View Poll Results: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Voters
3482. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2,144 61.57%
  • No

    1,338 38.43%
  1. #18421
    Democracy when it aligns with my views, tyranny and oppression when it doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I'm probably the nicest person on this whole damned forum, and you can make a sig from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    Just have a sig that says "I'm Batman."

  2. #18422
    Scarab Lord xylophone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,276
    I'm not one for posting youtube videos, but I found this one to be interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

  3. #18423
    Bloodsail Admiral jugzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    WV USA
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Or you could just accept the winds are blowing a direction you disagree with.

    I mean, me, for example. I absolutely accept your right to arms. But I'm an originalist on this issue, so I'll also accept limiting that right to single shot muzzle loaded muskets.

    We can spin around this circle if you want. And then of course I will be obliged to go on here about how Originalist i am on the 1st amendment and how it was there to only the protect printed press. That discussion will get us nowhere of course. But hey, your the one at the moment, trying to use the vagueness of the constitution, to limit the rights of citizens. I am sure that is what the founding fathers had in mind, right?

    Also I feel winds are blowing in my direction, so I'm not really mad, I just think your wrong.

  4. #18424
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    We can spin around this circle if you want. And then of course I will be obliged to go on here about how Originalist i am on the 1st amendment and how it was there to only the protect printed press. That discussion will get us nowhere of course. But hey, your the one at the moment, trying to use the vagueness of the constitution, to limit the rights of citizens. I am sure that is what the founding fathers had in mind, right?

    Also I feel winds are blowing in my direction, so I'm not really mad, I just think your wrong.
    I'd say it's not a circle at all, and I'd say that everyone decides to go Originalist on some but not all constitutional issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    If anybody is thinking of buying me a gift I would much rather they just donate that money to charity instead.
    chicken kiev

  5. #18425
    Bloodsail Admiral jugzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    WV USA
    Posts
    1,198
    I believe our first ammendment is extended beyond newspapers, and our 2nd beyond cap and ball.

  6. #18426
    Scarab Lord xylophone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,276
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    I believe our first ammendment is extended beyond newspapers, and our 2nd beyond cap and ball.
    Ban rifled barrels. Our founding fathers could have never envisioned weapons with the ability to accurately murder people from ranges greater than 100 yards away!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

  7. #18427
    Bloodsail Admiral jugzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    WV USA
    Posts
    1,198
    I think you hit on the head there. The enemy of peace is not these evil dirty racist right wing gun toting George Bush APAIC conservative FoxNews watching.....people. The real enemy here is physics.

  8. #18428
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    I think you hit on the head there. The enemy of peace is not these evil dirty racist right wing gun toting George Bush APAIC conservative FoxNews watching.....people. The real enemy here is physics.
    Laws of Nature are a bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    If anybody is thinking of buying me a gift I would much rather they just donate that money to charity instead.
    chicken kiev

  9. #18429
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post

    It's a good thing we live in a democratic republic where public opinion does matter, and not in a dictatorship where the minority can indefinitely oppose the will of the majority.

    Also, Obamacare being popular has absolutely what to do with background checks? Disconnect and failure of logic.
    You do realize the hypocrisy of this statement correct? You speak of the minority opposing the will of the majority, and yet 58% against would be the majority vs 42% for. I guess your next move is super majority or some shit, but that isn't what you said. If the minority couldn't stand up to the majority, we wouldn't have a lot of the currents things we have.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

  10. #18430
    Why am I not surprised that when finding themselves in the voting block minority, the pro-gun lobby pulls out the oppressed victim card?

    Please tell us how extending background checks is oppression.

    And just remember, the NRA and right wing pundits told their followers to ignore emotional fear driven arguments, so the evil liberals wanting to take your guns and background checks being a stepping stone argument should be ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I'm probably the nicest person on this whole damned forum, and you can make a sig from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TZK203 View Post
    Just have a sig that says "I'm Batman."

  11. #18431
    Bloodsail Admiral jugzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    WV USA
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Why am I not surprised that when finding themselves in the voting block minority, the pro-gun lobby pulls out the oppressed victim card?

    Please tell us how extending background checks is oppression.

    And just remember, the NRA and right wing pundits told their followers to ignore emotional fear driven arguments, so the evil liberals wanting to take your guns and background checks being a stepping stone argument should be ignored.
    This is very interesting, its like you made this post 3 months ago, on another page, discussing another topic, and you ended up having your words posted here.

    I agree with you on the evil liberals wanting to take away your guns thing though, I try to ignore them all the time. And will continue to do so until the day they send someone to my house to collect my guns. And then I will tell then "Decklan said you wouldnt come for my guns!" And then they would go away, respecting the constitution and all that
    Last edited by jugzilla; 2013-05-18 at 08:47 AM.

  12. #18432
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Ban rifled barrels. Our founding fathers could have never envisioned weapons with the ability to accurately murder people from ranges greater than 100 yards away!
    What about slugs in shotguns ? Those can reach further than that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Why am I not surprised that when finding themselves in the voting block minority, the pro-gun lobby pulls out the oppressed victim card?

    Please tell us how extending background checks is oppression.

    And just remember, the NRA and right wing pundits told their followers to ignore emotional fear driven arguments, so the evil liberals wanting to take your guns and background checks being a stepping stone argument should be ignored.
    The anti-guns ignore real crime statistics in the legislations they are pushing.
    Last edited by Aelayah; 2013-05-18 at 10:16 AM.

  13. #18433
    What about slugs
    Ban slugs!

    I'll get some salt...

    Please tell us how extending background checks is oppression.
    We weren't just talking about background checks. We were talking about a soft poll that 'shows' majority support for banning both semi automatic weapons and 'assault weapons' in addition to extending background checks.

    Stop responding with straw men.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

    Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

  14. #18434
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    1. It's cute that you compare the majority of America wanting more extensive background checks to racism and anti-homosexuality in a giant straw man.

    2. Who said anything about BANNING guns? Oh wait that's right, we can't have have comprehensive background checks because [insert slippery slope nonsense] GUN CONFISCATIONS.

    3. Dear lord can we have a discussion about background checks without false equivalencies, slippery slopes, straw men, and other fallacies? Although I'm not really surprised the right has begun comparing being in the minority on BACKGROUND CHECKS to racism and anti-homosexuality.
    1. I wasn't comparing background checks to racism or anti-homosexuality. I was pointing out how dumb your statement was about the majority being hindered by the minority. Who the fuck is the majority anyway? Only 30% of Americans have a College degree. We have a roughly 10% high school drop out average. The "majority" doesn't automatically mean "correct." The "majority" support and have supported some pretty bullshit ideals, still do.

    2. Lots of people in this thread and on this subject have supported banning guns. If this is a new concept to you, perhaps you should pick any three pages of this nearing 1000 page thread to find one of the hundred. Or, if you figure that would be too much work, turn on your television or radio to a news outlet for about 5 minutes currently. Just because YOU didn't doesn't mean it isn't also a current topic. Hell, Captain Slow even posted a Poll which "supports" the ban of a 80% of all firearms.

    3. We can have a "discussion" about background checks when the follow can also happen...

    A. Those pushing the matter can explain how a background check would have prevented New Town, Virginia Tech, Aurora, or the Gabby Gifford shooting. (Btw when doing so, please keep in mind that I've yet to see a 'background check' proposal that tackles patient rights issues or the fact that under the current setting only those put into the care of State run facilities can make it into the NCIS)

    B. Some evidence or proof can be provided that the law does something without a Registry.

    C. A presentation of conclusive numbers showing traced private sale firearms being sold to felons which would equate to the justification of such a measure and tax on the law abiding citizens.

    I ask this because these are three very important parts and details which somehow fucking vanish in the conversation.

  15. #18435
    Herald of the Titans Yilar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    The anti-guns ignore real crime statistics in the legislations they are pushing.
    Link the chicago crime stats AGAIN. We've been over this topic multiple times now. These "crime statistics" reveal nothing but the fact that local laws have almost no effect.

  16. #18436
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Link the chicago crime stats AGAIN. We've been over this topic multiple times now. These "crime statistics" reveal nothing but the fact that local laws have almost no effect.
    I was talking about the type of firearms used in crime. Handguns account for the large majority, yet they focus on rifles. And the background check thing wouldn't be enforcable without a registry.

  17. #18437
    You guys do know that NICS call are made at gunshows, right? Even on C&R items.

  18. #18438
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaynith View Post
    You guys do know that NICS call are made at gunshows, right? Even on C&R items.
    That's the fun part, many people (even politicians) don't seem to know that there are background checks for everything except private sales.

  19. #18439
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    That's the fun part, many people (even politicians) don't seem to know that there are background checks for everything except private sales.
    Too true...whats even more sad is the majority of people in this thread dont know what NICS or C&R is without googling it. How can you discuss background checks without knowing what NICS is?

  20. #18440
    The Lightbringer Deadvolcanoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaynith View Post
    You guys do know that NICS call are made at gunshows, right? Even on C&R items.
    Private citizens can and do rent tables at gun shows and sell firearms without any background checks being made.

    You are aware of that, right?

    And just for good measure:

    Last edited by Deadvolcanoes; 2013-05-18 at 04:22 PM.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •