First global research centre for ageing science, in Japan

First global research centre for ageing science
    Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Educa...geing-science/

UNIVERSITI Sains Malaysia recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Riken Research Institute Japan at its campus in Wako, Tokyo, Japan.

The pact was to strengthen the relationship in international research between Malaysia and Japan, by establishing the first international research centre in the field of Ageing Science called the USM-Riken International Centre for Ageing Science (Uricas).

USM was represented by vice-chancellor Prof Datuk Dr Omar Osman while Riken by its president Prof Dr Ryoji Noyori.

Both sides would be focusing on research into the science of ageing.

“The relationship between USM and RIKEN would be to find a solution to end the problem of ageing,” said Prof Noyori.
    This is pretty interesting, in a few ways, Japan is going to have a population problem soon, the younger generation are choosing, more and more, not to have children.
    Last edited by Connal; Yesterday at 08:42 PM.
    "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." - John F. Kennedy

Seems like an appropriate place for it to be. Although I'm not sure if I'd say aging is a "problem" just a fact of life you deal with both physically and mentally.

I take it this is more the biological aspect rather than the sociological aspects of an aging population?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Seems like an appropriate place for it to be. Although I'm not sure if I'd say aging is a "problem" just a fact of life you deal with both physically and mentally.

I take it this is more the biological aspect rather than the sociological aspects of an aging population?
    Yes, slowing, or reversing aging. Or, treating age(both mental and physical degradation) like a disease.
    "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." - John F. Kennedy