Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Cool So a card game that requires actual skills?

Hey there,

I happen to play card games with my family, but it always bother me how much randomness there is to the games. If I play very good, and someone plays quite bad, the difference between us is probably 10-15 % max. Any game where the skilled player will win nearly everytime?

Hand and Foot
    Bridge

But those are all team games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enaina View Post
    Hey there,

I happen to play card games with my family, but it always bother me how much randomness there is to the games. If I play very good, and someone plays quite bad, the difference between us is probably 10-15 % max. Any game where the skilled player will win nearly everytime?

Standard 52 cards?

Texas Holdem, Omaha Hi/Lo are both games which take several important skills to master. but once you do you win all the time until you face an equal or better.

Well, a game we call 'meppen' not sure what the English version of it would be.

Basically, you split up the deck among all players and you keep the stack in your hand (you can't look at your cards). You flip one card down (so it ends up open, but make sure the others and yourself don't see it until it is there) after eachother and depending on which rules you use you should hit/grab the stack (which means you'll end up with all the cards from the stack) before the others in the following cases:

- Double (i.e. ace - ace, 6 - 6)
    - Sandwitch (i.e. 5 - queen - 5, king - ace - king)
    - Joker

It is unimportant who flipped the cards, as long as these patterns occur on the stack you're allowed to mep (hit) the stack and grab the cards!

Now in order to keep the game progressing there is an other set of rules. Whenever somebody puts down a facecard* (Jack, Queen, King, Ace) the next person has to put down several cards until they hit a facecard too. If they don't, the person who put the facecard there gets the stack.
    Jack: 1 chance (i.e. somebody throws down a Jack, you'll have 1 chance to put a facecard down as well or the person who put down the Jack gets the stack)
    Queen: 2 chances (i.e. somebody throws down a Queen, the next person has 2 chances to put down a facecard. So Q: 5 - A would be okay, but same for Q: A)
    King: 3 chances (i.e. somebody throws down a king, the next person has 3 chances to put down a facecard. So K: 5 - 8 - J would be okay as well + Queen examples)
    Ace: 4 chances (i.e. similar to throwing down a king, but with 4 chances to hit a facecard)

Now if somebody doesn't manage to get a facecard the whole stack goes to the person who thew it down. (i.e. K - 4 -5 - 6, person who threw the king gets the stack. K - 2 - A - 7 - 5 - 1 - 9, person who threw the ace gets the stack).
    If somebody takes the stack (either threw grabbing it due to double cards or facecard rules) that person starts again building a new stack.

*I'm not 100% sure about the term facecards, but with facecards I mean Jack, Queen, King and Ace
    ** The colour of the cards is completely irrelevant to the game. It's all about numbers!
    *** Despite the fact that being delt good cards (having lots of facecards, specially Jacks and Queens) is very helpful and the rules surrounding facecards do involve luck, when I played this game in highschool I managed to win about 90% of the games we did because with a high reaction speed and good coördination you'll be able to get the cards through doubles and sandwitches most of the time.

If you'd like to play this, but don't get my poor explanation feel free to PM me or post below!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Standard 52 cards?

Texas Holdem, Omaha Hi/Lo are both games which take several important skills to master. but once you do you win all the time until you face an equal or better.
    Yea standard 52 cards, or other games that are usually accessible, like dices.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Bridge. You need exactly four players, but it's one of most skill-dependent card games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_bridge

Poker without sunglasses or anything to cover your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Poker without sunglasses or anything to cover your eyes.
    Heh, I always found it strange how they let professionals wear that stuff. Seems to defeat the purpose of playing in person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Heh, I always found it strange how they let professionals wear that stuff. Seems to defeat the purpose of playing in person.
    The eyes give away so much information away to the pros it's not funny. Anyway the definition of a 'pro' in poker is not clearly defined, some of the most renowned so called pros in the game are down millions overs the course of their careers. Some define a poker pro merely as someone with lots of money and plays a lot of poker (and wears sunglasses).

If you're good you can play 10 tables at once online and grind it out at the low stakes but it's as boring as hell, you might as well get a job.

Bridge is good skill game but you need a partner who isn't a retard and can put up with all the ups and downs.

Magic The Gathering

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Magic The Gathering
    Came here to post this.. the community for this game is similar to WoW's in many ways.

Although if you're looking for games for ye olde 52 card deck, I haven't a clue..

10+ Year Old Account
    Poker. If you get a bad hand you don't have to play it after all, unless you're good and can bluff. Definitely a huge difference in good and bad poker players.

Used to play it at lunch back in high school, was very fun. Trying to bluff with a bad hand or trying to make it seem like you're bluffing with a good hand, without making it obvious that that's what you're doing. We didn't use money of course, just random poker chips. Each person got a certain amount

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Magic The Gathering
    This is a very cool and skill dependent game, however the players wont start the game in equal terms, every player start with a diferent deck with diferent cards and to some extend it is a papper beat rock ..., and because of that it may not be exaclty what you want.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    no limit texas hold 'em.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NPEC View Post
    This is a very cool and skill dependent game, however the players wont start the game in equal terms, every player start with a diferent deck with diferent cards and to some extend it is a papper beat rock ..., and because of that it may not be exaclty what you want.
    I'm also fairly certain the OP wants 52 deck games.
    MTG is more of a hobby to get into than most 52 deck card games. With lore and all that kind of thing

10+ Year Old Account
    Hearts and Spades are pretty skill-based. Gin, too, if you play lots of games for points.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post
    Came here to post this.. the community for this game is similar to WoW's in many ways.

Although if you're looking for games for ye olde 52 card deck, I haven't a clue..
    All the more reason to avoid it then.

15+ Year Old Account
    Spit

10chars

Magic: The Gathering is also very expensive to stay competitive in since they change the cards in use about every three to four months. If you are looking for a non 52 card game that is very noticeable difference between skill of players I would suggest the card game Munchkin put out by Steve Jackson Games. There is still some luck of the draw involved in the game but it is quite fun. It is a game where I can tell you the rules of the game but it won't make a whole lot of difference its much more about skill and experience then just knowing the rules.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drop the card games and pick up Stratego or Risk.