Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I do hate the hypocrisy and double standards.. it's a tragedy when American children or adult bystanders die and it's the same with it happens in Iraq, Pakistan or any other place but what do starving Africans have to do with any of this? Both are sad of course but completely unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    But how can a president cry for kids dying in his own country but he doesn't cry when he orders the death of kids in another country... just because they're collateral damage? Thats insanity.
    Because it's an act done to fuel his political career. If Romney was President now he would be doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Because it's an act done to fuel his political career. If Romney was President now he would be doing the same thing.
    Romney still wouldnt be president for another few weeks.

So a school gets shot up in America and the sky is falling. Everyone is outraged... "how could someone do this to kids". The president is crying, etc...

But what about all the kids that get drone striked in Pakistan, Libya, Yemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan... Where is the outrage for them?
    Wheres the outrage for people starving to death in Africa?
    Wheres the outrage over the factors which lead to mass shootings, like economies that seem to never get better, where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, where the people we elect to solve our problems take money from the problem creators and bail them out.

Why is western society so outraged over this shooting, but barely anyone cares about the rest of the world?

Don't turn this into a left vs. right or pro gun vs. anti gun please. I just want to know why we've become so desensitized when it comes to issues abroad, but when its at home we act so noble and angered.

Why you ask... its because in the last 40 or so years Western Civ has forgotten what they were built upon and instead now they dont think of others they think of themselves... the death of personal responsibility and an effective abolition of ethics and honorable behavior has started us on the path to our own destruction.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 11:40 PM ----------

But how can a president cry for kids dying in his own country but he doesn't cry when he orders the death of kids in another country... just because they're collateral damage? Thats insanity.
    Truth? because he's NOT crying for the deaths of those children... not overseas, not here. It's an act.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 11:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Is it well documented? How can I trust these documents? Do they have pictures to support it?

You see, with the Connecticut shooting there is footage and there are pictures where I can see these children (and adults) were gunned down. That's sad. People are being interviewed, shops are closing down, people are crying... Like, I can empathize with what's going on because I can see it happening on camera.

If I saw a kid getting blown up by a US drone, I would be mortified. So would any other American. We would be PISSED and would hold accountable whoever was responsible.
    Sadly, there ARE some that are incapable of tears. If you expose someone to enough horror and pain, the tears DO eventually stop.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 11:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Do we have to bring this up every time something bad happens?

Oh sure I bet that won't happen. This thread will turn out great!
    So far I've managed successfully to avoid the temptation

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

Wheres the outrage over the factors which lead to mass shootings, like economies that seem to never get better, where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, where the people we elect to solve our problems take money from the problem creators and bail them out.
    People ARE outraged over the situations that led to the shooting, hence the feverish debate about mental health treatment, gun control, etc. You can't really point to a shitty economy as the reason behind this shooting, the family this deranged kid came from was extremely well off (I read his mom was getting ~600k in alimony annually) so financial situation had nothing to do with it.

As for why we have a double standard, it's been pretty well answered so I wont say much. Media coverage, shock of violence in a "peaceful" area, and feeling of connection with fellow American citizens being the chief factors in my eyes.

Honestly we don't hear about it. It's not that we don't care about children dying in other countries, it's that we don't hear about it. The only "news" we hear about those countries is about how riots, guns blazing, hysteria, violence, murder, car bombs, and rape occur because one of our crazy preachers decides to burn a holy book. Really our media portray the nastiest possible views of those countries. Don't blame the people, blame the environment.

It's just a sad, sad fact of life that, occasionally, the citizens of countries under strife are expected to be "collateral damage" - which is a term I hate, as though they're some smashed windows or a torched car.

In America and other western countries like southern Ireland or Norway, you're supposed to be snug as a bug in a rug, so it's a shock when an enemy from within comes and pulls that rug out from under you.
    This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us.

I forgot that America was directly responsible for the starvation in Africa.