Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

10+ Year Old Account
    Also this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyXcY7NJHFg

---------- Post added 2013-03-24 at 10:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    A lot depends on how you interpret common use. For instance you could ban specific guns under one interpretation of Heller, so long as you didn't stop people from getting any gun to perform a legal activity with.
    True enough, but ultimately the court could interpret nearly anything the way they want. I'm just saying that the more "accepted" belief of the common use standard is the one described in the piece I linked. The common use standard can be twisted to support a ban, just as the commerce clause was interpreted in an unconventional way to support the healthcare mandate in my opinion.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, did the entirety of people miss or ignore the video someone linked of a guy who did the study of comparison of UK's vs USA murder rates, and the gun laws at the time?

1900: ~.7 murders per 100k (UK, use ~ because it's either that or .8 forgot which.), ~8 per 100k USA.

Formation of gun laws start about this time in both USA and UK.

Now: ~1.2 per 100k UK, 3.9 per 100k US?

All anyone saw is UK < USA? The guy in video points it out, clearly more then herpadep ban guns, less crime, profit.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

I don't watch the youtube videos people post on here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, okay then

I love videos, even if they're ones I don't agree with. I've watched every single one Fused linked ITT
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Um, okay then

I love videos, even if they're ones I don't agree with. I've watched every single one Fused linked ITT
    Frankly 99% of the time they're just another forum post except its a guy talking to a camera and making me spend a lot more time listening rather just writing their own post that I can read quickly.

That one actually is worthwhile, but I wish it came in just a clean graphical form. Youtube just chews up too much time for too much useless crap. The same thing could be explained with two graphs and a single paragraph of writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That one actually is worthwhile, but I wish it came in just a clean graphical form. Youtube just chews up too much time for too much useless crap. The same thing could be explained with two graphs and a single paragraph of writing.
    Frankly if the point is worth making I expect people to make it themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly 99% of the time they're just another forum post except its a guy talking to a camera and making me spend a lot more time listening rather just writing their own post that I can read quickly.
    You should watch them. The guy's channel is called Admist the Noise. Not just saying that because he argues my point, but the guy's arguments are based on numbers and imperical data that people can't ignore.

And Ben Swann (an idependant journalist from OH) determined that if you break down the UK violent crime rates, it still turns out to over 700 per 100k in the UK. So the rate is still higher.

---------- Post added 2013-03-24 at 06:08 PM ----------

The point he made is what I linked from pastebin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Just quoting this because I laughed. I was spot on with your response. No substance, I'm sure you feel happy about that. Thanks!
    To be fair, the argument he was making wasn't ad hominem since he wasn't attacking his opponent's character.

I think the problem with the argument that we shouldn't pass this law because criminals don't follow them is that the point isn't explicitly stated, so the assumed meaning is that laws are pointless. The actual argument is that we shouldn't pass laws that inconvenience law abiding citizens while having a negligible effect on crime. That would be a more compelling argument.

Deadvolcanoes's argument regarding background checks had a similar issue; it was assumed that he meant that background checks prevent criminals from getting guns period, but the intended point was that they prevent criminals from getting guns when background checks are used during the criminals attempt at purchasing a gun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Todgruppe View Post
    So, did the entirety of people miss or ignore the video someone linked of a guy who did the study of comparison of UK's vs USA murder rates, and the gun laws at the time?

1900: ~.7 murders per 100k (UK, use ~ because it's either that or .8 forgot which.), ~8 per 100k USA.

Formation of gun laws start about this time in both USA and UK.

Now: ~1.2 per 100k UK, 3.9 per 100k US?

All anyone saw is UK < USA? The guy in video points it out, clearly more then herpadep ban guns, less crime, profit.
    The numbers are close:
    http://www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Cr...dsInOneVar.cfm (US Department of Justice link)

But he doesn't take in to account that the murder rate in this country has been going down for over 30 years now.

---------- Post added 2013-03-24 at 11:41 PM ----------

To be fair, you post a fair amount yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    To be fair, you post a fair amount yourself.
    There's a difference between posting a youtube video as an example to back up one's post and posting a youtube video as essentially a "this" post.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus christ this thread is still going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Not comparing it to murder laws, although I can see where you'd make that mistake.

No, it's pointing out the glaring fallacy of saying "We shouldn't make laws because people will break them anyway." Your argument is a straw man, a distraction from the real point of the argument being made. Nobody is disagreeing with you, but you seem to think that because gun bans and murder laws are in some ways different that somehow patches up the glaring holes in the "We shouldn't make laws because people will break them anyway," argument. It doesn't.

Also, I'm not sure there's been much talk of gun bans other than from you for the last several pages. You seem oddly stuck on it. Right now the primary discussion is about background checks.
    You are very literally comparing someones comment about the AWB to murder laws. Ironic because THAT is a straw man. Murder laws have nothing to do with banning guns.

I didn't bring up the AWB again. Don't lie, and if you are unsure, check instead of spreading slander.
    Last edited by Self Inflicted Wounds; 2013-03-25 at 07:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Jesus christ this thread is still going on.
    that would be because this is the gun control thread. its one of the hot button issues of current politics
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    To be fair, he does use graphs, but has a lot of useless commentary. Don't know if everyone can extrapolate the relevant information though so, /shrug.

Don't know if he made those graphs or found them.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

I got my 1st rifle last week, that gun store was packed with people. The 1st help wanted sign I've seen in a long time.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeydown View Post
    I got my 1st rifle last week, that gun store was packed with people. The 1st help wanted sign I've seen in a long time.
    /puttingontinfoilhat

In before, "anti-gun" people are actually on the board of Magpull/Beretta/Barrett/Armalite/etc, in Congress.

/hatoff

10+ Year Old Account
    I do recall the joke: gun control, the most effective stimulus effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    That still doesn't make "Criminals won't follow laws so why make them" a sound argument. Doesn't mean a gun ban is necessarily a good idea, but we need some better gun control laws right now.
    Additional gun-control laws are redundancy's on existing laws. Some of those existing laws, such as lying on your gun-permit application, are widely acknowledged to not be enforced. (One police chief referred to it as a "paper work" law that wasn't worth the time.) And virtually all of the existing gun laws are ignored by criminals who want to get a gun. So, then, why would doubling up on the laws change that? It hasn't for any other crimes.

Look back at every mass-shooting we've had in the last, say, twenty years. Every single shooter violated multiple laws BEFORE they even pulled the trigger. In almost every case these "new" laws would NOT have stopped them. In at least one case the shooter used a "straw buyer" who lied on an application, breaking that law police don't like to enforce.

Remember what I've said.

These aren't new laws. They're redundant, reworded, and enhanced copies of existing laws. And even Biden has admitted, they won't stop another Sandy Hook. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=covBtaBoR1g)

Meanwhile the one constant in all these shootings, the one thing that could be pointed to as the cause, the failing mental health of the shooters, is being ignored.
    Last edited by Twotonsteak; 2013-03-25 at 02:40 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    I do recall the joke: gun control, the most effective stimulus effort.
    Yeah, banning things rarely works out very well. Portugal had drug problems, legalized everything, not so much anymore. Not saying that is best way to go with guns, but sometimes the appeal of things is that they are illegal, legalizing takes out the stigma, and makes them "boring".

Our "Prohibition" and "War on Drugs", are also two glaring examples.