Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Quantum computers could greatly accelerate machine learning

Quantum computers could greatly accelerate machine learning
    Source: http://phys.org/news/2015-03-quantum...y-machine.html

For the first time, physicists have performed machine learning on a photonic quantum computer, demonstrating that quantum computers may be able to exponentially speed up the rate at which certain machine learning tasks are performed—in some cases, reducing the time from hundreds of thousands of years to mere seconds. The new method takes advantage of quantum entanglement, in which two or more objects are so strongly related that paradoxical effects often arise since a measurement on one object instantaneously affects the other. Here, quantum entanglement provides a very fast way to classify vectors into one of two categories, a task that is at the core of machine learning.

This is pretty fascinating. And I think, this is the way it has to go for AI, quantum based CPU's.
    "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." - John F. Kennedy

I don't mean to sound like a smartass, but doesn't this boil down to, "Faster computers will make things that computers do go faster."?

This isn't anything new, really. Quantum computers are sorta build for this exact reason. We need qbits in order to be able to simulate brutal amounts of data at the same time. With enough useable qbits, the processing power becomes quite ridiculous very fast.

I can't wait for quantum processed weather predictions. "In four days, there is going to be 14,33°C in this street"

Not today or tomorrow, but in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I don't mean to sound like a smartass, but doesn't this boil down to, "Faster computers will make things that computers do go faster."?
    Yes, and no. The current turing machines would never be able to match a quantum computer in raw potential.

Mostly because Turing Machines use bits, and quantum computers use qubits.

Turing Machine = 0 or 1
    Quantum Machine = 000 or 111 or 001 or 010 or 011 or 100 or 101 or 110
    "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." - John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Yes, and no. The current turing machines would never be able to match a quantum computer in raw potential.

Mostly because Turing Machines use bits, and quantum computers use qubits.

Turing Machine = 0 or 1

Turing machine does not use bits, it uses an alphabet. Your alphabet can have as much symbol as you want. Current electronic computers (which are not Turing machines) use binary system. Don't quote me on that but as far as I know quantum computers are not better in all sorts of problems.

This seems fun, I wonder what kind of physical foundation is required to play with it.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; Yesterday at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Turing machine does not use bits, it uses an alphabet. Your alphabet can have as much symbol as you want. Current electronic computers (which are not Turing machines) use binary system. Don't quote me on that but as far as I know quantum computers are not better in all sorts of problems.

This seems fun, I wonder what kind of physical foundation is required to play with it.
    I am more talking about the general term for the Turing machine, or the Universal Turing Machine it inspired. But yes, the original was very different from the current CPU's.

Or to paraphrase:
    A Turing Machine is the mathematical tool equivalent to a digital computer. It was suggested by the mathematician Turing in the 30s, and has been since then the most widely used model of computation in computability and complexity theory.

Don't quote me on that but as far as I know quantum computers are not better in all sorts of problems.
    This is correct. You probably will never play video games on quantum PCs, but if you need to make calculations it's the shit

I am more talking about the general term for the Turing machine, or the Universal Turing Machine it inspired. But yes, the original was very different from the current CPU's.

Or to paraphrase:
    I think equivalence is in terms of computation capability, not architecture. A Turing Machine can compute anything modern computers can compute, it just takes a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    This is correct. You probably will never play video games on quantum PCs, but if you need to make calculations it's the shit
    You might, but it might be more akin to having a math coprocessors, that were added to early x86 computers.

So you might have a photonic computer, that works more like a conventional CPU, and a co-processor that does other calculations faster, and then supplies the processed output to the CPU. Kind of like how GPU's have become pretty big in Deep Learning, and Games.

- - - Updated - - -

I think equivalence is in terms of computation capability, not architecture. A Turing Machine can compute anything modern computers can compute, it just takes a bit longer
    Yes. LOL, longer as in many, many years over what could take seconds on a modern CPU.

- - - Updated - - -

As a side note, for any that have not read any of Turing Papers on AI, I highly recommend it:

'Can digital computers think?'
    Date: May 5 1951.
    http://www.turingarchive.org/browse.php/B/5

You might, but it might be more akin to having a math coprocessors, that were added to early x86 computers.

So you might have a photonic computer, that works more like a conventional CPU, and a co-processor that does other calculations faster, and then supplies the processed output to the CPU. Kind of like how GPU's have become pretty big in Deep Learning, and Games.
    Sure, if we ever manage to work out the cooling problem, maybe you can put one of those in your room. But there is just so much room to make liquid nitrogen cooling even smaller. And don't get me started on the technicalities which I know virtually zero about, but the last talk I watched was from Google directly, and there is basically only one functioning quantum computer out there right now, and Google / NASA is using it. However, "some scientists" are still arguing whether or not it is a quantum computer in the classical sense, or just a computer that utilizes some aspects of quantum computing.

So it might take another 30 years to have this technology mainstream, I guess. For commercial purposes we will see it a lot faster than this, though.

Sure, if we ever manage to work out the cooling problem, maybe you can put one of those in your room. But there is just so much room to make liquid nitrogen cooling even smaller. And don't get me started on the technicalities which I know virtually zero about, but the last talk I watched was from Google directly, and there is basically only one functioning quantum computer out there right now, and Google / NASA is using it. However, "some scientists" are still arguing whether or not it is a quantum computer in the classical sense, or just a computer that utilizes some aspects of quantum computing.

So it might take another 30 years to have this technology mainstream, I guess. For commercial purposes we will see it a lot faster than this, though.
    Yes, D-Wave is interesting, and yes, it still requires liquid cooling. I am hoping that they solve that problem quickly. Quantum effects have been observed in warm/wet environments, and there have been recent discoveries that solve the disentanglement problems. So, I think it will be a while, but it will come. And research is being done in both Photonic CPU's and Quantum ones.

As a side note, for any that have not read any of Turing Papers on AI, I highly recommend it:

'Can digital computers think?'
    Date: May 5 1951.
    http://www.turingarchive.org/browse.php/B/5
    Thnx for the link, I will check it out tomorrow.

Yes, D-Wave is interesting, and yes, it still requires liquid cooling. I am hoping that they solve that problem quickly. Quantum effects have been observed in warm/wet environments, and there have been recent discoveries that solve the disentanglement problems. So, I think it will be a while, but it will come. And research is being done in both Photonic CPU's and Quantum ones.
    I hope the technical revolution doesn't hit me when I am too old to understand it anymore.

With quantum computers and quantum entanglement, would it be possible to accidentally clone someone in deep space when doing it on earth?

I hope the technical revolution doesn't hit me when I am too old to understand it anymore.
    Yes, I too worry about that. But I am hopeful that either Ray Kurzweil, or Aubrey De Grey are right.

Which might be too optimistic, but hey, at least someone is working on the aging problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    With quantum computers and quantum entanglement, would it be possible to accidentally clone someone in deep space when doing it on earth?
    As in projecting matter? Interesting... I am not sure... That is an interesting thought though.

It could be how teleportation could work. But I doubt anyone has enough information to say yes or no, so I just say I don't know.

Yes, I too worry about that. But I am hopeful that either Ray Kurzweil, or Aubrey De Grey are right.

Which might be too optimistic, but hey, at least someone is working on the aging problem.
    To be honest, eternal youth is something I hope never comes. The circle of life and death is a good one. It keeps us going, there is always a need for new offspring, new people, new genes. If people suddenly only died from illness or accidents, we'd see the same super model for 50 years, as if she was in her 20's.

I need fresh boobies from time to time

To be honest, eternal youth is something I hope never comes. The circle of life and death is a good one. It keeps us going, there is always a need for new offspring, new people, new genes. If people suddenly only died from illness or accidents, we'd see the same super model for 50 years, as if she was in her 20's.

I need fresh boobies from time to time
    I do not care about bodies, per se. I care about uploading myself to a machine. I worry about aging because while that might be possible, I think Ray is being too optimistic when he says it will be here in 2045. But I am hoping that with different therapies, I can live long enough to actually do that.

In other words, I care more about information of the mind, and my consciousness, then the body.

Turing Machine = 0 or 1
    Those are just the possible inputs or outputs of a 1-bit (first line) or 3-bit (second line) classical computer. The difference between bits and qubits is that a bit is always either 0 or 1 whereas a qubit can be "both at once" (keywords are "superposition" and "entanglement"). This allows, for example, massive parallel computation.

Example: Computation of all the possible values of the XOR operation (a common binary boolean operation), by using a 2-bit classical computer and a 2-bit quantum computer.

Classical computer would need 4 separate XOR calculations:
    input --> output:
    00 --> 0
    01 --> 1
    10 --> 1
    11 --> 0

Quantum computer (QC) would only need one:
    input --> output:
    |00> + |01> + |10> + |11> --> |0> + |1> + |1> + |0>

In the case of QC, the input is a superposition of all the possible classical inputs. (In practice, the output would also have to be a 2-qubit state, e.g. we could have a dummy 0 qubit as the 1st qubit. The output would then read |00> + |01> + |01> + |00>.)

Playing a computer game is nothing but calculations either, the point of quantum computing is for some special algorithms (pretty sure the eng.wiki even has a few examples) like encryptions or matrix calculations, there you'd get a significant bonus. In most everyday areas there are barely any concepts let alone any proven uses, which makes this quantum computing hype currently quite the cheap science profilation by blinding people who don't know any better with technical mumbo-jumbo.
    Last edited by Haidaes; Yesterday at 05:53 PM.

The Lightbringer AlarStormbringer's Avatar
    I feel like it's great that they're making the jump towards the truly quantum computer, but I don't understand why they haven't tried to make a fiber optic computer in the meantime. As I understand it we have the technology to do it, and light moves faster than electricity. It could potentially shave a lot of time off of computing speeds as it stands.

My deviantART