10+ Year Old Account

Jewelcrafting - What's the math?

Just wondering some things:

How many Flawless Squares to make a Radiant Star?
    How many Tomes of Secret to make a Radiant Star?

Given that I already have all the materials necessary, what is the gold cost for a Radiant Star? And is it worth the money to make and sell, also given the 15% auction house cut and the fact it would NOT be an emerald?

Then, would it be worth it if I didn't have the mats, to buy them all to make a Radiant Star and sell?

I believe it's around 729 Flawless squares, 1,631 tomes and 15mil( I think ) to get a Radiant.

Taking that info, you'd have to check the prices for all that and then decide. Most likely not worth it if you have to buy your own mats; maybe not even worth it if you already have the mats.

I haven't checked prices for any of those recently, though.

Well, let's see, shall we?

729 Flawless Square Emeralds = 3.2mil
    +
    1,631 Tomes = 670k
    +
    Crafting fee = 15.4mil

For a total of ~19mil.

And the Radiant Star costs 23.5mil

So if you bought all the mats, you make roughly 4mil profit from selling the Radiant gem.

....Dayum, I should try that. Would get really damn boring clicking the "Craft" button so many times, though...Blizzard, y u no implement craft queue like the crafting windows in WoW?
    Last edited by Vook; 2012-12-18 at 05:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Did you forget the AH cut? If I did the math right, you'd maybe make ~1m in profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I checked Ruby, assuming the numbers are correct. And with buying the mats, it'd be about a 1.2 million profit after the AH cut. Tempted to try this.

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 01:08 AM ----------

Huh, got 17,335,000 back after cut. I'm not seeing my profit anywhere. 1.8 million mats, 15.4 million fee, nope, not worth it

I did the calculations a long time ago but from memory the best money maker is to sell the gems as star and not go all the way to radiant star.

Not sure if still accurate info though

15+ Year Old Account
    on HC the only gem that you can really profit from are amethyst...
    SC, emeralds.

Everything, with ah cuts, are too low to turn a profit.

One reason why I always pickup gems

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider Klein View Post
    I did the calculations a long time ago but from memory the best money maker is to sell the gems as star and not go all the way to radiant star.

Not sure if still accurate info though
    500k crafting cost. Topaz at just over 600k cost, which barely offers a profit after 15% cut. Rubies and Amethyst are around 650k, so a small profit. Still not worth it. That's WITH the materials farmed. Emeralds at 757k would be a little over 100k profit, again assuming you have the materials. Otherwise, it's a net loss.

Cheaper to buy the dupes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Cheaper to buy the dupes
    Well, the point was to hope to make a little money. I stopped picking up gems because there's just no point for me outside emeralds. Got a couple hundred of the others just wasting away in my stash, and they're not worth selling as Flawless Square.

http://diablo-3-gem-calculator.com/

this is the website I once used before when calculating this stuff. hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Well, the point was to hope to make a little money. I stopped picking up gems because there's just no point for me outside emeralds. Got a couple hundred of the others just wasting away in my stash, and they're not worth selling as Flawless Square.
    Better off dealing with RNG :|

They should remove the gold cost to make gems, then id start picking them up. The current system is one of the worst ive seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    No chance of making money when you'd be making something like a 10M loss on the craft by selling it because of the dupers.

I would sell em on trade in between the auction house and production price to be honest. Don't have to deal with the cut that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    They should remove the gold cost to make gems, then id start picking them up. The current system is one of the worst ive seen.
    This would make them cheaper but not help anyone make money

This link should help everyone in this thread make their lives easier. http://www.diablo3gemcalculator.com/index.php