Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    This statement is disingenuous.

Having to review firearms laws for a cross country trip is not reasonable. While there is a federal law for protections while traveling via highway, you do have to exit the highway to get gas, or rest for example.
    Like I said. There's a baseline method of transport that should be legal everywhere you go.

We have uniform laws for everything else, but guns.
    That's not true at all. Not even a little.
    Eat yo vegetables

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    They're really not that difficult to understand, and they're readily available online for review.

As the baseline, transport the firearm in a locked case, unloaded, in the truck of your vehicle, separate from ammunition. It's not that hard.
    I don't have a trunk. So that makes it a bit hard. I can carry mine however I want in this state. My car is a direct extension of my home and I can conceal a loaded firearm any way I want here.

Like I said. There's a baseline method of transport that should be legal everywhere you go.

That's not true at all. Not even a little.
    You are right, I mispoke, but I think you get the idea. I really think you understand my point.

Most common items, like vehicles are pretty uniform. You may not like it, but guns are common.

I understand things like pot and gambling vary state from state (which is a whole nother argument)

Did you have anything else to say about what I posted, or just the cherry picked part?

There's a baseline method of transport that should be legal everywhere you go.
    Except, it's not.

This guy was charged with possession of an assault weapon, it doesn't matter if it's unloaded or stored in the trunk. Having it in your possession in Maryland is a crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    The funny thing is those weapons and magazines aren't used in the VAST majority of gun related crimes.

Just appeasing the whiners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I don't have a trunk. So that makes it a bit hard. I can carry mine however I want in this state. My car is a direct extension of my home and I can conceal a loaded firearm any way I want here.
    Which should be the case all over this country.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    This is either woefully naive, or just plain ignorant. Have you tried finding laws from state to state? It took me ~3 hours to locate some tenant/landlord laws in my county, and it required a trip to town hall.
    There's a boat-load of information online regarding each states firearm laws. Much of it from government websites. It's quite succinct. You can always call the Attorney Generals office of each state as well.

Depending on the firearm, this is a crime. There was a guy here in Maryland who was charged with it. Ultimately the case was dismissed, but it's still a crime.
    Well yes, the item must be legal in the states you're traveling through. That goes without saying. But the method for transportation of legal firearms is sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Except, it's not.

This guy was charged with possession of an assault weapon, it doesn't matter if it's unloaded or stored in the trunk. Having it in your possession in Maryland is a crime.
    Regardless of the type of firearm, this individual was not transporting his firearms in the method I mentioned. Not a great example.
    Eat yo vegetables

There's a boat-load of information online regarding each states firearm laws. Much of it from government websites. It's quite succinct. You can always call the Attorney Generals office of each state as well.
    We're simply never going to agree here, I think it's unreasonable to expect people to research their travel in such a manner. I don't need to verify that my headlights are legal, or that my car is legal, because the Federal government sets the standards. They should regulate this as well.

Well yes, the item must be legal in the states you're traveling through. That goes without saying. But the method for transportation of legal firearms is sound.
    Sure, this is a method for legally transporting firearms. But, it doesn't work in all states. How do I get my "assault weapon" from my home in West Virginia to my home in Maine? I literally can't do it legally.

Regardless of the type of firearm, this individual was not transporting his firearms in the method I mentioned. Not a great example.
    He was charged with possession of an assault weapon. It's describing exactly the situation I am saying these laws are failing in: you carry your firearm into a state where it's illegal, and suddenly, you're committing a crime.

If possession of a thing is going to be illegal, it needs to be controlled at the Federal level, or states should allow legal owners from other states to travel through their state with some form of reciprocity.

New York has basically made it illegal to posses those restricted firearms anywhere east of their state line for residents of bordering states.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    i was hesitant because of the price but i wouldnt go back and buy anything else for my first gun its like a guitar they have t feel right or no matter how much you pay you're stuck with something that's next to useless for you
    Definetly true, personal preference and fit is the most important thing. I'd have a 228/229 if SIG wasn't so expensive for what you get. I'm fine with my Berettas for half the price. Plus, the name is pronounceable without having to resort to acronyms!
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't need to verify that my headlights are legal, or that my car is legal, because the Federal government sets the standards.
    The Federal Government sets a base standard, which states may restrict further. Regulations on vehicle alterations vary from state to state.

This is true for practically everything. Whether it's restrictions on transporting firewood, driving while talking on a cell phone, speed limits, etc.
    Eat yo vegetables

The Federal Government sets a base standard, which states may restrict further. Regulations on vehicle alterations vary from state to state.

This is true for practically everything. Whether it's restrictions on transporting firewood, driving while talking on a cell phone, speed limits, etc.
    There is a slight difference between getting a $40 ticket for talking on your cell phone, and being arrested for felony possession of an assault weapon.

There is a slight difference between getting a $40 ticket for talking on your cell phone, and being arrested for felony possession of an assault weapon.
    Not in his mind. Its all the same thing. Everything is black and white, there is no gray.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not in his mind. Its all the same thing. Everything is black and white, there is no gray.
    Way to miss the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Punishments should fit the crime. But I don't feel bad for people that get arrested for transporting a prohibited firearm through a State. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Either learn the law, or leave the firearm at home. It's literally that simple.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe sit a few pages out Titan?
    Eat yo vegetables

Well fine. /goes and sits in the corner

Punishments should fit the crime.
    So simply traveling through a state with a firearm that is otherwise legal and being slapped with a felony charge fits the crime. A charge that brings with it thousands in fines and destroys your life. For transporting an otherwise legal firearm. No robbery, no shooting, no brandishing, no threatening, simply transporting. Not only transporting, but transporting it in an area of a vehicle no readily accessed, also locked up, also separate from ammo. Hell you might not even have ammo for it WITH you.

Felony charge. Punishments fits for sure.

Gotcha.

Well ok then. Can't really argue this logic, so I literally will not. Because that is bat shit insane to ANYONE else other than someone who is bias towards gun control.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2015-10-19 at 08:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So simply traveling through a state with a firearm that is otherwise legal and being slapped with a felony charge fits the crime....
    No. Accidentally transporting a firearm that was legally owned in your state but prohibited in another state should not carry a felony charge, in my opinion.
    Eat yo vegetables

No. Accidentally transporting a firearm that was legally owned in your state but prohibited in another state should not carry a felony charge, in my opinion.
    But you don't feel bad for those who are arrested and charged with a felony.

So... yea...

Punishments should fit the crime. But I don't feel bad for people that get arrested for transporting a prohibited firearm through a State. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Either learn the law, or leave the firearm at home. It's literally that simple.
    So, you're fine with people being unable to transport any restricted firearms into Maine, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, or Massachusetts because of New Yorks' laws.

And you aren't a de facto ban supporter... lol

10+ Year Old Account
    But you don't feel bad for those who are arrested and charged with a felony.

So... yea...
    When did I say that?
    Eat yo vegetables

When did I say that?
    ???? /12345

Punishments should fit the crime. But I don't feel bad for people that get arrested for transporting a prohibited firearm through a State.
    No I didn't quote the entire thing.

Yes the rest of the quote was irrelevant, so I didn't include it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you're fine with people being unable to transport any restricted firearms into Maine, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, or Massachusetts because of New Yorks' laws.

And you aren't a de facto ban supporter... lol
    Inability to transport your firearm across the borders of other states is about as far from a de facto ban as one can go.

- - - Updated - - -

???? /12345
    Where did I say I didn't feel bad if they're charged with a felony? Oh right, I didn't.
    Eat yo vegetables