Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    the english like to think that they dont complain instead they write letters, the truth is the go mental trash the place and smash glasses into each others faces - just look at the football games
    Yes. Just like I am sure the crowd at a NASCAR event fairly represent the usual behaviours of the citizenry of the USA.... I mean someone fetch me my shanking glass.

10+ Year Old Account
    the english like to think that they dont complain instead they write letters, the truth is the go mental trash the place and smash glasses into each others faces - just look at the football games
    Have you been in a coma since the 1980's? Football hooliganism is pretty rare nowadays.

Deleted
    It all comes down to stereotypes.
    English people are snobs
    French people have funny mustaches
    Italians love pizza and spaghetti
    Eastern Europeans are all Russians
    And all Greeks are Spartans

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
    It all comes down to stereotypes.
    English people are snobs
    French people have funny mustaches
    Italians love pizza and spaghetti
    Eastern Europeans are all Russians
    And all Greeks are Spartans
    Something is wrong with you if you DON'T love pizza.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    European films are shit in my opinion, excluding British ones.
    You must not have seen a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    My point was that many of the older generation don't really regard themselves as Europeans or even being part of Europe, and from what you've said neither do some Scandinavians.

That it is factually incorrect to say that the British Isles aren't part of Europe is undisputed, but facts and patiorism rarely go hand in hand.
    aye, I know what you mean, just thought I'd point out how other countries or areas have people with a similiar mindset.
    I consider myself a European, but if I ran into an american and he asked where I'm from I'd probably say "sweden, scandinavia", if he didn't know where that is, I'd go "northen Europe dickhead" rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    Question. Why doesn't Europe seem to have anything comparable to Hollywood/Bollywood? They seem to make a lot of decent films over there, but they tend to be lower budget and more artsy from what I have seen. Why isn't there any country with studios that produce big blockbusters and super stars? It definitely seems like there is enough talent, but since no one over there is bothering to invest large sums of money into new studios and European films, all the talent comes to Hollywood.
    I think one of the problems is that big projects need to be cross-border colabs for the most part. Small countries can't support it. There is quite a lot of good movies though, La Haine(french movie) is probably one of my all time faves for example. If you get a chance head out to a good Film festival, they are surely going to air a decent number of high quality euro movies.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-12-18 at 01:12 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Damsbo View Post
    I've noticed that in a lot of hollywood films, the phrase "its what the europeans do" is being flinged around a lot.. It's usually utter BS.
    So, you americans, do you actually believe any of that stuff? and europeans, is this an actual thing in your contry? I can only speak for my own, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Examples:
    The kiss on each cheek, even amongst men - I've had someone do that to me, I thought the person was coming on to me.
    The "sleep naked" together as men. Dafuq? Infact, even sleeping together in the same bed as men; weird unless you're drunk.
    The sauna for both sexes.. No way is that happening here.
    Edit; remembered another: "It's normal for people in relationships to sleep with people, other than their girlfriend/wife/reverse."

Feel free to come up with more examples .

Edit. For you people that clearly dont understand; I am not stating these things as facts, merely things I have heard in movies. Movies of which I have not written down for your amusement. Also, wearing towels in saunas = not naked - you're naked UNDERNEATH the towel sure, but by that logic, you're naked all the time.
    To answer you examples

In Serbia it is a custom to kiss man in cheek, well not a custom but when we are drunk that is the way we express "love" ( not love man has for his girl ) and friendship.
    In some countries I read man sleep naked ( were its cold ), not in here. Dont really remember where i read it or watched...
    Here we have both sex sauna, the only reason why i was going to them.
    As for last no its not...

Keep in mind that Serbia is really anti gay country and that we have many groups that would probably kill gay person and some i think did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0wuGPE7a-Y

This was protest against gay pride or something like that.

p.s. Had to put it like this since it doesnt show when i use Insert video
    Last edited by markos82; 2012-12-18 at 01:31 AM.

Best film industries

1. US/UK/CAN (you really can't separate them)
    2. France
    3. South Korea
    4. India and central Asia

Deleted
    Because we're perfectly satisfied with Hollywood I guess?

I guess because the US is too dominant in the entertainment industry for something like that to happen.

most people dont see any European films, as they tend not to be in English

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    most people dont see any European films, as they tend not to be in English
    Subtitles man, english movies got subtitles here as well, doesn't really matter what country the movies come from as long as you can read!
    Subs on english speaking movies is almost annoying though imo. But it's for the elderly, there are still people who's english is lacking.

There are loads of good movies from lots of different countries, even Iran! Saw a couple of good ones from Iran this spring at the film festival.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Raidenx View Post
    Yeah I suppose you're right.

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 12:00 AM ----------

Hollywood is where the money is.

Also, it seems like the UK shares the film industry with America. You cant really say its only American anymore with the amount of British talent in the industry.
    The thing is all the British actors come to america because there isn't a European Hollywood.

Deleted
    The thing is all the British actors come to america because there isn't a European Hollywood.

basically, stay in Europe and make a few films with low budget and bad pay, or go to hollywood, massive movie, huge budget and ridiculous pay.

Well thats because you need a brain to understand movies made in Europe, movies not based on senseless killing, raping and torture... Not all movies are about guy killing 100 bad guys beacuse drug lord took his girlfriend, killed his kid, stole some money and stuff like that. Also it is hard to understand movies that are not 90% CGI. BUt yeah keep in mind that 95% of movies made in USA are not worth 10sec of watching, 5% are and from those 5% less then half are really good....
    Last edited by markos82; 2012-12-18 at 01:59 AM.

Well it's the same with most European actors tbh, with a few exceptions.

Pretty much all of Swedens biggest actors end up in hollywood at one point or another, Noomi Rapace(Sherlock Holmes, Prometheus, Passion etc) for example, the skarsgårds of course, David Dencik(Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, War Horse, Girl with the dragon tattoo), Mikael Persbrandt(The Hobbit), my fave Tuva Novotny sadly she has focused on doing Danish movies lately and hasn’t done Hollywood since her role as Julia Robert’s new best friend in Eat Pray Love from 2010. Hollywood is quite multicultural to say the least and tbh it's not only actors, it's film makers as well.

Half of the time I don't even realize they are from other countries until I google them or read an interview with them.

Like Jaime Lannister from GoT for example, nationality? Danish, living in Copenhagen. I wouldn't have guessed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Well it's the same with most European actors tbh, with a few exceptions.

Pretty much all of Swedens biggest actors end up in hollywood at one point or another, Noomi Rapace(Sherlock Holmes, Prometheus, Passion etc) for example, the skarsgårds of course, David Dencik(Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, War Horse, Girl with the dragon tattoo), Mikael Persbrandt(The Hobbit), my fave Tuva Novotny sadly she has focused on doing Danish movies lately and hasn’t done Hollywood since her role as Julia Robert’s new best friend in Eat Pray Love from 2010. Hollywood is quite multicultural to say the least and tbh it's not only actors, it's film makers as well.

Half of the time I don't even realize they are from other countries until I google them or read an interview with them.

Like Jaime Lannister from GoT for example, nationality? Danish, living in Copenhagen. I wouldn't have guessed it!
    Huh, and I thought Noomi was French this whole time for some reason

Well she looks like she could be french, but she got a swedish mom and spanish dad I think, or the other way around, lived in Sweden 90% of her life though(rest in Iceland), her ex hubby Ola Rapace is in the latest bond movie btw, Skyfall.

Deleted
    Because she's a brunette?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    You've included the English response. 'The British' include four very different people. I doubt the N. Irish, Scottish and Welsh responses would be as polite. I doubt in many cases it would even be legible English.
    Depends how sober they are, catch them after 3pm and you have no chance.

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 11:51 AM ----------

Question. Why doesn't Europe seem to have anything comparable to Hollywood/Bollywood? They seem to make a lot of decent films over there, but they tend to be lower budget and more artsy from what I have seen. Why isn't there any country with studios that produce big blockbusters and super stars? It definitely seems like there is enough talent, but since no one over there is bothering to invest large sums of money into new studios and European films, all the talent comes to Hollywood.
    When you start investing huge sums into a movie, what makes it different from Hollywood? We have our own little charms that make things special, Doctor Who started off with cardboard props and monsters made out of old washing machine parts.

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 11:53 AM ----------

And everyone from the south of the USA is a member of the KKK, infact the violent football thugs are a very small minority that belong to organised gangs. They coordinate with other groups and arrange these smashups for fun, the average football fan has no idea they will happen nor do they want them to happen.

Deleted
    Depends how sober they are, catch them after 3pm and you have no chance.
    You might not even have a chance even if they are sober. Have you ever tried speaking to an Aberdeenshire Farmer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Well thats because you need a brain to understand movies made in Europe, movies not based on senseless killing, raping and torture... Not all movies are about guy killing 100 bad guys beacuse drug lord took his girlfriend, killed his kid, stole some money and stuff like that. Also it is hard to understand movies that are not 90% CGI. BUt yeah keep in mind that 95% of movies made in USA are not worth 10sec of watching, 5% are and from those 5% less then half are really good....
    Did i imply i like movies based on killing, raping and torture? I consider most American movies to be shit as well, it's just that there is a variety of American movies that appeal to me while there is no such European alternative for me.