Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KURUFAL View Post
    You have the right to protect your person and your property. You will never know if that person has the competency to walk to to anybody and hold a conversation of any sort if they have homicidal tenancies. Nor do you know if that completely normal person is trying to make a quick buck by selling it to that homicidal person.

[i personally think this should be the debate of this thread, not whether guns should be in houses or not]

The problem is HOW, how do we control this? We can't just take away guns from the people, that will never happen or work. background checks on an 18 or 21 year old won't do any good. They are fresh into life and probably have no history.
    But we DO have the capacity to determine whether or not a person who has had a history of said psycho-social behaviors, and that should be enough evidence to keep them medicated and monitored.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    It's not that he would live with you, but he will be over there during the holidays, maybe the weekends. Do you not keep regular contact with your family?

If someone shows signs of anti-social, pyscho-social disorders, such as deaths threats, self mutilation, torture and killing of animals, verbal and physical abuse of peers, fixation on violence, blood, and death, extreme manipulative behaviors towards their peers and elders, then their human rights should be revoked.
    Just don't revoke their rights before the holidays. I think it's an absolute joy to have my anti-social, self-mutilating, kleptomaniac brother over for some delicious turkey and pumpkin pie...and to snoop around my house for any "assault weapons" he could use in some killing spree.

Admittedly, i've been an irresponsible hammer owner for quite some time as i just leave it hanging in my tool belt for all the world to see. Hopefully no savvy criminals out there know about this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    Until they have committed and been convicted of a crime? Yea. Unless they choose to seek help.

When we get to the point that we're convicting people of thought crime, well, I'll be finding somewhere to move.
    So you would ignore all previous history of death threats, maiming and killing of animals, manipulative behaviors towards peers and elders, fixation on death, blood, destruction, non-nonsensical rants and writings?

It is not thought crime, most of these mentally ill shooters keep some kind of information about their spiral into a plan of death and self-destruction. There is a trail that can be used as conclusive evidence to show that they are not fit to be in society.

10+ Year Old Account
    When we get to the point that we're convicting people of thought crime, well, I'll be finding somewhere to move.
    Barry, give the man his hat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    you are assuming said military would also be on board with a full scale martial law attack on u.s. citizens. Come on, have more faith in them than that. You have no obligation to exercise and unconstitutional order.

You are also assuming they would just risk leveling cities. It would be a ground war, gun to gun. But still, i have some faith the military would stand against them.
    A full scale martial law attack on U.S. citizens? That would absolutely not be how it goes, so don't attempt to glorify the situation. If such a thing were passed, than those who are in violation of the law would be dealt with like any other criminal. Once the law is breached, than police will go in; failing that, specialized police forces, or if there is a reasonable expectation that standard police forces will not be sufficient. It would go up on there based on individual cases. The only way there would be an all out ground war, the kind that those who have watched too many cheap action movies dream about, would be if said gun owners were to go on the aggressive, which would most definitely place the entirety of the army against them as they would be a direct threat to the people, the same people who decided via representative action that such a ban was necessary for public safety.

But really, you don't see how people talking about all out war and starting a massive bloodshed over the desire to keep a small subsection of legal firearms doesn't reaffirm the belief of many, many people that such people are near psychopaths? I personally do not think along those lines, as that really is ignoring quite a few important factors, but there are many who do.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2013-01-14 at 09:32 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime017 View Post
    I want them treated with respect and afforded the rights that we have established under our current laws to protect them in a way that allows for fair treatment with the chance of correcting the behavior. What would you do with them? You want to cast them out of society? How? You obviously hold them in contempt so I doubt you would afford them with much dignity.
    They will be treated with respect, but if there is enough evidence to suggest that they will harm someone or themselves, then they should be institutionalized.

10+ Year Old Account
    But we DO have the capacity to determine whether or not a person who has had a history of said psycho-social behaviors, and that should be enough evidence to keep them medicated and monitored.
    Thing is, Daelak, Sir. had the authorities in CT actually allowed the shooter's mother to have him committed, he wouldn't have been in a position to kill anyone, So, in truth, your quarrel is with them, not the guns. You might have the right goal in mind if you are getting the unstable people help, whoever, your method is going to face stiff opposition from both sides.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Thing is, Daelak, Sir. had the authorities in CT actually allowed the shooter's mother to have him committed, he wouldn't have been in a position to kill anyone, So, in truth, your quarrel is with them, not the guns. You might have the right goal in mind if you are getting the unstable people help, whoever, your method is going to face stiff opposition from both sides.
    I don't care about guns, nothing will come of gun control, it's a complete farce, there are too many guns in circulation, and gun owners really don't give a shit about safely securing their guns (other than vaee). I care about mentally ill people, with a fixation on death and notoriety acquiring any weapon and shooting up public and private places.

But this isn't about guilt, it's about having an unstable mind that COULD harm normal people.
    Well you could be any number of despicable things. Better throw away the 5th amendment and lock you up for the safety of the rest of society. Good thing our laws are based on dealing with what does happen instead of what could happen or you might be in some serious trouble.

What you are describing with the death threats and fixation on violence and destruction just described about 50% of the people I've come across on XBox Live. Clearly they're all sociopaths.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you would ignore all previous history of death threats, maiming and killing of animals,
    Death threats can be considered assault, which, last I checked, is a crime.

Maiming of killing of animals (Bob the dog, not Jane the doe) is also mostly illegal.

If you started locking up people for manipulation, there wouldn't be many bosses or politicians or police or other authority figures left. Hell, maybe you're on to something. I'm kidding of course- all you're onto is writing a new prologue for the next reprint of 1984.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime017 View Post
    Well you could be any number of despicable things. Better throw away the 5th amendment and lock you up for the safety of the rest of society. Good thing our laws are based on dealing with what does happen instead of what could happen or you might be in some serious trouble.

What you are describing with the death threats and fixation on violence and destruction just described about 50% of the people I've come across on XBox Live. Clearly they're all sociopaths.
    There are psychopaths in society. Most of them are males. All the mass killings that have occured all involved a killer with some form of mental disorder. Extreme depression, psychotic delusions, sociopathic tendencies which forced him to be homsechooled.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 09:48 PM ----------

Death threats can be considered assault, which, last I checked, is a crime.

Maiming of killing of animals (Bob the dog, not Jane the doe) is also mostly illegal.

If you started locking up people for manipulation, there wouldn't be many bosses or politicians or police or other authority figures left. Hell, maybe you're on to something. I'm kidding of course- all you're onto is writing a new prologue for the next reprint of 1984.
    Psychotics can be caught by following the DSM and giving states more resources and authority on what they can do with mentally unfit persons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about guns, nothing will come of gun control, it's a complete farce, there are too many guns in circulation, and gun owners really don't give a shit about safely securing their guns (other than vaee). I care about mentally ill people, with a fixation on death and notoriety acquiring any weapon and shooting up public and private places.
    You see, thats dishonest, I know plenty of folks that have their guns locked up. You might even know a few from this very thread that have more than 2 dozen in a safe. But you'd never know that unless they told you. Assuming all or most gun owners are irresponsible is dishonest on its face. That would be like saying you personally dont give a shit about other people's rights as long as you personally feel safe. It wouldn't be fair to lay that on you, now would it?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    You see, thats dishonest, I know plenty of folks that have their guns locked up. You might even know a few from this very thread that have more than 2 dozen in a safe. But you'd never know that unless they told you. Assuming all or most gun owners are irresponsible is dishonest on its face. That would be like saying you personally dont give a shit about other people's rights as long as you personally feel safe. It wouldn't be fair to lay that on you, now would it?
    500,000 guns stolen from registered owners is not an anomaly. That is just plain ridiculous. You gotta concede that there has to be something with that.

There are psychopaths in society. Most of them are males. All the mass killings that have occured all involved a killer with some form of mental disorder. Extreme depression, psychotic delusions, sociopathic tendencies which forced him to be homsechooled.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 09:48 PM ----------

Psychotics can be caught by following the DSM and giving states more resources and authority on what they can do with mentally unfit persons.
    i think more importantly than the mental disorders, all of them were on some form of drug to treat them. Usually Paxil, Ridalin, and Zoloft...

You know, the drugs pumped into kids when they actually think for themselves and "cannot be controlled" by the teacher.

www.ssristories.com

10+ Year Old Account
    500,000 guns stolen from registered owners is not an anomaly. That is just plain ridiculous. You gotta concede that there has to be something with that.
    Yea. I'd say that we need to do something about the millions of break-ins that must be happening for that to be true.

We could mandate gun safes. That would keep the guns safe. Maybe we should do something to keep the homes safe, though.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    i think more importantly than the mental disorders, all of them were on some form of drug to treat them. Usually Paxil, Ridalin, and Zoloft...

You know, the drugs pumped into kids when they actually think for themselves and "cannot be controlled" by the teacher.

www.ssristories.com
    People with neurological and developmental problems go on medications for it? I had no idea. Also, that's not what antidepressants are used for; ritalin gets a bad name because the media (not the medical community) ran off with it and started a massive wave of misdiagnoses, and even if there are probably only one in 20 people diagnosed with ADHD who actually have it, it is an actual physiologically verifiable condition.

Is this assault weapon too dangerous for a simple little serf like me to own?

Yea. I'd say that we need to do something about the millions of break-ins that must be happening for that to be true.

We could mandate gun safes. That would keep the guns safe. Maybe we should do something to keep the homes safe, though.
    In addition, to add context, 500k guns stolen per year is 0.167% of all guns (300m) in circulation in the US.

Maybe we should also consider NOT posting the home addresses of legal firearm permit holders.

15+ Year Old Account
    love to see your source on that since http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=4534 implies otherwise.

for the lazy who don't like clicking links

Lynn Langton

November 8, 2012 NCJ 239436

Presents findings on the theft of firearms during household burglaries and other property crimes from 2005 through 2010. The report examines the number of property crime victimizations involving the theft of one or more firearms, the number of firearms stolen each year, and the characteristics of property crimes involving stolen firearms. It presents data by the amount of loss, the percentage reported to police, the percentage of items recovered, and the characteristics of households experiencing the theft. The report also presents trends from 1994 through 2010 on the number of victimizations involving firearm theft. Data are from the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), which collects information on nonfatal crimes, reported and not reported to the police, against persons age 12 or older from a nationally representative sample of U.S. households.

Highlights:

About 1.4 million guns, or an annual average of 232,400, were stolen during burglaries and other property crimes in the six-year period from 2005 through 2010.
    On average, firearms were stolen in an annual average of about 4% of the 2.4 million burglaries occurring each year, in 2% of the 529,200 robberies, and in less than 1% of the 13.6 million other crimes involving theft from 2005 through 2010.
    From 2005 through 2010, 86% of burglaries and 75% of other property crimes involving a stolen firearm were reported to police.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Proposed Assault Gun Ban.

What we need in America is the Federal Assault Weapons Ban again. Yep the one Clinton enacted in 1994.
    This banned all guns that had the following:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
    Pistol grip
    Bayonet mount
    Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
    Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
    Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
    Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
    Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
    A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
    Pistol grip
    Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
    Detachable magazine.
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...lt_Weapons_Ban

This never effected the 2nd Amendment for guns that were used for hunting and hunters. Handguns can still be used for protection. They won't take away all of your guns just the ones absolutely not needed. Who needs that 90-100 round magazine for a gun for hunting? You don't even need it for sport shooting. After the first couple of shots in full auto you won't be on target anyway. http://www.gunclips.net/ar1590rdgunmag.html Who needs one? With it that readily available how is that stopping some nut from buying one?

Now there is talk of impeachment from Texas Republican Steve Stockman if President Obama uses an executive order for some gun control. Yet we didn't do the same to George W. Bush when he declared war without congressional backing and a congressional vote. But if Obama makes any slight mistake or makes a judgement call everyone wants to impeach him. http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/14/go...r-gun-control/

Edit: FYI I have guns just not the ones that need to be banned.