1. #1

    Remove tarnish from a sword?

    Just got a Katana and motor oil doesnt seem to do the trick.

    Do any weapon owners out there know the best way to make it look new again without harming the blade?

  2. #2
    Banned This name sucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A basement in Canada
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Babzu View Post
    Just got a Katana and motor oil doesnt seem to do the trick.

    Do any weapon owners out there know the best way to make it look new again without harming the blade?
    What metal/alloy is the sword made from.

  3. #3
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    10,961
    What kind of metal is it?
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxArleeSimcaElysiaZaelsino

  4. #4
    I use the blood of my enemies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  5. #5
    if you dont want to go out and get a polishing compound, toothpaste works well

  6. #6
    Before I can give you an answer I must ask you a question. Is the sword your standard "mall sword" that is made from something like 440 stainless with a fake temper line imported from china or is it a genuine hand forged blade with real temper line? I currently work for one of the top Japanese sword collectors in the US and deal with antique swords dating back to the 1400s regularly. Using the wrong compound, paste, powder, or even cleaning cloth, brush, etc will destroy the value of a real hand forged sword.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by veighnerg View Post
    Before I can give you an answer I must ask you a question. Is the sword your standard "mall sword" that is made from something like 440 stainless with a fake temper line imported from china or is it a genuine hand forged blade with real temper line? I currently work for one of the top Japanese sword collectors in the US and deal with antique swords dating back to the 1400s regularly. Using the wrong compound, paste, powder, or even cleaning cloth, brush, etc will destroy the value of a real hand forged sword.
    Cheap mall sword.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Babzu View Post
    Cheap mall sword.
    In that case a washcloth or one of those green plastic/felt type scrubbing pads and some silver polish should work just fine. If you do not happen to have silver polish then take some of the gel type hand sanitizer and put it on the areas you want to clean while leaving it to sit for just a few minutes. Once it has sat there for a bit you can use the washcloth/pad to do a circular motion over the area which should take care of it. Using a decent razor blade held at about a 30 degree angle (again with the polish or sanitizer on the areas) to get off any of the tough stuff as well. Even on mall swords though do not use something like steel wool as the effects will not be reversible.

  9. #9
    You just got it and it's rusting? Take it back.

  10. #10
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,046
    In a couple of months I would love to try and find a sword, I sort of want something that is harder to find and collectors usually like to disrespect. I want a good quality shinshinto blade, preferably in Imperial Japanese Navy or Army fittings. I have an expert friend who finds my idea silly.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    In a couple of months I would love to try and find a sword, I sort of want something that is harder to find and collectors usually like to disrespect. I want a good quality shinshinto blade, preferably in Imperial Japanese Navy or Army fittings. I have an expert friend who finds my idea silly.
    Just beware that the blade you are buying isn't a Chinese knock off as they are getting quite good at faking blades and mounts. If you are interested in blades that are 100% real you could check out http://shogunorientalarts.com/japanese-swords-c-40.html. I take most of the photos for that site as well as admin it but it is still a work in progress so the website may act funny at times. Though I would not suggest buying a REAL quality sword without first thoroughly educating yourself about Japanese blades. If you are looking for any information about real blades in general you can check out Richard Stein's website http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/nihonto.htm.

  12. #12
    Id try ketchup or that crap they use to polish silver (cant think of it).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •