View Poll Results: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

Voters
3399. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2,098 61.72%
  • No

    1,301 38.28%
  1. #10761
    Scarab Lord Zhangfei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cola, SC via Devon
    Posts
    4,357
    The Bill of Rights applied to the colonies, Locked Out. The right to bear arms was just rewritten for the American Bill of Rights - the majority of them were, often with some mild expansions.

    All the arguments for why it exists are almost literally explicitly written out in the text of the Bill of Rights.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

  2. #10762
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Louisiana doesn't border Mexico and you've provided no data to back up the idea that our gun violence is propped up by Mexicans.

    Localized gun control is not very effective. See: Chicago. And that's still irrelevant, point stands. Louisiana is awash in guns and very dangerous.

    I never said this.
    First off, yes you did, you said we're "awash" with guns.

    Second, the "demographics", man.

    Data? I don't see you ever providing data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I think I would save michal jordan's life. That guy was just such a great singer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't pay for food for anyone I'm not sleeping with and you shouldn't either.

  3. #10763
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    There's really no correlation between the amount of guns and overall crime.
    Should probably go back and read the rest of that conversation, because I never said there was.

    What the presence of guns does seem to do though is make crime much more lethal.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 02:01 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarus View Post
    First off, yes you did, you said we're "awash" with guns.

    Second, the "demographics", man.

    Data? I don't see you ever providing data.
    Awash doesn't mean everyone has a gun.

    I don't really see how blaming the crime in the area on the fact that there is a lot of black people is anything other than racism.

    Don't divert, if you make a claim back it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  4. #10764
    Scarab Lord GreatOak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    4,847
    I wonder why Obama doesn't even understand why these things are going on in parts of our city.

    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 400BC.

  5. #10765
    Herald of the Titans Yilar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    I wonder why Obama doesn't even understand why these things are going on in parts of our city.
    I think he knows about the things described in the video, but fact is that he can't really do anything as long as a large group americans still vote for the republican party.

  6. #10766
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    I think he knows about the things described in the video, but fact is that he can't really do anything as long as a large group americans still vote for the republican party.
    And this friends is why Euros needs to stay the fuck out of American politics!
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

  7. #10767
    Scarab Lord GreatOak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Chicago, USA
    Posts
    4,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Todgruppe View Post
    And this friends is why Euros needs to stay the fuck out of American politics!
    I don't agree with the opinion, but why? Is someone inherently precluded from being knowledgable about American politics by virtue of being Danish/European?
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 400BC.

  8. #10768
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    I don't agree with the opinion, but why? Is someone inherently precluded from being knowledgable about American politics by virtue of being Danish/European?
    Politics? No, they wouldn't know the entirety of "culture" and what is/not normal. Many Americans would probably agree with the sentiment, but many would also agree the opposite. While he implies, other party as gun toting, uneducated, rednecks. Veiled insults, all over this thread.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

  9. #10769
    Scarab Lord Skroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,822
    Reeva Steenkamp... another victim of private gun ownership and a domestic dispute. And this time from Oscar Pistorius.

    Guns don't protect. Guns make killing easy. Which is why Reeva Steenkamp was shot four times in head and once in the chest.

    A gun in the hands of even an Olympic Hero, turned him into a barbaric woman-killer.

    It's seriously time to begin the long path to a future where we confiscate all these things and melt them down.

  10. #10770
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    I hear anecdotal evidence is reliable.

  11. #10771
    Scarab Lord Skroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    I hear anecdotal evidence is reliable.
    Whatever it takes to take guns out of everyone's hands.

    Or let me put it another way. Gun owners have one more thing in common with Al Qaeda, Hamas and Hezbollah than non-gun owners. Their love of the gun. And I think it's a pretty big thing.

    Infracted.
    Last edited by Majad; 2013-02-15 at 03:38 PM.

  12. #10772
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Whatever it takes to take guns out of everyone's hands.

    Or let me put it another way. Gun owners have one more thing in common with Al Qaeda, Hamas and Hezbollah than non-gun owners. Their love of the gun. And I think it's a pretty big thing.
    Al Qaida and other terrorists have something in common with people who get their panties in a twist over gun ownership: They're cowards.

  13. #10773
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Whatever it takes to take guns out of everyone's hands.

    Or let me put it another way. Gun owners have one more thing in common with Al Qaeda, Hamas and Hezbollah than non-gun owners. Their love of the gun. And I think it's a pretty big thing.
    Legal gun owners compared to a terrorist organization...that's pretty sound logic.

  14. #10774
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Whatever it takes to take guns out of everyone's hands.

    Or let me put it another way. Gun owners have one more thing in common with Al Qaeda, Hamas and Hezbollah than non-gun owners. Their love of the gun. And I think it's a pretty big thing.
    Logical fallacies only undermine your position. Nobody takes your argument seriously when you can't commit to some amount of intellectual honesty. Hell, you're starting to mimic the GOP.

  15. #10775
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,017
    Stats are hard to look at. It's common to see people comparing urban areas to rural areas and pick their stats to claim that a heavily regulated city has more crime. On the flip side it's quite easy to do the opposite. Without something universal in effect you aren't really going to accomplish anything on scale anyway. If you have tough regulations in one state and it's neighboring state has little, well you aren't going to fix much. Chicago has high gun violence and high regulation, it also borders states with far laxer gun regulation. So what gives?

    I don't think an assault weapon ban is going to do a whole lot anyways. It's really sad what happened in these last few mass shootings but overall, the majority of gun related violence and deaths aren't committed with assault weapons to begin with. To really dent a problem like you're having you would need to do something about handguns, which isn't going to happen anytime soon. Is it logical to have some of these 'assault weapons'? Not to me, but like I said I don't think banning them is going to solve anything. In my mind a shot gun or your standard bolt/lever action rifle is all a sensible person would need for any practical purpose.

    A major problem is how accessible they are and how unaccountable people are for these weapons. If you want these weapons I think you should be held very accountable for where they go and whose hands they end up in. This would might make people much more reluctant to turn around and make a profit off a weapon they know might turn up in bad hands (as it would be traced back to them as the original owner) and make people much more responsible for safekeeping of a weapon. Weapons get stolen and I totally get that but it would take quite sometime alone with the proper tools to get at the weapons we have at home.

    We have handgun bans in Canada and our violent crime/deaths with firearms per capita is fairly low. Not as low as a place like Australia, but unfortunately they don't have neighbors accessible by land on the largest undefended border in the world with very relaxed gun laws as neighbors. It's pretty humorous how many ceased handguns committed in crimes here are traced back to the U.S. But hey, with a markup of 9-10x the base price of what an American smuggler would pay for a typical handgun in the U.S, the risk is often worth the reward

  16. #10776
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Logical fallacies only undermine your position. Nobody takes your argument seriously when you can't commit to some amount of intellectual honesty. Hell, you're starting to mimic the GOP.
    Or Fused, whatever happened to her anyways, finally banned for enough veiled insults?
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

  17. #10777
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Logical fallacies only undermine your position. Nobody takes your argument seriously when you can't commit to some amount of intellectual honesty. Hell, you're starting to mimic the GOP.
    He is actually saying that he doesn't mind using fallacies or half-truths as long as it helps taking guns out of everyone's hands.

  18. #10778
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    He is actually saying that he doesn't mind using fallacies or half-truths as long as it helps taking guns out of everyone's hands.
    Yeah, suppose we don't have to worry about his position picking up traction then. People don't like fringe groups with extreme positions and poorly formed arguments.

  19. #10779
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    I wonder why Obama doesn't even understand why these things are going on in parts of our city.
    *snip*
    It's refreshing to hear people who understand the real issue isn't the guns, but the people who fire them and the reasons why. Hopefully this thinking makes it way to Washington, because they just don't get it.

  20. #10780
    Brewmaster Gemini Sunrise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Westfield, IN
    Posts
    1,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    He is actually saying that he doesn't mind using fallacies or half-truths as long as it helps taking guns out of everyone's hands.
    Hopefully he realizes after a while that he has no more say in the issue than any of us here in the states. I seriously doubt anyone has changed their stance since reading this thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •