Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,775

    The case for Tinker as a new class in WoW

    Before MoP was announced, I made a thread about Runemasters being the next class in WoW. Well as we all know now, the new class became Monks, but a lot of my arguments for Runemasters was used to justify the existence of a Monk class. You can read the thread here;

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...w-class-in-WoW

    I feel that I was spot on in most of those arguments. The main reason I was incorrect is because I believed that Blizzard would use Runemasters instead of Monks to try to be bit different. So now let's see why the Tinker is the best bet for the next WoW class:

    Why this class?

    1.They could wear mail armor, filling out the Mail classes. They could even wear INT mail, so that Shaman wouldn't be the only ones utilizing that type of armor.

    2.They could use guns and/or bows. Currently, only Hunters use such weapons. Also Tinkers could fulfil the desire of many players to have a pet-less physical ranged class.

    3. The game already possesses a technological/steam punk edge that isn't utilized by any of the classes. Engineering helps, but Engineering is a crafting skill, and the entire profession amounts to crafting mounts, armor, and weapons, not utilizing offensive and defensive abilities.

    4. There are units and hero units from WC3 that utilize Tinker abilities. The Goblin Tinker, like the Pandaren Brewmaster, could be the basis for an entire class. Also the Tinker has an extensive history in WoW RPG games.

    5. The Tinker would be unlike any other class currently in the game. There is literally no other class in the game that would be anything like the Tinker class.

    6. Almost any race could be a Tinker. Unlike DH or Warden ideas, any race could study engineering and technology.

    7. Like Monks, Tinkers can fit into any expansion, so Blizzard has plenty of flexibility with where and when to implement the class.

    8. Tinkers can fill any group role. DPS, Tanking, or Healing works great with the Tinker class, again adding to its flexibility in terms of implementation.

    Of course there are arguments against Tinker as a new class, but most of those are from people who are against new classes in general. However, the main argument against this class is that it's too much like the profession Engineering. As mentioned before, Engineering is a crafting skill. A Tinker class would use offensive and defensive abilities. Also there's plenty of room within this class idea to make things very different from the Engineering profession. Also any engineer will tell you that the offensive abilities are more for laughs than actual use.

    Well, there's my argument. You read about my ideas for the actual Tinker class here;

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ss-idea-Tinker

    Last edited by Teriz; 2012-12-16 at 04:49 PM.

  2. #2
    Pandaren Monk Of-the-horde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Frankfurt am Main
    Posts
    1,940
    I like the idea when i played dota used to play tinker those 2 goblins

  3. #3
    That'd be cool, maybe limited only to gnomes & goblins ;-)

    -Grim

  4. #4
    This is quite possibly the least interesting new class they could add to the game. Do not want.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim32 View Post
    That'd be cool, maybe limited only to gnomes & goblins ;-)

    -Grim
    There's no reason whatsoever to limit the class. Yes, goblins and gnomes have an entire culture based around engineering (which is a crafting skill), but there have been plenty of examples of other races delving into the more technological side of the world.

  6. #6
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneth View Post
    There's no reason whatsoever to limit the class. Yes, goblins and gnomes have an entire culture based around engineering (which is a crafting skill), but there have been plenty of examples of other races delving into the more technological side of the world.
    Agreed. Don't know why you would limit a class that can be used by nearly every race to only two races. Especially given how much tech the Forsaken, Dwarves, and Humans use already. Heck, you fly to Pandaria on an airship. The Forsaken also used technology and alchemy to overwhelm Gilneas. The Horde used tech to destroy Theramore.

    Which btw furthers my main point about this class; Its clear that the Alliance and Horde war machine is entirely based around advanced tech. I'm really wondering why you're not seeing heroes popping up who are technological geniuses building advanced weaponry to help their faction's cause. Like Iron Man or Doctor Doom in the Marvel Universe for example.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2012-12-16 at 05:04 PM.

  7. #7
    Stood in the Fire Milzorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Kerava
    Posts
    429
    I'd love this. I always wanted to play a gnome equipped with guns and other machinery... and they can't even be hunters, grr

  8. #8
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,843
    Nice idea. I liked the concept of the tinker/engineer class in GW2, and having it applied to wow would make sense given the lore, and that an rp class for tinker already exists.

  9. #9
    I really think tinkers can be interesting if done right but your reason number 5 is mostly why it's not going to be in the game.
    Monks had potential too, they're ok in terms of fun now, but Blizzard missed a lot of things they could have done to make the class more unique.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    This is quite possibly the least interesting new class they could add to the game. Do not want.
    I second this....and besides if every new class that comes out is a flexible hybrid, what happens to classes that only fill 1 particular niche?
    This game shouldnt become World of Hybrids, or World of Recycled Ideas. Lets get some fresh blood.... a tinker doesnt seem fresh. But rather dull and boring.

  11. #11
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,775
    Quote Originally Posted by OscaR View Post
    I really think tinkers can be interesting if done right but your reason number 5 is mostly why it's not going to be in the game.
    Monks had potential too, they're ok in terms of fun now, but Blizzard missed a lot of things they could have done to make the class more unique.
    I disagree completely. Monks are extremely fun, and their tanking and healing specs are very unique. The only reason I currently tank is because its so much fun as a Monk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amnasty View Post
    I second this....and besides if every new class that comes out is a flexible hybrid, what happens to classes that only fill 1 particular niche?
    This game shouldnt become World of Hybrids, or World of Recycled Ideas. Lets get some fresh blood.... a tinker doesnt seem fresh. But rather dull and boring.
    If doesn't have to be a hybrid class, but it can be if Blizzard decides to implement as such. Which again is why this class benefits the game so much (IMO). If Blizzard needs another hybrid, the Tinker fits. If Blizzard wants another DPS only class, the Tinker fits. If Blizzard wants a class that most races can play lore-wise, the Tinker fits. If Blizzard wants a class that has plenty of lore and background in Blizzard games, the Tinker fits. If Blizzard wants a class that is unlike other classes currently in WoW, the Tinker fits. No other class idea floating out there is as unique and flexible as the Tinker.

    Now you might not like the class for whatever reason, but that really isn't the argument I'm making.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2012-12-16 at 05:14 PM.

  12. #12
    Herald of the Titans Syridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Outskirts of Lea Mondé.
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I disagree completely. Monks are extremely fun, and their tanking and healing specs are very unique. The only reason I currently tank is because its so much fun as a Monk.
    If summoning orbs of crap at the feet of players is 'very unique'', give me homogenisation anyday. It's like Lightwell all over again.

  13. #13
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    If summoning orbs of crap at the feet of players is 'very unique'', give me homogenisation anyday. It's like Lightwell all over again.
    The core of Monk healing is melee (Eminence) healing, which is very unique, and a lot of fun.

    But this thread isn't about Monks. Stay on topic please.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    I disagree completely. Monks are extremely fun, and their tanking and healing specs are very unique. The only reason I currently tank is because its so much fun as a Monk.
    Fun is objective but i was really talking about skill concept more than gameplay. For example I would love it if there's invoke Chi Ji, Niuzao and Yulon. That would make the last tier talents much more interesting. Fist of Fury also had potential but turned out to be very poorly designed. They could've designed more interesting mastery for the specs too. Like I said, monks are fun to play, no doubt, but there's so much more Blizzard could have done to make the class more "cool".

  15. #15
    Honestly, the fact that they would wear int mail is reason enough for blizzard to add them to the game. Ok, maybe not tinkers exactly, but I have my money on the next class being added to the game using int mail - blizzard obviously wants to round out their loot tables.

  16. #16
    The Patient Truhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Atheist
    Posts
    294
    I don't think Blizzard would ever do something just to "be different" since WoW tries to appeal to the masses (for better or worse). Also, I think Blizzard would find it to conflict too much with the Engineering profession, but I guess I'll byte (c wut i did thar?).

    1. Definitely. If a "next class" ever happens it should probably use int mail or plate, probably as a healing spec (though I suppose Demon Hunters could theoretically use int if they had some kind of Arcane-type spec). Tinkers could probably do something like SWTOR's smugglers/bounty hunters where they use little gadgets and shit to heal the crap out of people, so there would be yet another potential healing class for groups.

    2. This is a very good point. I understand that they wanted to get rid of stat sticks with this expansion, but now the ranged physical weapons have become more niche than agility-based two-handed weapons. Wait, does any class use agility-based two-handed weapons anymore? I don't remember.

    3. That doesn't mean that the game IS steam- or cyberpunk. Warcraft is very much a decidedly fantasy universe. The guns and engineering and whatnot is more to cover as many fanbases as possible. Of course, that's not to say the Tinker is impossible in WoW, but they'd need to start taking the lore in a new direction and have a good reason for all the new steampunk stuff. An excavation of a Titan archaeological site would do just fine.

    4. This isn't really a reason for anything. The Pit Lord was in Warcraft III as well. So was the Crypt Lord. You can't (and shouldn't) play those things in WoW.

    5. But you literally just used Hunters as an example. All a Tinker would be is literally a Hunter with engineer and steampunk flair.

    6. What? I don't think Orcs are smart enough to tinker with crap. I definitely don't want more internet trolls in my party. The style would also clash big time with the intense fantasy-style of Night and Blood Elves. That said, Goblin Death Knights and Tauren Paladins. Even I can invalidate my own points.

    7. I'm not so sure this is true. Death Knights were perfect for the dark tone of WOTLK. When I played the MoP beta, I didn't really feel that the Monks "fit in" with the expansion the same way that Death Knights did. I don't think it's impossible or anything, I just think it would be a bad idea to just throw Tinkers in an expansion that they're not really designed with. It would be neato as heck if they ended up being a patch class or something, though (as if that would ever happen).

    8. ANY class is open to flexibility depending on how you implement them. Hell, Rift has fucking rogues that tank.

    In conclusion, I like your hat. I might like to have one myself someday.
    This house is full of hate. This house is full of madness. This house is deep insane. This house...was never mine.

  17. #17
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Regorill
    Honestly, the fact that they would wear int mail is reason enough for blizzard to add them to the game. Ok, maybe not tinkers exactly, but I have my money on the next class being added to the game using int mail - blizzard obviously wants to round out their loot tables.
    Agreed. Not only that, but only two classes wear Mail after level 40. As of right now, the armor tables look like this;

    Plate:
    Warriors, DKs, Paladins
    Mail:
    Shaman, Hunters
    Leather:
    Rogues, Druids, Monks
    Cloth:
    Mages, Warlocks, Priests

    Anyone notice the difference? Also Hunters are the only class that can effectively use guns/bows. Tinkers could fill that gap as well.

  18. #18
    They should introduce a new weapon class: 1h pistols.

  19. #19
    The Patient Truhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Atheist
    Posts
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Agreed. Not only that, but only two classes wear Mail after level 40. As of right now, the armor tables look like this;

    Plate:
    Warriors, DKs, Paladins
    Mail:
    Shaman, Hunters
    Leather:
    Rogues, Druids, Monks
    Cloth:
    Mages, Warlocks, Priests

    Anyone notice the difference? Also Hunters are the only class that can effectively use guns/bows. Tinkers could fill that gap as well.
    That's fine and all, but look at specs more specifically.

    Plate: Out of 3 classes, 1 spec uses int.
    Mail: Out of 2 classes, 2 specs use int.
    Leather: Out of 3 classes, 3 specs use int.
    Cloth: Something about Spirit? I REALLY don't remember what all overhauls they did to clothies and int classes, I only really played Death Knights. I thought they made all int classes use Spirit as hit rate, but I remember seeing hit rate on some cloth pieces, so I'm clueless.

    Anyways, my point being mail is most likely, but Plate is a possibility too.
    Last edited by Truhan; 2012-12-16 at 05:54 PM.
    This house is full of hate. This house is full of madness. This house is deep insane. This house...was never mine.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnasty View Post
    and besides if every new class that comes out is a flexible hybrid, what happens to classes that only fill 1 particular niche? This game shouldnt become World of Hybrids
    This is hardly the argument we should be having at this point. Rather, it should be, "Why are there still pures in this game?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Amnasty View Post
    or World of Recycled Ideas. Lets get some fresh blood.... a tinker doesnt seem fresh. But rather dull and boring.
    I'm not convinced it's even possible to introduce a class (or really anything, for that matter) that doesn't feel at least a tiny bit "recycled". This at least seems more intriguing than a DH (because THAT wouldn't feel recycled at ALL).
    "I will say, I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •