Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Demo tanking aint dead

Most of you probably already know this.
    However, I still meet a lot of people who laugh at the idea and think it's impossible or downright retarded. Then there are people who say 'Yea you can tank X or Y, but you can't tank Shado-pan Monastery'.
    For that purpose I made this video

Anyway, it's just for a bit of fun and I figured I'd share. It isn't revolutionary or anything, but it can make capping that VP a bit faster/easier

Last edited by Sinj; 2012-12-16 at 06:56 PM.

And thats why it was designed for To tank easy content.

So, your PET tanked most of a fairly easy dungeon? That doesn't make you a viable tank. If anything it just proves Pets are broken (and annoying, for the most part), and the dungeons need buffing.

I'm pretty sure a warlock can tank all heroics even without a pet. Whether that makes capping that VP faster or easier, is another debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    So, your PET tanked most of a fairly easy dungeon? That doesn't make you a viable tank.
    I wonder if people say the same about hunter dps and hunter pets.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 07:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    And thats why it was designed for To tank easy content.
    I'm not arguing this. And I never said demo tanking could be used for anything greater. Like I said in the OP, I just wanted to share for those people who didn't know. If you knew, that's great. Some people don't and I made the video for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinj View Post
    DPS =/= Tanking. When a Warlock can tank current raid content without cheesing some weird mechanics, then they will be viable. Until then, it's just gimmicky agro on easy content with pets that ignore mechanics (think all the Panda Rares, Locks n Hunters can basically afk and let their pets do the work).

DPS =/= Tanking. When a Warlock can tank current raid content without cheesing some weird mechanics, then they will be viable. Until then, it's just gimmicky agro on easy content with pets that ignore mechanics (think all the Panda Rares, Locks n Hunters can basically afk and let their pets do the work).
    Hold on, who's talking about tanking raid content? It wasn't me, that's for sure (although several demo locks have already tanked Spirit Kings 10m). And I'm not arguing the rest of your post. It's like you *want* me to hold a certain position. Just because I made this video doesn't mean I think we should or could tank raid content

I'm not arguing this. And I never said demo tanking could be used for anything greater. Like I said in the OP, I just wanted to share for those people who didn't know. If you knew, that's great. Some people don't and I made the video for that.
    The problem is that you cant queue as tank so u need a hybrid friend that goes DPS but queue as tank, DA tanking was even slightly buffed with ward having 2 stacks.

Or you could see it as one of the benefits to having a pet tank. Considering you give up certain things, like mobility and positioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNWIdA7-LCQ

Video of me tanking Heroic Morchok while it was still current content on my hunter. Not saying hunters/locks should be tanks, but there is far more than just AFK and win.

I've tanked a lot of heroics including Shadow-Pan and never encountered any problem so far. Also went as OT in LFR Garalon.

Btw and you don't need a pet. It's you hos tanking.

DPS =/= Tanking. When a Warlock can tank current raid content without cheesing some weird mechanics, then they will be viable.
    I'd expand that slightly: when a warlock can reasonably tank every normal mode encounter in the current tier, without requiring the raid to be overgeared or experienced with the fights, warlock tanking can be considered viable. Pretty much every class has been used to tank five man instances and farm raid content that they overgeared. It doesn't mean anything. If you can't do progress raiding with a spec, it's not a viable spec. Nothing more to discuss.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Don't listen to the hate

Nice to see locks tanking again.... I enjoyed tanking Illidan and Leotharus back in the BC days

Quote Originally Posted by Underscore View Post
    I've tanked a lot of heroics including Shadow-Pan and never encountered any problem so far. Also went as OT in LFR Garalon.

Btw and you don't need a pet. It's you hos tanking.
    I've tried both and I liked having the pet better. You have higher HP with the pet actually (I have 532k HP with Sacrifice, but i have 447k + 133k with pet). Plus, the pet has 73% armor mitigation + the void shield with 60% mitigation (with 3 stacks up anyway)). Also, if you tank with a pet you get another 'healing CD': you can instant summon a new VL if it's low on HP (that's basically a 80-130k HP potion) every minute).

Edit: *if* you were to tank raids, then you have to give up the pet, since it can't taunt raid bosses (as far as i know).

Hold on, who's talking about tanking raid content? It wasn't me, that's for sure (although several demo locks have already tanked Spirit Kings 10m). And I'm not arguing the rest of your post. It's like you *want* me to hold a certain position. Just because I made this video doesn't mean I think we should or could tank raid content
    The only reason more raid content hasn't been tanked is just mechanics (Feng the Accursed) or I guess in the case of other bosses, just extreme amounts of damage which can later be outgeared and/or worked around. Will of the Emperor comes to mind as a fight that could be tankable if there was more damage mitigation (the bosses hit quite hard).

You could probably tank normal mode Garalon pretty easily; then and again, you can probably do it as a DPS.

Deleted

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 07:13 PM ----------

No, they dont. because the hunter actually has to press the buttons for the pet to DO the damage.
    Whereas your voidlord has retarded survivability and doesnt require ANY input from the player to do its thing.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 07:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    Don't listen to the hate

Nice to see locks tanking again.... I enjoyed tanking Illidan and Leotharus back in the BC days
    You didnt tank shit, you were a damage spunge.

Not saying you are, but when the title says Demo tanking isn't dead, by tanking it generally means everything - including current raid content. Having a pet hold most of the agro whilst you just soak damage with Demo Form doesn't really count as viable, as someone else mentioned, it has been done with pretty much every class/spec.

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    Or you could see it as one of the benefits to having a pet tank. Considering you give up certain things, like mobility and positioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNWIdA7-LCQ

Video of me tanking Heroic Morchok while it was still current content on my hunter. Not saying hunters/locks should be tanks, but there is far more than just AFK and win.
    It's a benefit, of course, I don't deny that. But that doesn't mean it isn't, imo, silly. When someone's pet can avoid a mechanic which the player can't, yet they can still get kills it just seems a bit stupid. Using the same example, I've watched so many Locks n Hunters kill rares only because their pet can move out of stuff so they don't have to do anything. When you see them agro a nearby mob, back-pedal away, barely survive it because their pet is occupied with something else. But that's not really the point of this thread, so I'll leave that.

Why are people so angry in this thread? The op never mentioned anything about raid content yet that seems to be everyone's focus....

Quote Originally Posted by lollze View Post
    No, they dont. because the hunter actually has to press the buttons for the pet to DO the damage.
    Whereas your voidlord has retarded survivability and doesnt require ANY input from the player to do its thing.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 07:29 PM ----------

You didnt tank shit, you were a damage spunge.
    Someones glass is full of hatorade....

Isn't that the job of all tanks absorb and mitigate damage???

and it's sponge btw
    Last edited by Raidboss; 2012-12-16 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    Someone glass is full of hatorade....

Isn't that the job of all tanks absorb and mitigate damage???
    Difference is actual tanks have to actually actively mitigate stuff, a pet doesn't.

Just want to be clear, I'm not hating, I just don't think this really makes Demo tanks "viable". Sure, you can get a group of friends or something and tank a dungeon, but then again so can pretty much every class, but you won't do much else.

Difference is actual tanks have to actually actively mitigate stuff, a pet doesn't.

Just want to be clear, I'm not hating, I just don't think this really makes Demo tanks "viable". Sure, you can get a group of friends or something and tank a dungeon, but then again so can pretty much every class, but you won't do much else.
    Did you read the last line of the OP?

It's just for a bit of fun he isn't planning on tanking Heroic Emperor