Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Can't be. It doesn't have a shoulder-thing-that-goes-up.

Can someone update me on why so many American people are so keen on worshiping a two hundred something year old document written in a completely different world? What is so damn sacred about Constitution? Doesn't it strike you odd that one of the biggest countries in the world is still governed by a set of rules written by a bunch of agrarian rebels three centuries ago?
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Can someone update me on why so many American people are so keen on worshiping a two hundred something year old document written in a completely different world? What is so damn sacred about Constitution? Doesn't it strike you odd that one of the biggest countries in the world is still governed by a set of rules written by a bunch of agrarian rebels three centuries ago?
    Apparently you've never heard of the bible...

Our Constitution can be updated anytime we want it to be. However, we like our rights as they are.

If you don't agree with them you're free not to come here.

Its odd Canada has about one third of the weapons that America does and they have about a murder every year. You know why well in Michael Moores Bowling for Columbine. He traveled to Canada where they are pretty open and trusting their political system is also more closely working to get things done. In our News we focus on the biggest story's.

That is ONE murder a year. And that's maybe even a murder. Some years they have none. Compared to the thousands of murders we have every year in United States.

As to answer your question. You are correct. These commits were made back 200 years ago. A ton of stuff changes every 50 years let alone another 200 years. Its less about our rights and more about the strong distrust that some Americans have after living in a society of fear that every time you turn on the news something bad is happening.

C Some people really do have this fear if they give up their weapons then the government will rule them all with an iron fist. They claim guns are a last resort to a corrupted government.
    Last edited by FusedMass; 2012-12-29 at 01:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're forgetting something: the document has been amended and the way that it is interpreted changes as society changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which part of the constitution do you not like?

1.) The part that says people can say / believe what they want?
    2.) The part that says people can have access to tools to defend themselves / nation?
    3.) The part that prevents the government from taking your house over?
    4.) The part that prevents the government from searching through all your stuff?
    5.) The part that prevents the government imprisoning you without due process?
    6.) The part that says you have the right to be judged by your peers in criminal cases?
    7.) The part that says you have the right to be judged by your peers in civil cases?
    8.) The part that prevents the government from handing out cruel or unusual punishments?
    9.) The part that protects other rights not listed above?
    10.) The part that gives the people / states those rights not listed?

I think those farmers from 200 years ago laid things out pretty well. Which of those ideas are outdated?
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Can someone tell me why so many people don't realize that the document isn't set in stone and can be changed through amendments?

It has been amended quite a few times over the years.

The US constitution is the only thing preventing the US government from total control. It was made by the founding fathers to prevent corruption that is happening today.

The government is there to serve the people, not the other way around.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    The news clings to the idea that Assault Weapons are machine guns, many of the video's are actually machineguns even. They really do count on ignorance in the face of what the guns are, to make it seem like they do something more than they do. The pistol grip is the big thing for them, really, but other features that make it an assault weapon is a bayonet lug (do any of the folks that want to ban these guns actually care about the possibility of a bayonet?), a collapsible stock, a flash hider (the flash hider was a huge thing for some folks, I really wish I could find some of the old stuff where they made it out to be a silencer).
    Like politicians from either side of the aisle hardly being geniuses, nor the most honest of folks. Neither are "news" programs much better than "infotainment" anymore. News stations don't count on ignorance. They rely on sensationalism. Pretty much always have actually. Sorry, but I don't see that as any worse than the ones calling Obama a Muslim or saying he isn't "really" an American. Again, hardly unique from either side of the aisle. Now I am not saying its right or even respectable. Its politics and its been played, over here at least, this way since the revolutionary war and before.

If you had to say something about me, I wouldn't say I'm political, but I have a very low opinion of the news services nowadays. Sure it started when I was a child and they said playing D&D meant I was a devil worshipper, but it hasn't gotten any better since. The video game thing was dumb of them, but a perfect example of how folks from a spectrum of society view something as "wrong" without understanding it. One of the gun dealers I know is a big machinegun dealer (all legal and such) and has 4 xbox 360's in his place so they can play when it's slow and boring.Guns are fun to shoot, and for folks with the money (it's not a cheap hobby), it's just another enjoyable thing to do.

Same with violent movies, while I may regard them as a sign of the violent times, I don't regard them as causing violence (though maybe stupidity in some cases...). The movie industry is also happy to point fingers at video games as a scapegoat, anything to deflect blame.

You've got a case of politicians and newsmen that don't want to educate themselves, let alone educate the people they're talking to. They want to prey on people's emotions to get ratings.
    They always have. They probably always will. "Remember the Maine, to hell with Spain!" Does that ring any bells? This isn't a case of some folks trying to swing public opinion. This is the template they, well "we" actually since I'm guessing we are both Americans, have always used. Which again makes it all the more important to get ahead of the wave and undercut it. It is Public Opinion 101 and deciding to stick your head in the sand isn't going to keep your butt dry. You need to get spokesmen with an actual counter to Feinstein and the guts, and brains, to go places besides the bench at FOX News.

Again, hate watching or listening to politicians so don't know if your "side" has. Have you?

I saw the "$500 pistol" in your post, wasn't sure if that was the Tec-9 though. Tec 9's topped out at $250 at most in every market I'd ever seen. Not sure of the story behind that (baseless supposition would say that the seller charged them a lot because he knew they couldn't get a gun elsewhere or something). DPMS is a cheaper brand of AR15 than the ABC's (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt), not as well known.
    To use a Bushmaster, during the ban a "post ban" (fixed stock, no flashhider) would have been in the $700 range, now they're up to $900 range.
    I don't know much about the historical prices of firearms but the TEC9 was bought from the gun show for $491 by the guy who sold it to them That's actually on the receipt apparently so either the price of guns has actually dropped? Or maybe whether they were more available or not, the ban drove the prices up.

It's not a nickname, when The Brady Campaign/ Handgun Control Inc lost ground on the AWB and other initiatives, they went after gun shows. They cooked up the "gun show loophole" term, saying you could buy from a dealer at a show without a background check. When that was disproved they went for the "most criminals get guns at shows!" as the loophole, but ATF tracing data didn't indicate that. They created a term, then tried to justify it.
    Which shows they had better tacticians than your side if anything. Hehe... Kind of funny if you consider that you guys have the guns but they were actually better at hitting the right target. A decade or two, or more(?), later and its still called the "gun show loophole." Its a nickname that stuck. Like Saturday Night Special or Bazooka.

Right, makes sense why they settled. What I remember of the case, it was brought by Handgun Control Inc on behalf of the victims, to try to force Bushmaster through the lawsuit to change their guns. Bushmaster took the money to the families, thus pre-empting the lawsuit entirely.
    Exactly, quite clever actually. You guys need a lot more of that.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

This should have happened a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agrarian upper class slave owning rebels, thank you very much.

Well despite the Constitution being old, it was almost shockingly well written. It has been itself quite adept at being modifiable enough and vague enough to keep itself relevant. The document itself was one of this country's greatest compromises and, to be honest, has never quite been rivaled since. Quite a shame that. At least not in this country anyways.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-12-29 at 03:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Constantly returning to the "original intent" of the bill of rights would imply that it's not meant to be changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    We don't have to return to the original intent of the 2nd Amendment. Nor does it need to be changed. The "understanding" of our "rights" shifts back and forth over the years. The current interpretation of the 2nd Amendment just happens to be a very liberal one. Ironic, I know. It hardly means its going to stay that way. Words matter and if future gun control is worded the right way, then it will pass the Supreme Court. Both sides know this, and that is why you see these squabbles get so dramatic. One side trusted the Supreme Court to take care of Obamacare for them and it blew up in their faces. I doubt they want to take that risk with an Obamagun.

However, again, their own behavior is making comprehensive gun control reform more and more likely. Whenever that tipping point is reached, the gun industry will find itself transformed from a private right, to a public menace. Once that occurs, the same laws that were passed to protect them from big tobacco's fate could easily be rescinded. If they would actually offer "meaningful contributions," or was it solutions, regarding gun control instead of giving us flashbacks to the 80's and PMRC? The ability of people like Feinstein to exclude them from the conversation would be greatly diminished. 2014 could be an even worse year for pro-gun than 2012 has been.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-12-29 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Shazaam!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea why you're addressing me with that post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hilarious

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I have no idea why you're addressing me with that post.
    Hehe... Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hilarious

WTF... where the hell did his optics go?