View Poll Results: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Voters
3472. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2,141 61.66%
  • No

1,331 38.34%
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Considering the fact you want to punish people for not following strict laws you want to impose, I doubt you're qualified to understand the difference between frightened gun control and responsible gun ownership.
    You have no place to say responsible gun storage when you have no idea what it entails. No such thing as bad storage, seriously?

It's why it's not surprising that you are unable to grasp that my proposals can be integrated easily with a UBC law and operate seamlessly. Calling it "punishing" is intellectually dishonest and somewhat hilarious, and why rational people don't take whiners like that seriously.
    Now you're just being vulgar and Decklan.
    I'll take that as a compliment. Unlike you, Decklan actually bases shit in the real world.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

Firearms are mechanical devices that fire projectiles. As such, they can be used for several different purposes, up to and including as a weapon to harm/kill other people.

But this use is not intrinsic. It is not required. It does not define what a gun is.
    well then you probably should rewrite the wiki articles and some dictionaries as well... because all of them apparently are wrong in their definitions of firearms
    secretly gay

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    and i will be remembered forever as the pants hat glove shoes naked guy from vienna

You have no place to say responsible gun storage when you have no idea what it entails.
    I said 'responsible gun ownership,' of which there are many different levels of acceptable storage. You want everyone to keep their guns in safes, regardless of circumstances that wouldn't require one.

I'd also like to know what makes you think your definition of 'responsible gun storage' is correct or even necessary.

I'll take that as a compliment. Unlike you, Decklan actually bases shit in the real world.
    You mean when he intentionally ignores the content of my posts so he can accuse me of hand waiving his arguments away, despite the fact that I typically address every point he makes?

Yeah, that's some 'real world basis' if I've ever seen it.

well then you probably should rewrite the wiki articles and some dictionaries as well... because all of them apparently are wrong in their definitions of firearms
    Unfortunately for you, dictionaries are not authorities on the definitions of words. Words are defined by the context in which they are used. This is why many words have multiple definitions/uses, and those definitions/uses change over time.
    Last edited by Eroginous; 2014-01-18 at 04:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

I said 'responsible gun ownership,' of which there are many different levels of acceptable storage. You want everyone to keep their guns in safes, regardless of circumstances that wouldn't require one.
    You think "responsibility" is on the counter or under a pillow. Views like that are why "the nanny state" is necessary in some regards; as people thoroughly demonstrate they're incapable of responsibility.

You mean when he intentionally ignores the content of my posts so he can accuse me of hand waiving his arguments away, despite the fact that I typically address every point he makes?

He "ignores" you when you put up the same debunked bullshit again and again without source and declare its veracity. Decklan lives in the real-world. It's high time you joined it.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately for you, dictionaries are not authorities on the definitions of words. Words are defined by the context in which they are used. This is why many words have multiple definitions/uses, and those definitions/uses change over time.
    Oh my fucking God, this is brilliant right after you declare others are handwaving.

Dictionaries aren't experts on the definitions of words (which is funny as shit) because I said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

Really? So people haven't spent 1200 pages in this thread trying to remove guns from society as much as possible out of fear that 'bad people' might get them and do bad things?

Somehow I don't think you're right. People are very afraid of guns. So much, to the point where it's become irrational and people are willing to pass any law they can get through congress just to feel less afraid. People like Decklan, Wells, and yourself are even willing to justify passing terribly inefficient and ineffective laws that will place more burden on law abiding citizens than criminals.

That's just how afraid of guns you people are.

Firearms are mechanical devices that fire projectiles. As such, they can be used for several different purposes, up to and including as a weapon to harm/kill other people.

But this use is not intrinsic. It is not required. It does not define what a gun is.
    Someone arguing that guns shouldn't inherently be considered as weapons has no standing to determine who is irrational. You are what we call, oblivious to reality.

- - - Updated - - -

The content of your posts isn't supported by anything except your own nothingness. There's not even anything there to ignore.

- - - Updated - - -

<blink>...

I'm looking for a word to describe this...let me get my dictionary.

i uhm, what?
    secretly gay

and i will be remembered forever as the pants hat glove shoes naked guy from vienna

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    You think "responsibility" is on the counter or under a pillow. Views like that are why "the nanny state" is necessary in some regards; as people thoroughly demonstrate they're incapable of responsibility.

He "ignores" you when you put up the same debunked bullshit again and again without source and declare its veracity. Decklan lives in the real-world. It's high time you joined it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my fucking God, this is brilliant right after you declare others are handwaving.

Dictionaries aren't experts on the definitions of words (which is funny as shit) because I said so.
    Dictionaries aren't the authority on definitions of words, which is why words have different meanings...

...as defined by dictionaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It tracks sources of loss, i.e. where guns are going from legal to illegal. You can then prosecute these sources as accessories and close them down.
    If your gun is stolen depending on state you are sometimes required to call the police or other agency to let them know. You seem to only care about guns being sold illegally and to hold someone accountable after the fact. This does noting against stolen guns or guns sold illegally if someone is killed. The person is still dead. What is the point honestly?

I never said keeping a gun under your pillow or on your counter was responsible. I just said it wasn't inherently bad and should not be treated as a crime. Responsibility is relative and where one should keep their guns largely depends on their circumstances. Making presumptions about the safety and responsibility of people and their private belongings is why you're not only clueless, but largely irrational.

The only thing Decklan has debunked is his ability to form a coherent argument. Citing statistics that don't mean what you want them to mean, massaging study results to fit your ideaology, and arguing strawmen all day, does not constitute 'living in the real world.'

It's a nice thought you appreciate his opinion, probably flattering that you imitate his logic in your posts, but I'm pretty sure you're just as deluded as he is on this subject.

Refuting an argument from authority with fact is no more hand waiving than addressing an argument point by point.

Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    If your gun is stolen depending on state you are sometimes required to call the police or other agency to let them know. You seem to only care about guns being sold illegally and to hold someone accountable after the fact. This does noting against stolen guns or guns sold illegally if someone is killed. The person is still dead. What is the point honestly?
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ocon/guns.html

because it´s the bigger issue, more than half of the guns used in crimes are illegally obtained, but only a fraction of them are stolen... so if you make it harder for criminals to get guns illegally, guess what?

- - - Updated - - -

Refuting an argument from authority with fact is no more hand waiving than addressing an argument point by point.
    what is your definition of fact? because by now, i´m certain it´s not the one in the dictionary
    secretly gay

because it´s the bigger issue, more than half of the guns used in crimes are illegally obtained, but only a fraction of them are stolen... so if you make it harder for criminals to get guns illegally, guess what?
    Guess what? The price goes up on the blackmarket and new loopholes will be found or something similar. Haven't people realized with the war on drugs these methods just don't work? Criminals will still get guns, people will still die. It will just make it harder for gun owners not criminals. Stolen happens to be illegally obtained unless otherwise stated.

Nothing of which you said is fact. It's your opinion based on the idea that you don't think definitions are an authority on defining words. As such, you've decided to use your own definitions and claim them as "fact" because you believe your "context" supersedes all else.

Yes, 1213 pages into a Gun Control thread you're arguing the definition of definitions. This is where we are in this discussion now thanks to your ridiculousness.

Guess what? The price goes up on the blackmarket and new loopholes will be found or something similar. Haven't people realized with the war on drugs these methods just don't work? Criminals will still get guns, people will still die. It will just make it harder for gun owners not criminals. Stolen happens to be illegally obtained unless otherwise stated.
    so nothing should be done...

because criminals will still get guns, people will still die, too bad, nothing you can do about it, that´s life, yo

how being unable to illegally obtaine guns make it harder for non criminals is beyond me
    secretly gay

Herald of the Titans Ghostpanther's Avatar
    You can not use logic with the anti-gun fanatics. And for the most part, this thread is basically a bunch of people in a pissing contest. I have my guns, I am going to keep my guns and use them in defense if needed. Hopefully that will never come to past and thankfully for now at least, I can lawfully keep them and use them for self defense.

what is your definition of fact? because by now, i´m certain it´s not the one in the dictionary
    Dictionaries record what words mean, they don't dictate meaning.

You tried to use dictionary definitions and and wiki pages as an authority to say that guns are weapons without exception.

I'm just trying to get you to understand why that's not correct.

Dictionaries record what words mean, they don't dictate meaning.

You tried to use dictionary definitions and and wiki pages as an authority to say that guns are weapons without exception.

I'm just trying to get you to understand why that's not correct.
    You can't get anyone to understand why YOU BELIEVE it's incorrect, because your opinion isn't fact, and isn't grounded in anything.

You have multiple people telling you your assertion is baseless and ridiculous. You even have people sympathetic to your view telling you how wrong you are. You aren't fighting the good fight here; you're simply being ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You can not use logic with the anti-gun fanatics. And for the most part, this thread is basically a bunch of people in a pissing contest. I have my guns, I am going to keep my guns and use them in defense if needed. Hopefully that will never come to past and thankfully for now at least, I can lawfully keep them and use them for self defense.
    what logic? the logic that you shouldn´t make it harder for criminals to obtaine guns because they will either way obtaine them?
    secretly gay

Actually read the article.

Wachtel says one of the most common ways criminals get guns is through straw purchase sales.
    This happens regardless of background checks. Nothing you can do to stop this short of increasing prosecution to scare people away from this option.

The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers.
    This also happens regardless of the fact that laws are in place to prevent it. People game the system. Not much you can do about it, once again, short of increased prosecution.

We all want to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, but there's really no laws that can be added to stop the methods talked about in this article. Feel free to suggest a few if you want to debate the issue.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Why would I hold an opinion of something I have absolutely no clue about? That's kind of a dumb thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Ignorance when coupled with arrogance is a natural disaster.

yep, not much you can do about it, other than probably licensing the guns to its buyers to prevent straw purchases, you know, like it´s being done with cars?
    secretly gay

yep, not much you can do about it, other than probably licensing the guns to its buyers to prevent straw purchases, you know, like it´s being done with cars?
    Guns purchased from an FFL are already linked to the name of the person who bought it. It doesn't stop straw purchases. Gun is found at the scene of a crime, well, "it was stolen".
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Why would I hold an opinion of something I have absolutely no clue about? That's kind of a dumb thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    Ignorance when coupled with arrogance is a natural disaster.