Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Disclaimer: not trying to be insulting. Purely in jest. Some of these books I go, ok personal preference. Some I want to say "fuck you". So all you people who put Silmarillion, fuck you.
    -Ulysses, Absalom Absalom. Moby Dick and a bunch of others: this might just mean you aren't very smart.
    -Their Eyes Were Watching God, best African American work; beats the hell out of that swill that normally gets peddled around.
    -Hawthorne isn't my favorite author, but c'mon. Reading too much of that Game of Thrones horseshit are we?
    -I'm not really sure what to say about people who complain about the Bible so I won't even try.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Quote Originally Posted by Spekkiothebrave View Post
    I have read some terribly boring books. Pilgrim's Progress is probably one of the worst, then I also remember that I have read Jude the Obscure. Jude the Obscure seemed to be about a thousand pages of this guy wishing he could go over this hill....awful. I don't really care for highly romanticized longings for rural life, and as far as I can tell that's all that Thomas Hardy ever wrote about.

The two most difficult books I've ever tried to read were probably Maldoror by Lautremont and Finnegan's Wake by Joyce. Never finished either, both are too far into the surreal for me. I don't know why anyone ever recommended I read Maldoror, but the first part was sickening and I couldn't find any meaning in it. Finnegan's wake is just incomprehensible, I love Joyce; but even I had to take a pass on that one.
    If you like Joyce you should look up his love letters. Some of his most... "unique" work...

They will blow your fucking mind.

When you feel the need to write "not trying to be insulting" or "no offense", it's more often than not because you are insulting, and typing that beforehand doesn't change that

Do elaborate about why I should mate with myself because I thought Silmarillion was a pain to read. :>
    Black sunglasses with skinny jeans, that's me
    With groovy steps, skinny red, that's me
    All my people on the web (click me)
    All my people on sites (click me)
    singin' lalalalalalala

The Kite Runner. I just thought it was terrible. I couldn't take it seriously and it took me forever to read it because I would get through a page and a half and then my thoughts would wander.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    The Kite Runner. I just thought it was terrible. I couldn't take it seriously and it took me forever to read it because I would get through a page and a half and then my thoughts would wander.
    What were the reasons you couldn't take it seriously? Just curious here because I thought it was a decent read.

WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I hate this. I read a lot about 18th century French history and it pisses me off to no end when an author quotes something in French. Ok so I am reading a book about France, that doesn't mean I speak the damn language.
    It at least makes a little more sense in that context. Orientalism is about relationship between the West and the Middle East, but regularly quotes scholarly works in French and German. I guess it makes sense on an academic level since a great deal of writing is done in those languages, but for average readership, it's very difficult. And even if you're well versed in French and German, you'll still faced with tons of vague references to other scholars and classic works that expect you to know enough about them to be able to know what he's saying because he never gives enough context to glean from the book itself. And in general, it's a very arduous read - complex topic, complex language, a lot of depth and a lot of work to read.

I read tooooooons of non-fiction, maybe a hundred books a year not even counting fiction stuff. I'm used to dry, academic reads. I love reference books. I love stuff by university presses. I love niche topics. This particular topic is interesting to me. Everything suggests I should like it but this book is just over my head; I would probably be generous to say I really understood about half of it. I am obviously too dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    Surprised Ulysses hasn't been mentioned much/at all.

I've heard a lot of people have struggled with that one.
    I've never even bothered. I've read enough to conclude that it's not worth the investment to read. I'm sure the bulk of people who claim to have read that book actually haven't.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2013-01-02 at 05:33 PM.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    Disclaimer: not trying to be insulting. Purely in jest. Some of these books I go, ok personal preference. Some I want to say "fuck you". So all you people who put Silmarillion, fuck you.
    -Ulysses, Absalom Absalom. Moby Dick and a bunch of others: this might just mean you aren't very smart.
    -Their Eyes Were Watching God, best African American work; beats the hell out of that swill that normally gets peddled around.
    -Hawthorne isn't my favorite author, but c'mon. Reading too much of that Game of Thrones horseshit are we?
    -I'm not really sure what to say about people who complain about the Bible so I won't even try.
    Back to /lit/ with you. We plebs are doing just fine on our own here.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!