Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    That's an amusing statement considering you are all about world peace and trusting your neighbors. I didn't realize that leaving your window open to get some fresh air was stupid. And you call us afraid, or living in fear, or paranoid. I learn something new every day.
    you´re more willing to keep a gun at home in case someone comes in through your opened window than closing your window

i´m living in a city, compared to other major cities it´s small, but still i can´t know everybody, i bet my neighbours wouldn´t crawl in through my window, in fact, i stopped them from calling the police because i forgot to close my door once and i didn´t hear them at first
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Have you lot ever heard of the substitution effect? Because when faced with a locked door and closed windows, criminals just give up.

By the way, there is only one way for the world to be at peace. When it rests in peace. To think otherwise is to simply be blind to human nature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    you´re more willing to keep a gun at home in case someone comes in through your opened window than closing your window

i´m living in a city, compared to other major cities it´s small, but still i can´t know everybody, i bet my neighbours wouldn´t crawl in through my window, in fact, i stopped them from calling the police because i forgot to close my door once and i didn´t hear them at first
    Yes I am. It's my house. I can keep my windows open all night if I choose. An open window isn't an open invitation for someone to simply enter my house. At least not where I'm from. Maybe you do things different where you live.

And should that person decide to come in my house without permission they better be prepared to face the consequences.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

15+ Year Old Account
    wildtree help me out here, what´s the translation for "gelegenheit macht diebe" ?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    wildtree help me out here, what´s the translation for "gelegenheit macht diebe" ?
    And you think we are giving theives an opportunity by keeping our windows open to let air in? And because of that we shouldn't be allowed weapons to protect our home should such a thief act on this "opportunity"?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

15+ Year Old Account
    And you think we are giving theives an opportunity by keeping our windows open to let air in? And because of that we shouldn't be allowed weapons to protect our home should such a thief act on this "opportunity"?
    no, i find it ridiculous that you´re willing to risk letting someone inside your house and owning "precautions" in form of a gun rather than closing the windows or getting grilles

Wow, so is the argument really now I need a gun because I'm scared for my safety, but I'm going to leave my windows open?

10+ Year Old Account
    no, i find it ridiculous that you´re willing to risk letting someone inside your house and owning "precautions" in form of a gun rather than closing the windows or getting grilles
    So I live in prison and need bars on my windows?

And how DARE I leave my window open? What am I thinking? I must be mad!

15+ Year Old Account
    So I live in prison and need bars on my windows?

And how DARE I leave my window open? What am I thinking? I must be mad!
    this whole precautions debate just flew out the window

one last question, do you lock your car?

10+ Year Old Account
    And I can get a cheap shotgun with ammo for $100-$150 that requires no licensing, training or recertification costs.
    How much does it cost to keep your door closed and locked? How much does a rotating fan cost? These are common sense measures, especially if you live in dangerous areas.

And are you really advocating that people purchase shotguns and not train themselves on how to use them?

Most home security systems have a $100-$300 installation fee plus monthly fees after that of at least $50 if not more. In that situation it is much cheaper to purchase a shotgun and ammo. And depending on where you live you can buy a hand gun and ammo and pay any state fees and still save a very high amount of money when compared to purchasing an alarm system.
    You can buy a high decibel alarm contacts for $20. You can buy a more extensive kit for about $70, which includes motion detectors and window contacts.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't answer my question btw Pre. Let me ask it again:

And is that worse then someone with a rifle shooting at defenseless people? So you are saying that someone firing back, defending themselves, is worse then people just sitting there taking the rounds?
    No. I said that you can't predict what's going to happen in that situation. So your attempt to say "but someone could have fired back," isn't a valid argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Wow, so is the argument really now I need a gun because I'm scared for my safety, but I'm going to leave my windows open?
    I thought they were all about being prepared? Never know what's gonna happen, right?
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post

You can buy a high decibel alarm contacts for $20. You can buy a more extensive kit for about $70, which includes motion detectors and window contacts.
    No! not a motion detector, window contacts, or a scary alarm!

Boy that'll scare em off. And even if it doesn't youll have a soundtrack while being robbed/beaten/raped/murdered. Its a win win!

I bet if everyone got one of these $70 kits there would never be another robbery ever again!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    Boy that'll scare em off. And even if it doesn't youll have a soundtrack while being robbed/beaten/raped/murdered. Its a win win!
    mhm, better leave the windows open, that´ll teach em

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    No! not a motion detector, window contacts, or a scary alarm!

I bet if everyone got one of these $70 kits there would never be another robbery ever again!
    Are you saying that a screaming 120 decibel alarm isn't a deterrent for a potential burglar?
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Are you saying that a screaming 120 decibel alarm isn't a deterrent for a potential burglar?
    Trudging around in the dark half-asleep is definitely more intimidating than your lights popping on and an ear-shattering noise blaring all about waking up all the neighbors while simultaneously automatically dialing 911.

There's a really simple solution to this problem, and it doesn't involve firearms.

Here's a really great breakdown of household burglaries.

In cases where individuals were home and victimized, 65% knew the offender. That's interesting.

But the really interesting part is Table 7. In 77% of burglaries, in which the homeowner was present, the offender gained access through the following ways: Someone let the offender in, Open door or window, Unlocked door or window, Had key.

We could virtually eliminate household burglaries while the homeowner is present by using a little bit of common sense. Lock your doors, keep them shut, don't let strangers into your house, don't give out keys to people. And of course, a functional alarm system. No firearms necessary.
    Except you're missing one important fact: having a gun isn't there to prevent someone from entering your home. It's to protect you and your family from harm after a burglar has already entered.

Also: where are your statistics showing that locked doors/windows, refusing to let strangers in, not handing keys out, and having a functional alarm stop 100% of perpetrators who try to break into homes? If it's not 100% effective, then there is still good cause for every potential victim of a home burglary to have a gun.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Except you're missing one important fact: having a gun isn't there to prevent someone from entering your home. It's to protect you and your family from harm after a burglar has already entered.

Also: where are your statistics showing that locked doors/windows, refusing to let strangers in, not handing keys out, and having a functional alarm stop 100% of perpetrators who try to break into homes? If it's not 100% effective, then there is still good cause for every potential victim of a home burglary to have a gun.
    you know you´re now talking about 23% of burglaries, we´re now soon coming to numbers equivalent or smaller than gun fatalities in general...

10+ Year Old Account
    Today this man killed 3 people in Canada.

Someone got close enough to take a picture of him from behind. If that person had been a CC permit holder, she/he could have prevented this guy from injuring and killing more innocents.

you know you´re now talking about 23% of burglaries, we´re now soon coming to numbers equivalent or smaller than gun fatalities in general...
    Here's some math for you:

23% of 3.7 million is 851,000.
    23% of 266,000 is 61,180.

Both of these numbers are significantly higher than the number of gun related incidents in the US each year. Even if 0% of the 23% of burglaries ended in violence, that's still 23% of burglaries where the above mentioned methods were not successful at stopping a burglar, and someone was potentially at risk of injury or death. 23% of all burglaries where a gun is definitely justifiable.

The above mentioned methods being merely closing and locking doors and windows and not handing out keys.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I can afford a gun, but I can't afford to lock my house, buy an automatic light, or buy a security system.

Light and noise (in absence of presence) are the best burglary deterrents. Not playing Rambo. This is why clinging to guns for "home defense" is nothing more than an emotional crutch that some people just can't go without.
    The point is well taken, however..... I have 2 auto security lights, deadbolts on my doors and a dog. All have been proven to reduce intruder invasions. But I still want that gun in case those do not deter someone. Which they will not in all cases.