Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be fine seeing Blizz back-remove requirements. So in T15 the requirement for T14 valor gear is removed.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Actually they've begun that process already. Scenarios and dungeons will begin offering "bonus" reputation. It's just a matter of time at this point. They will implement some kind of system that will be horribly flawed, limited restricted and people will give them feedback about it. The system will of course get further iterations until we get something that is more or less like a tabard.
    This is all pure speculation at this point. Patch is not even on the PTR yet, so unless you're psychic, I would refrain from any such predictions yet.
    Also, during an expansions, some stuff is bound to become easier to offer at least some catching-up mechanics (cf. 4.3 5-mans, even though they probably won't go this far in MOP).

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 11:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    I'd be fine seeing Blizz back-remove requirements. So in T15 the requirement for T14 valor gear is removed.
    Possibly. I'm not even sure there will be T15 valor gear, by the way, perhaps all VPs will just go to upgrades from 5.2 onwards.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Pointless. In fact if they do that it may as well be sold for jp as well. People want reward and progression and they don't want it to be a wall in their face all the time. Look even if you remove the rep requirement from valor gear tmmrw guess what? Grinding out the valor to actually buy the gear is still painful and slow as hell anyway. It doesn't need to be double gated unless your telling me nobody will touch daily quests without it. I agree but that's a function of how shitty daily quests are.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    This is all pure speculation at this point. Patch is not even on the PTR yet, so unless you're psychic, I would refrain from any such predictions yet.
    Also, during an expansions, some stuff is bound to become easier to offer at least some catching-up mechanics (cf. 4.3 5-mans, even though they probably won't go this far in MOP).[COLOR="red"]

Which part is speculation? The part where they say they will implement a bonus rep feature? No that's a blue post. The part where I say they will iterate the system because it will be extremely limited and restricted? Well your half correct. The word bonus suggests that you'll still get the majority of your rep from dailies. However the "bonus" will be used so much I feel that eventually Blizzard will iterate around that and just make it the natural way you get rep. The system will still favor dailies at first, I'm positive about that. They haven't quite got it through their thick fucking skulls that rep grinding is gay when you tie it to some out of the way activity that nobody likes. The game is a giant skinner box. Eventually the mice either give up or turn on one other when you deprive them of reward.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-12-19 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    1. Blizzard has stated many times that you don't need Valor gear.
    2. Valor Points haven't been a raid currency in years.

If this was 100% true not only would they not give us valor they wouldn't have just raised the amount you get doing different things. Many non heroic bis items for ppl are from valor and in some cases like rings the new valor rings are the 2nd best option for ppl even if they are 16/16 in heroics. Sure you don't absolutely have to have the valor gear to do things, but lets not kid ourselves if the gear was that unnecessary they wouldn't have taken the time to put it in the game. They screwed up the rep and valor grind at the start of MoP they have said this several times in several different ways at this point. Now they are just doing partial fixes one after another to try and repair the issue they caused without completely revamping things.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Possibly. I'm not even sure there will be T15 valor gear, by the way, perhaps all VPs will just go to upgrades from 5.2 onwards.
    Blizz wants upgrades to replace nerfs to raids, not replace adding more vp gear. I'm sure there'll be another daily faction in 5.2.

Pointless. In fact if they do that it may as well be sold for jp as well. People want reward and progression and they don't want it to be a wall in their face all the time. Look even if you remove the rep requirement from valor gear tmmrw guess what? Grinding out the valor to actually buy the gear is still painful and slow as hell anyway. It doesn't need to be double gated unless your telling me nobody will touch daily quests without it. I agree but that's a function of how shitty daily quests are.
    If you want to hit 90 Monday, be geared Wednesday, and be raiding by Saturday; WoW is not the game for you. As the Pandaren say, slow down.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

It comes down to this for me:

I do not hate dailies. I hate that I have to do them in order to buy valor gear, which in turn causes me to ignore them most days. In previous expansions this was not the case. I am currently only doing dailies for mounts and not buying a single piece of valor gear from any faction even though I can on a couple of toons. I just don't like the system so I use it for LFR/Raid upgrades.

These factions would rather me go pick berries to prove I'm worthy of buying their gear than go and slay thousands of their enemies and save their continent. That makes sense.....

If you want to hit 90 Monday, be geared Wednesday, and be raiding by Saturday; WoW is not the game for you. As the Pandaren say, slow down.
    Actually that's exactly what's happened in mists. In fact that hasn't changed at all. I hit 90, ran dungeons for 2 days and was good to go for raiding. The heroics are so easy they provide no barrier to entry at all. That hasn't changed at all though. The difference now is that if I want to progress while raiding and get some sense of reward out of the game I have to do dailies. If what your after is barriers to entry than cataclysm was far better for the majority of the population. They couldn't kill heroic dungeons at a decent enough pace and it held them back from raiding, longer than these faceroll mists heroics. It's full speed until you hit that daily/valor/raid wall. Then it's a huge fucking wall and I'm so sick of being told to slow down. This isn't 2006. Slowing down is the dumbest most regressive thing they could have thought of.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-12-19 at 10:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    If this was 100% true not only would they not give us valor they wouldn't have just raised the amount you get doing different things. Many non heroic bis items for ppl are from valor and in some cases like rings the new valor rings are the 2nd best option for ppl even if they are 16/16 in heroics. Sure you don't absolutely have to have the valor gear to do things, but lets not kid ourselves if the gear was that unnecessary they wouldn't have taken the time to put it in the game. They screwed up the rep and valor grind at the start of MoP they have said this several times in several different ways at this point. Now they are just doing partial fixes one after another to try and repair the issue they caused without completely revamping things.
    When did the world firsts clear 16/16 heroic? Oh, right. It was before 5.1. You don't need valor gear, even the 496s (those rings are at honored, btw).

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    15% chance. Boss has 3 items you want a specific one: 5% chance.

Left: chance to get the fail bag. Right: ID lockout

After 11 IDs there a 60% chance of NOT getting the Item in question. By that time almost EVERY raid will have looted the item multiple times and distributed it via DKP.
    Large sample sizes DO NOT APPLY HERE b/c there is only one attempt per week.

Believe it or not that's INTENTIONAL. Blizzard stated that they wanted the charms to be a bonus but they kept the chance of Items low enough so raiders don't consider it mandatory.

Unrelated side note: That's the very same reason LFR loot sucks btw, the chance of getting a specific Items is way too low.
    1) You're making too many assumptions. In most cases, there is a few bosses that you need all items from. This is where you would use your charms.
    2) Look at it from an entire raid's prospective instead of a singe character's. Instead of 3 chances a week, its 30 or 75.

So basically... without a doubt, charms will increase a raid's performance over time. The chance of a certain person getting a specific upgrade is small, but the chance of a person in the raid getting an upgrade is incredibly high.

---------- Post added 2012-12-19 at 11:14 PM ----------

Because you want to have the cake and eat it too. Rep + items + valor from one place? A little bit too much perhaps?
    Rep + valor + charms in once place is what dailies offer. From the most boring and time consuming content, too.
    Last edited by Maelstrom51; 2012-12-19 at 11:19 PM.

Heres teh thing:

If you raid Normal or above,
    DON'T SPEND VALOR ON REP ITEMS EVER.
    You're going to replace everything you get from rep in Normal Mode, so you're better off saving your valor and using it to upgrade drops.

This means.. tada! Rep doesn't matter. At least not if you raid.

Which means all you really need to do each week is enough dailys to get your 3 charms, which really isn't that many.
    Last edited by Ranluka; 2012-12-20 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranluka View Post
    Heres teh thing:

If you raid Normal or above,
    DON'T SPEND VALOR ON REP ITEMS EVER.
    You're going to replace everything you get from rep in Normal Mode, so you're better off saving your valor and using it to upgrade drops.

This means.. tada! Rep doesn't matter. At least not if you raid.
    your not going to be that lucky to get every drop you need in a few weeks valor gear is there to fill the slots rng wont let you fill

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    your not going to be that lucky to get every drop you need in a few weeks valor gear is there to fill the slots rng wont let you fill
    If only I was that lucky. I may have continued to play the game. As it was even in LFR i got squat for my time invested.

If only I was that lucky. I may have continued to play the game. As it was even in LFR i got squat for my time invested.
    my main still has 476 boots and cloak i was after pandaran ambasador and ive gotten revered with shield wall,

but say there are people in my position but don't have the rep status i do,

just coz they raid normal or heroic they should be able to spend their valor on better gear than what they coherently have?

that's absurd, as that's the whole point of valor gear.

lfr is annoying, i just got the last peice i need form there on my 3rd alt be4 my main is done....

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    ...why do you need to?

A few weeks?! Dude, gear isn't supposed to take just a few weeks. People spend months farming a teir!

You need 27000 Valor in all to get your BIS items all upgraded. Its going to take you the entire tier to get all that gear upgraded. Why would you waste it on filler gear when you need it for your BIS? The only time you should spend it on rep gear is if you've run out of raid gear to upgrade and you're going to waste valor if you don't spend some. That's the ONLY time.

I know you want to cling to the Pre-MOP model, but this expac, its primary purpose is gear upgrades. That's the the rep gear is lower ilvl. If you're spending it on Rep gear, you're just gimping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    When did the world firsts clear 16/16 heroic? Oh, right. It was before 5.1. You don't need valor gear, even the 496s (those rings are at honored, btw).
    I'm so sick of hearing this garbage. Why do people persist in pretending that everyone is capable of playing to the level of world first players. Some simply aren't, and yes, those people do need the valor gear to participate. It is not the same for everyone, stop pretending that it is. For example one of our raiders, who has been with us for many, many years, happens to only have one arm. Do you think they can play at the level of a world first player? Should they be reasonably expected to? If I tell them to practice enough do you think their arm will grow back? They still want to participate, and they can, *if* they get a bit of help, and that comes in the form of stuff like valor gear. Not everyone is of equal skill, ability and potential, it's offensive to pretend that they are in your expectations. 99.9999% of us are not world first players and it's completely ridiculous and pointless to pretend that we are or could be in most circumstances.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2012-12-20 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moradim View Post
    this is mostly qq about alts. to spend your valor that you get from raiding, you need to grind out reps. which to be honest, is stupid. I get a currency from raiding, and I have to do DAILIES just for the RIGHT to spend it?

who thought of this crap?

my warlock alt has no desire to do any dailies, I do enough of them on my paladin. but, if I want to spend my valor, I have no choice.

rep should only be required for VANITY items. valor items should be on their own vendor, cause if I choose to raid on a character, I shouldnt be forced to do dailies just to spend my valor. all this system does, is FORCE people to do dailies that they dont want to.

being forced to do dailies to spend a currency you primarily get from raiding = dumb.
    You can spend your valor to upgrade existing raid gear you have. Its like the old days, if you wanted raid gear you had to raid. No one complained. If you wanted PvP gear you PvP'd. No one complained. If you want rep gear do the dailies.

10+ Year Old Account
    rep has never been just about vanity items. You could always leave the game.

You can spend valor without doing dailies, its called item upgrades...

heres my idea.

exalted on main = unlocks items for alts

there is no fucking way im doing the golden lotus grind again on my warlock.
    First off, you only need revered to get valor gear. Revered only takes about two weeks on your first character. Then you buy the commendations for rep which makes you gain rep much faster for all your toons. With that your alts will have Klaxxi revered before halfway through the quest line. And it takes a week to week and a half to finish of revered on alts. This is hardly any work or effort involved. Sure its dailies but they are all simple with a few exceptions for Shadow Pan.

All this smacks of people wanting the easier or fastest way of doing things. VP gear is not needed for raiding nor was this lot geared for raiders. It was meant for non raiders to progress and get a full set of raid quality without raiding. I would take 2.5 or more months of capping valor to get a full set. That is more time than an average raider takes. Not to mention they have to do the dailies. So if you want the non raiding gear you have to do the non raiding solution.

Upgrading raid gear with VP was always intended for this expansion. Which again says, rep vp gear was not intended for raiders. Dailies provide VP which tells me the rep gar is for the daily people.

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 12:51 AM ----------

I think flavor/vanity items are the things that should be tied behind rep. like the tigers, and so on. if you make cool items, people will grind for them. like frostsabers or w/e.

if you make enough of these items that people want, people will still do dailies for them. I just think valor gear should be separate entirely. cause if you dont want to do dailies on alts, basically you are using valor on upgrades solely.

why did they change the cata system? regardless of your opinion on the expansion as a whole, getting valor items wasnt a long process with a gate. got 1250vp? you can buy a ring right away. also, JP items were useful and JP was easier to get, but thats another topic. it's a gate (rep) on top of another gate (valor, which has a lower cap this xpac), which seems unneccesary.

I see no reason to gate access to vp items other than forcing people to do dailies. no, you dont need them, but in cata this was a non-issue. you just went to the vendor and spent your valor.

You need exalted for the vanity items. All Vp gear is at revered. Which takes two or less week to get. If you raid and have bad luck and didn't raise your rep then that is your own fault. You knew it was there and was needed. At least Blizzard moved all the gear to revered. Some was at exalted.

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 12:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    Valor gear requiring reputation is a non-issue now. Raiders should be spending their valor on gear upgrades, and non-raiders have a way to progress their character still.

Now what needs addressed is 45 dailies required by raiders each week. Charms go a long way to solve the 10 man vs 25 man gear imbalance, but making them only available through daily quests was absolutely stupid.

Back in my days, games were supposed to be fun. And I don't find doing chores as fun.
    Charms are an optional bonus roll. If you want to receive the bonus of an extra roll then do your 45 dailies. If you did the dailies to get the rep you should easily have 3 months worth in you currency tab. Blizzard should never change this. They are not going to give you free loot without the extra effort. Well I guess you may be able to get some with pet battles in the near future.

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 12:56 AM ----------

I dont want things handed to me.

but having to grind rep just for the right to SPEND your valor points, is dumb.

it's like..oh cool, I got 2000 valor points. I'd sure love to spend them, but I cant unless I do all these daily quests! this is more of an issue for alts than anything, most people are using them on upgrades, but alts in blues dont have valor items to upgrade yet.

if rep is required for items, make the items cost gold. and put the valor items on another vendor.
    And again you are not listening to anyone. You can use them to upgrade your existing gear. If you are not raiding and not doing dailies to build rep then you have no need to spend valor.

---------- Post added 2012-12-20 at 12:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    From what I can remember, the original idea for 5.1 is that all you alts would gain Revered status, if you gained Exalted status on 1 character. I could have missread that, but I'm quiet sure this was the original idea.

Although, I dont really care for gearing up my alts at the moment. It is kind of weird that you gain a decent amount of valor by doing LFR, Scenario's and Dungeons, but there is no way of spending it (ok, upgrades), if you dont do the daily grind again on your alt. Which I can totally understand, enough is enough.

I think Valor gear should be more appealing for Alts then it is now. An alt is not worth spending 2 hours a day doing dailies. The problem is for most (raiding) people, that they hardly used any valor on valorgear. But for those 1-2 alts, who arent raiding often, it would be a big welcome if they could profit from the rep gained by the main.
    They were going to make it automatic they changed it so you have to buy commendations. No automatic bump to revered just faster rep gains.

As for this canard that VP gear wasn't meant for this expansion for whatever reason, or intended for raiders. Let's dispell that particular myth right now.

Stephen Reis ‏@StephenReis123
    @Ghostcrawler Why did you end up deciding to keep valor gear in the game? Their was talk that you wouldn't have any this expac.
    Collapse Reply Delete Favorite More
    11:38 AM - 18 Dec 12 · Details
    Tweet textImage will appear as a link
    18 Dec Greg Street ‏@Ghostcrawler
    @StephenReis123 Even though we think it's important to the game, players can get really frustrated with the RNG of boss drops.
    Expand
    RNG OF BOSS DROPS. So yes it was designed with raiders in mind. Raiders at all levels.