Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    All be forgotten within a week, and the war machine keeps turning.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

This would be like telling someone who is depressed that kids in Africa are suffering more than they are. It doesn't make their suffering any less valid just because other people are suffering more.

Problems at home get more attention than problems abroad because they are just that: problems at home. Are you mad that China isn't outraged that this shooting happened? They as a nation don't care just as we as a nation do not care that their children are getting knifed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Closer to home, is the main reason I can think of. That and it's publicized more widely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    So a school gets shot up in America and the sky is falling. Everyone is outraged... "how could someone do this to kids". The president is crying, etc...

But what about all the kids that get drone striked in Pakistan, Libya, Yemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan... Where is the outrage for them?
    Wheres the outrage for people starving to death in Africa?
    Wheres the outrage over the factors which lead to mass shootings, like economies that seem to never get better, where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, where the people we elect to solve our problems take money from the problem creators and bail them out.

Why is western society so outraged over this shooting, but barely anyone cares about the rest of the world?

Don't turn this into a left vs. right or pro gun vs. anti gun please. I just want to know why we've become so desensitized when it comes to issues abroad, but when its at home we act so noble and angered.

This is the exact point I made all over Facebook.. After seeing all those pictures n "out-crys" It angered me.. How can one who says they're enlightened, or "better" than the rest, only give a damn when it's in your backyard? Killing goes on, everyday, all day, everywhere.. It's wrong to kill a bunch of kids, it's wrong to kill a bunch of adults.. The point is, EVERY life that gets snuffed out, you people need to mourn n cry for.. Doesn't matter if it's one 9 year old girl, of a bus full of the elderly, or a box fulla puppies.. Life, and ALL LIFE, needs to be treated as such.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally if I saw it I'd cry no matter what or at least be somewhat traumatized. We shouldn't try and demean those that feel horrible about these events. I still feel the same about any event, while I may prefer Americans I'd still feel upset about any child even if the child had blue skin or whatevs.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Because people in general don't care about what doesn't affect them.

Children dieing in Africa don't affect you unless you're in Africa. Someone going on a murder spree in USA or Norway or somewhere affects you since that country starts to rethink positions on some things, and neighbours or friendly countries take the model and change their view too.

Yes, people are like that, short-sighted and caring only about what affects them mostly.

Plus, it's also the fault of the media. They don't bring you stories from the drone strikes in Pakistan or the prison camps in North Korea, and rarely do you see children starving in Africa, what they give you is people dieing in your country of friendly nations.

Cant cry for everyone that suffers. If something terrible happens close to home, its harder to ignore and be indifferent.

Do we have to bring this up every time something bad happens?

Don't turn this into a left vs. right or pro gun vs. anti gun please.
    Oh sure I bet that won't happen. This thread will turn out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    This is the exact point I made all over Facebook.. After seeing all those pictures n "out-crys" It angered me.. How can one who says they're enlightened, or "better" than the rest, only give a damn when it's in your backyard? Killing goes on, everyday, all day, everywhere.. It's wrong to kill a bunch of kids, it's wrong to kill a bunch of adults.. The point is, EVERY life that gets snuffed out, you people need to mourn n cry for.. Doesn't matter if it's one 9 year old girl, of a bus full of the elderly, or a box fulla puppies.. Life, and ALL LIFE, needs to be treated as such.
    Spare us the sanctimony. All of those things are tragic, but if you really care then do something besides telling your facebook friends it matters to you. Get involved at a deeper level; don't chastise everyone else for being hypocrites while sitting on a video game forum on a weekend. Don't use phrases like "you people need to mourn and cry" if you're not bawling your eyes out yourself. People who are close to the tragedy have every right to mourn without you telling them it's not enough.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-12-17 at 01:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its well documented, its not just the media that reports on collateral damage...

So basically the answer is; They're in another country and we are superior because we're America. Humanity is fucked.
    No, just America. That "We are superior so HA!" attitude will come to haunt your country (if it isn't alrdy).

Anyway it's the media. You can bet that the media (and people) in those bombed countries cry for their losses since it's closer to themselves. Don't think many of them will shed a tear when they hear the news about the shooting in that school. On the other hand, such horrors don't exactly happen every day in the US do they? The bombings happen on a daily basis in 'those' countries. So a thing tends to become 'normal' instead of shocking if it's business as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    No, just America. That "We are superior so HA!" attitude will come to haunt your country (if it isn't alrdy).
    This attitude is actually shown off by Europeans far more than Americans, at least on this site. Most nation threads are made by Europeans and they ultimately come down to "why aren't you like us?". You search for things to criticize, and ultimately the arrogance is displayed by you, not us.

That's not to say there aren't good European posters or that I hate Europeans. It's simply far easier to find a European hating on the US here than it is for an American to be going on about how "superior" we are. Many people that come in saying things like that are trolls or people who post so infrequently that it barely even matters because they'll drop their opinion and be gone.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-12-17 at 01:07 AM.

So a school gets shot up in America and the sky is falling. Everyone is outraged... "how could someone do this to kids". The president is crying, etc...

But what about all the kids that get drone striked in Pakistan, Libya, Yemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan... Where is the outrage for them?
    Wheres the outrage over the factors which lead to mass shootings, like economies that seem to never get better, where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, where the people we elect to solve our problems take money from the problem creators and bail them out.

Why is western society so outraged over this shooting, but barely anyone cares about the rest of the world?

Don't turn this into a left vs. right or pro gun vs. anti gun please. I just want to know why we've become so desensitized when it comes to issues abroad, but when its at home we act so noble and angered.

How about go fuck yourself..

But how can a president cry for kids dying in his own country but he doesn't cry when he orders the death of kids in another country... just because they're collateral damage? Thats insanity.
    You're right. The notion of empathy is insane... Oh wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    simple here wen the vids of the choper killing 4 child going to school whit they dad and the soldier having fun killing them on the radio it barely made it on the random show that nobody watch

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    You're right. The notion of empathy is insane... Oh wait.
    Empathetic double standards?

Also, what's more horrifying is the use of double striking wherein an area is bombed once, then bombed again shortly after, killing or injuring people who are attempting to help those who were injured by the first strike. People think it's justified because they label anybody assisting terrorists as sympathizers, yet we give medical attention to captured enemy soldiers because they are still human beings, which is what the people who go to help those who have been hit by a drone strike see them as.

Deleted
    I do hate the hypocrisy and double standards.. it's a tragedy when American children or adult bystanders die and it's the same with it happens in Iraq, Pakistan or any other place but what do starving Africans have to do with any of this? Both are sad of course but completely unrelated.

But how can a president cry for kids dying in his own country but he doesn't cry when he orders the death of kids in another country... just because they're collateral damage? Thats insanity.
    Because it's an act done to fuel his political career. If Romney was President now he would be doing the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Because it's an act done to fuel his political career. If Romney was President now he would be doing the same thing.
    Romney still wouldnt be president for another few weeks.

10+ Year Old Account

Why you ask... its because in the last 40 or so years Western Civ has forgotten what they were built upon and instead now they dont think of others they think of themselves... the death of personal responsibility and an effective abolition of ethics and honorable behavior has started us on the path to our own destruction.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 11:40 PM ----------

Truth? because he's NOT crying for the deaths of those children... not overseas, not here. It's an act.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 11:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Is it well documented? How can I trust these documents? Do they have pictures to support it?

You see, with the Connecticut shooting there is footage and there are pictures where I can see these children (and adults) were gunned down. That's sad. People are being interviewed, shops are closing down, people are crying... Like, I can empathize with what's going on because I can see it happening on camera.

If I saw a kid getting blown up by a US drone, I would be mortified. So would any other American. We would be PISSED and would hold accountable whoever was responsible.
    Sadly, there ARE some that are incapable of tears. If you expose someone to enough horror and pain, the tears DO eventually stop.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 11:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Do we have to bring this up every time something bad happens?

Oh sure I bet that won't happen. This thread will turn out great!
    So far I've managed successfully to avoid the temptation

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

People ARE outraged over the situations that led to the shooting, hence the feverish debate about mental health treatment, gun control, etc. You can't really point to a shitty economy as the reason behind this shooting, the family this deranged kid came from was extremely well off (I read his mom was getting ~600k in alimony annually) so financial situation had nothing to do with it.

As for why we have a double standard, it's been pretty well answered so I wont say much. Media coverage, shock of violence in a "peaceful" area, and feeling of connection with fellow American citizens being the chief factors in my eyes.