardcore raider?

Yes - Not Blizz's problem

No - Feel free to get heroic gear and Sha drops to run LFR and clear content

There are raid guilds that are already 16/16 on Tier14 25M H. If they can do it without whining, I'm sure the rest of the world can either follow suit or wait for nerfs. Also, they did it BEFORE there were Rep commendations. You wanna raid? Pay the piper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    They are if you want to spend you Valor points.

Item upgrades are only feasable on BiS items.
    Emm depends on your definition of BiS though!

I have upgraded my DMF trinket, my Sha Touched LFR weapon and my Shield as I can't see an upgrade coming for ages (weapon most likley thing to get upgraded by it was also a lot of "bang" for my buck).

They are far far away from BiS in total though but I very much doubt I will be getting very much heroic gear.

So I am afraid that "Item upgrades are only feasable on BiS items." is total bs

Short answer : no
    Long answer : Yes

You can get a full set of ilevel 469+ gear without ever doing any dailies. Do normals to 90, do heroics, use that gear to do LFR.

You only need dailies as an option for the same gear you get in heroics and LFR, or for recipes. Recipes always took either rare luck or a lot of grinding, nothing new here.

There is as much to do as there ever was before dailies. Dailies only add to having more stuff to do. Some people seem to think they have to do everything they possibly can as fast as they can. But even if you farm more than one faction per day, you're not going to ever get enough valor points to spend on anything but one faction worth in the first place. So doing more than 20-30 mins of dailies is ultimately a waste of time.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

It's beyond me how people can spend 3 years during WotLK and Cata whining about the removal of attunements and heroic dungeon key rep in BC, but now get all pissy over having to grind rep in order to buy top quality epic gear. Ridiculous. I thought it bothered you how one gets everything presented on the silver plate from the get-go? Why don't I see any of that talk any more?

It's basically the friggin' same, just solved more elegantly. They don't lock people out of content - which would be idiotic for 5 mans anyway - but there's still something where you have to put in a little work if you want it. If you thought farming rep for heroic keys was a good thing, how can you be against farming rep in order to get access to highest quality gear? It's not mandatory, but it's reserved for those who are willing to "put in the work" and don't expect "everything on the silver plate".

How is farming rep to be able to do a dungeon cool, but farming rep for non-mandatory gear bad? Which leads me to the conclusion: people want their gear right now. They hate doing something for it. They'd rather sit in SW/Org all day, do their weekly raids, cap valor by doing so and go shopping like they did in Cata.

Which in turn proves that all the banter and crying about "sitting in SW/Org all day" and "getting everything presented on a silver plate" was plain BS, that's exactly what those whiners want.

The tokens you get from dailies will let you keep farming LFR though all week long for a piece of loot. If you want the 2 handed sword from Elegon, do the 30 dailies or so for the 3 tokens, and each token you can use on the same boss over and over to get a bonus roll. I've done it three-four times in one week, not sure if you can do that feasibly as much as you want or not.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 10:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    It's beyond me how people can spend 3 years during WotLK and Cata whining about the removal of attunements and heroic dungeon key rep in BC, but now get all pissy over having to grind rep in order to buy top quality epic gear. Ridiculous. I thought it bothered you how one gets everything presented on the silver plate from the get-go? Why don't I see any of that talk any more?

It's basically the friggin' same, just solved more elegantly. They don't lock people out of content - which would be idiotic for 5 mans anyway - but there's still something where you have to put in a little work if you want it. If you thought farming rep for heroic keys was a good thing, how can you be against farming rep in order to get access to highest quality gear? It's not mandatory, but it's reserved for those who are willing to "put in the work" and don't expect "everything on the silver plate".

How is farming rep to be able to do a dungeon cool, but farming rep for non-mandatory gear bad? Which leads me to the conclusion: people want their gear right now. They hate doing something for it. They'd rather sit in SW/Org all day, do their weekly raids, cap valor by doing so and go shopping like they did in Cata.

Which in turn proves that all the banter and crying about "sitting in SW/Org all day" and "getting everything presented on a silver plate" was plain BS, that's exactly what those whiners want.
    Something tells me out of the 10-12 million people playing in the last few years that the people who wanted attunements are not the same people who don't like dailies.

I seem to be peculiar int hat I've always found dailies tedious and boring since TBC after I did them the first time, but I defend them as viable options for people who do like them in MOP. In fact, with the Shieldwall quests unlocking a new step in a story quest every three days, I actually like dailies now. That's what I always wished dailies would be like. Ever unfolding lore and plot.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    No, dailies aren't required.

They are if you need to have the pieces they offer (489 ilvl).

If you are looking for fun dailies with a story in it, try out the 5.1 dailies for Horde and Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by taybox View Post
    I just started playing wow again. Are the reps required now if you want valor gear? This seems tirribly frustrating and poor design if so.
    All depends on what you mean by mandatory. If you mean mandatory for raiding then no since you will get better gear through raiding and much faster. They are not mandatory for LFR since you only need 460 ilvl to start. Mandatory for story and lore? Yup. Mandatory if you want valor gear? Yup. Mandatory if you want lesser charms to put towards elder coins? Yup. Valor gear is based off rep. So if you want the stuff do the dailies. Besides it takes two weeks on your first toon to reach revered, the highest you need for gear and recipes, and just over a week on your alts. Hardly any work is required. Don't listen to the welfare queens who want to zerg heroics in a day to get exalted. Blizzard didn't want people getting everything done in a week. There is nothing wrong with asking people to spend a little time and effort to get raid like rewards without raiding to get them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a raiding guild, you'll get your epics sooner from normal raiding (and LFR, don't forget that) than you get them from saving up valor points and buying reputation gear. A lot of 476 ivl stuff can be crafted too and/or is available for a few k gold at your local AH.

Nope.

Just do all the Loremaster quests for each zone and you'll get Honored with Shado Pan and Klaxxi. This opens up a couple of VP epics for you. You can then upgrade them to beef your ilvl higher.

Get 5H gear for all the other slots and you should be above 460 so you can start LFR. Collect a couple pieces from that and you can do the LFRs at 470. You now have access to all raid content.

Yes, if you want valor gear you need to do the dailies.

Also, if you are going to raid you will need valor gear and charms or else you will be left behind in gear and you will be holding your raid back.

It sucks, but MoP works like that.
    Not true unless you guys suck. We cleared MV in mostly blues. Used what little gear we had from there to start HoF. I think maybe 3 of our core 10 pursued rep and had 1-2 items by the time HoF came out. Two weeks later it was cleared and had no issues in ToEs with only a few valor items. Too often people rely on gear over skill. If you all can play your class well you could have cleared ToES with MV epics and blues. Yes It helps. I am not in denial there. But they are not needed at all. Some may require it but they are not needed.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 05:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    If you want to be competitive/not have useless valor points then yes. Yes they are. So for the main part of the playerbase they are mandatory.

We don't try to be competitive but we had many of the server firsts with very little VP gear. If you know how to play you class and know what to do efficiently then you can get through without. Will they help out and could you find upgrades? Of course but again not mandatory. You people remind me of the crying children in stores who do not know the difference between want and need. You may want the VP gear but you do not need it.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 05:18 PM ----------

LFR is the one asking 460 ilvl to enter.

Normals ARE NOT tuned for 460 ilvl.

Dailies are not optional, and they are not only required for world first guilds. Dailies are mandatory for organized raiders, if you dont see how double loot from 3 bosses per week is mandatory for raiders, then i dont have anything more to talk to you.
    MV is tuned for 463 and can and has been cleared by guilds with many players having no epics. HoF and ToES is slightly higher closer to 476 but still can be done in partial blues.