Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Difference is actual tanks have to actually actively mitigate stuff, a pet doesn't.
    I agree that 1on1 the pet is incredibly OP (Just check all the boss fights in the video to see that), however, on trash I can't just afk and let the pet do everything. I have to actively rotate Fury ward and use CDs and the pet can only have aggro on so many adds at a time. A lot of damage eventually gets through the pet and/or is directly dealt to me. I realise it's nothing near the same as proper tanks, but I do have to rotate mitigation/absorbtion skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    Did you read the last line of the OP?

It's just for a bit of fun he isn't planning on tanking Heroic Emperor
    Yeah, he said Demo tanking isn't dead. Shall I make a thread saying Holy Paladin tanking isn't dead?

Deleted
    I tank demonology when we pull our guild into heroics, and i also act as a third "emergency" tank in raid

Yeah, he said Demo tanking isn't dead. Shall I make a thread saying Holy Paladin tanking isn't dead?
    If you can tank heroics as easily as in the video, I say go for it! I honestly think that'd be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinj View Post
    If you can tank heroics as easily as in the video, I say go for it! I honestly think that'd be awesome.
    Righteous Fury and lots of heals, won't do much damage on AoE, but you'll probably still keep agro whilst everyone else kills things, and you could probably go 4 DPS and yourself.

Righteous Fury and lots of heals, won't do much damage on AoE, but you'll probably still keep agro whilst everyone else kills things, and you could probably go 4 DPS and yourself.
    Videos or we don't believe it

If this was true then challenge mode all golds should be GG for you no?

would be better off going with a real tank and no healer at all tbh...

I don't have a Holy Pally any more unfortunately, but I'm fairly sure it's still possible. Many times have Holydins been used to tank things. I remember tanking the adds on Kel'Thuzad back in Wrath as Holy. Just throw beacon on the tank and spam healed myself. ^_^

As for Challenge Modes, I think most don't even use a healer these days?

Deleted
    Did you gem/enchant stamina or any defensive stats, or are you just going full on dps?

Don't listen to the hate

Nice to see locks tanking again.... I enjoyed tanking Illidan and Leotharus back in the BC days
    in those days we also had mage tanks! (only 1 boss iirc)

Quote Originally Posted by Krazus View Post
    Did you gem/enchant stamina or any defensive stats, or are you just going full on dps?
    It's just my normal DPS gear (Affliction reforged/gemmed)

I honestly don't understand the hate the OP is recieving, he obviously tanked an instance with a group of friends as warlock, pre-decided. Seemsl ike they had a bunch of fun, so grats. And pets not being regarded as part of a pet class? Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormykitten View Post
    I honestly don't understand the hate the OP is recieving, he obviously tanked an instance with a group of friends as warlock, pre-decided. Seemsl ike they had a bunch of fun, so grats. And pets not being regarded as part of a pet class? Give me a break.
    Actually, it was a full PuG apart from the warrior Anyway, thanks for the nice comment

There is absolutely no way you can hold aggro with Righteous Fury and "lots of heals" off of good, competent DPS. And you'll die in any stun.

As for Challenge Modes, I think most don't even use a healer these days?
    How many challenge modes have you actually done? Because you definitely need a healer for most pulls, even if you can get away with said healer switching to DPS on some bosses.

Honestly, you had a point at the beginning of this thread, but now you're just making yourself look more ignorant of class mechanics with each successive post. To put it short, you're trying way too hard to prove a point.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2012-12-16 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinj View Post
    Most of you probably already know this.
    However, I still meet a lot of people who laugh at the idea and think it's impossible or downright retarded. Then there are people who say 'Yea you can tank X or Y, but you can't tank Shado-pan Monastery'.
    For that purpose I made this video

Anyway, it's just for a bit of fun and I figured I'd share. It isn't revolutionary or anything, but it can make capping that VP a bit faster/easier

You didn't tank anything, your pet did.
    Demo tanking is the warlock tanking with no pet.
    Go tank some raids without your pet and get back to me.
    How does queing as a dps make getting valor quicker I'm confused.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 07:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    and i also act as a third "emergency" tank in raid
    So do I for 7.5 seconds while I have dark bargain up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    I'd expand that slightly: when a warlock can reasonably tank every normal mode encounter in the current tier, without requiring the raid to be overgeared or experienced with the fights, warlock tanking can be considered viable. Pretty much every class has been used to tank five man instances and farm raid content that they overgeared. It doesn't mean anything. If you can't do progress raiding with a spec, it's not a viable spec. Nothing more to discuss.
    This x10.

Just stop.......locks aren't tanks. Can they soak dmg in severely undertuned 'heroic' 5 mans? sure! Can a lock tank any current raid boss assuming 490 avg raid ilvl? Nope! Keep having fun, but stop making dumb forum posts. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Just stop.......locks aren't tanks. Can they soak dmg in severely undertuned 'heroic' 5 mans? sure! Can a lock tank any current raid boss assuming 490 avg raid ilvl? Nope! Keep having fun, but stop making dumb forum posts. Cheers
    I'll quote wowpedia's post as my opinion (obviously this was written before MOP):

There are four combinations of class and spec which can truly be considered main tanks: Protection warriors, Feral druids, Protection paladins, and Blood death knights. Many other combinations of spec and class may substitute as tank in certain situations, but they are generally unable to tank most of the same-level content.

Several other classes have limited tanking abilities, mostly as off-tanks or tanks the 5-man instances below the level cap. Secondary tank classes generally require special builds to tank effectively. All other combinations of class and build except the main tank types fall under this category.

And just IMO, considering you don't even post in warlock forums, you're one to call out other people for making "dumb" posts.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    You didn't tank anything, your pet did.
    See my response in #21

Demo tanking is the warlock tanking with no pet.
    Says you.

Go tank some raids without your pet and get back to me.
    Did you even read the thread?

How does queing as a dps make getting valor quicker I'm confused.
    Yeah, it's not like we have EVER been in a situation where you and your friend want to do a heroic but your warrior friend doesn't want to tank. Nope, that's UNTHINKABLE.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    This x10.

Who in here has made the claim that warlocks are viable raid tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Why are people so angry in this thread? The op never mentioned anything about raid content yet that seems to be everyone's focus....
    It's probably cause thats where the toolkit of actual tank specs comes into play, while heroics and scenarios can be handled as dps with survival talents/spells. There's a difference between tanking something and being at the top of the threat meter as dps.

Deleted
    I make use of the tanking glyph on Garalon HC to 'tank'.
    Is it proper tanking? No.
    Can somebody find a use for it in current HC raid content? Yes.

Using the glyph I can output more dps than a tank would whilst maintaining a similar amount of survivability as a tank taking the cleave.