Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Moderator Nobleshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    4,737

    Considering giving SWTOR another shot since it's F2P; couple of questions?

    Long story short I pre-ordered SWTOR when it came out, and let's just say it failed miserably to live up to the hype at the time. Now that it's gone F2P I've thought of giving it another shot, if for no other reason than to try the stories out and have something else to do. I almost always tank in MMOs and I've narrowed my choices down to (I think) a Bounty Hunter or a Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin (not sure if Republic/Imperial yet). That said, however:

    1) Which tank is considered to be better suited for group play? At this point I'm not sure how much, if any, group play I plan to do but just trying to get the information for future reference. Some older (I think?) guides extolled the virtues of the Shadow/Assassin as the go-to tank, but this probably changed at some point. How would each of these types of classes play as a tank? It seems like the Bounty Hunter's tank spec has both ranged and melee abilities?

    2) On the flip side, for DPS which of them is considered better and how do they play? The Shadow/Assassin is like a Rogue I'm guessing, sneaking up and bursting?

    3) How is the story for each? I remember doing a few introductory quests on everything when the game came out; the "Great Hunt" and the stuff with Nemro the Hutt (I think it was Nemro, could have been the other Hutt) with the Bounty Hunter, being a slave and having the overseer be a total dbag as the Inquisitor, and some vague stuff with Twi'leks and cannibals as the Consular, but that was all I ever saw of the story. Which of the three has the better story overall? I'm leaning towards Sith just because at some point you get a "Darth" title
    NOBLESHIELD
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator | Twitch Stream | Wayniac#1291


  2. #2
    Just so you're aware, it has one of the worst F2P systems in the MMO genre.
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it. -Boubouille

  3. #3
    Moderator Nobleshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    4,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Soratrox View Post
    Just so you're aware, it has one of the worst F2P systems in the MMO genre.
    I'm aware. I was following when it was talking about going F2P and thought that they couldn't have said "We don't want to go F2P but we're forced to, so we're going to stick it to you." any better.

    Out of morbid curiosity though, did they remove the restriction on being able to use chat at all like they had in the original free trial? Or do you have to pay to actually talk to other people in the game too?

    I should add that I should have "Preferred" status since I pre-ordered the original game, for whatever extra stuff that will give me compared to the straight free.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2013-03-24 at 09:01 PM.
    NOBLESHIELD
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator | Twitch Stream | Wayniac#1291


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    I'm aware. I was following when it was talking about going F2P and thought that they couldn't have said "We don't want to go F2P but we're forced to, so we're going to stick it to you." any better.

    Out of morbid curiosity though, did they remove the restriction on being able to use chat at all like they had in the original free trial? Or do you have to pay to actually talk to other people in the game too?

    I should add that I should have "Preferred" status since I pre-ordered the original game, for whatever extra stuff that will give me compared to the straight free.
    http://www.swtor.com/free/features
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it. -Boubouille

  5. #5
    Bloodsail Admiral Nume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Area Tech, Watertown, SD
    Posts
    1,034
    I really don't know which classes are "best" since all I do is level characters for the storylines, but my favorite story/class to play was the Imperial Agent Sniper. The story was just so awesome I can't even explain it, and it was also a lot of fun to play :P.

  6. #6
    Pandaren Monk icausewipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Medusa Cascade
    Posts
    1,761
    Best imo:

    story - Imperial Agent

    tank - Shadow/Assassin tank

    dps -not sure

    If you are looking to get into the HK-51 story be prepared for an ungodly amount of frustration.
    Clara, be my pal, tell me: am I a good man?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Unless you are Chuck Norris, you have cried.

  7. #7
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UK - North East England
    Posts
    314
    I have a Sith Juggernaut, Jedi Shadow and a Republic Vanguard all tank spec. I don't do high end operations so I can't comment on the suitability of each for that, but for tanking heroic missions and flashpoints (normal and HM) I find my Juggernaut to be the most fun.

    For DPS (from a PvP and levelling perspective)I've seen an increase in the number of Sith Assassins in WZ recently and been on the receiving end of a few 'mullerings' from them! An often overlooked AC is the BH Merc, if I can get myself a little hiding spot and left alone I can knock out some serious hurt on my Arsenal Merc.
    Again I'm not sure about DPSing Ops but in FPS and HC missions I find that they are all much of a muchness as long as you aren't V bad. Until you get to the HM and NM Ops People tend not to live and die by the damage meters so as long as the bosses are dropping nobody really seems to care...it's a fun thing.

    As with most things a lot of this is down to opinion, personally I couldn't get excited by the smuggler, SI or JC stories but enjoyed the JK, SW, BH and trooper stories. I've not completed the IA story yet but it isn't really floating my boat but that could be more to do with my overall interest in the game waning.

    Good luck with whatever you choose.

  8. #8
    Brewmaster Elite Peon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The American Empire of Obama
    Posts
    1,377
    Very short answer ....don't roll anything Jedi ...I don't know if bioware hates them or what but they are so freaking weak . Either go sith or play a republic commando class because all other republic classes are very weak .

  9. #9
    Pandaren Monk WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,812
    Uhhhh...Imperial classes are the EXACT COPY of Republic classes. Why are you saying Republic classes are weak?

  10. #10
    Brewmaster Elite Peon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The American Empire of Obama
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    Uhhhh...Imperial classes are the EXACT COPY of Republic classes. Why are you saying Republic classes are weak?
    My sith is way more power then my jedi toons ....sorry but it's true

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    3) How is the story for each? I remember doing a few introductory quests on everything when the game came out; the "Great Hunt" and the stuff with Nemro the Hutt (I think it was Nemro, could have been the other Hutt) with the Bounty Hunter, being a slave and having the overseer be a total dbag as the Inquisitor, and some vague stuff with Twi'leks and cannibals as the Consular, but that was all I ever saw of the story. Which of the three has the better story overall? I'm leaning towards Sith just because at some point you get a "Darth" title
    I only played Inquisitor of these 3 but I would highly recommend it since it's a great story. It may start a bit slow but after Act 1, it's just an amazing ride till the end. Just... don't play full 100% Dark Side. Frankly, most of the Dark Side options in the game should be renamed "Dumb Side" options along with the "Worst Military Strategist Ever" trophy granted. It's way too often just mindless killing that pretty much dumbbs down the storyline and the character

  12. #12
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UK - North East England
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    My sith is way more power then my jedi toons ....sorry but it's true
    Sorry but I have to disagree, as the man said....mirrors.

  13. #13
    Brewmaster Elite Peon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The American Empire of Obama
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    Sorry but I have to disagree, as the man said....mirrors.
    Yes and the horde are not more powerful then the alliance either ....that's why ALL of the top world guilds are horde ...mirrors ..LOL...ok

  14. #14
    Yoda: Yes, run! Yes, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.
    Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?
    Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
    Luke: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?
    Yoda: You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-26 at 05:23 PM ----------

    oh. and about that horde/alliance comparison. That doesn't work because of racials being different.

  15. #15
    SWTOR did not go F2P.

    They just created an extended trial version and called it "F2P".

    Not hating, that's just a fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Yes and the horde are not more powerful then the alliance either ....that's why ALL of the top world guilds are horde ...mirrors ..LOL...ok
    Are you trying to be this stupid? A Sith Warrior is the exact same as a Jedi Knight. If you can't understand that I feel sorry for you.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesnarf View Post
    Are you trying to be this stupid? A Sith Warrior is the exact same as a Jedi Knight. If you can't understand that I feel sorry for you.
    There were some minute differences at release between the factions based on ability animations (and I've heard there are still some small bugs present that can make 1 AC slightly stronger on Rep or Imp, but I can't remember any atm).

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Yes and the horde are not more powerful then the alliance either ....that's why ALL of the top world guilds are horde ...mirrors ..LOL...ok
    The Horde has more powerful racials. Rocket Barrage, Berserking, Regeneration, Endurance, and Blood Fury are better racials than anything the Alliance has. Considering there are no racials in TOR, all classes are carbon copies. Also, your argument is fallacious. It's equivalent to "50,000 Elvis fans can't be wrong." The number of people who play a specific faction is little proof to your "power" argument.

  19. #19
    Herald of the Titans Achaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    pfft as if you care..
    Posts
    2,681
    get a friend to level with as it can be really boring otherwise

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Yes and the horde are not more powerful then the alliance either ....that's why ALL of the top world guilds are horde ...mirrors ..LOL...ok
    I get the feeling that you aren't really aware of how the system works.

    OP: Star Wars is still fun! It's just very annoying to be reminded constantly of all the things you cannot do as a F2P player... Like hiding your head slot. Especially the fact that they locked that particular feature annoyed me greatly; it was evidence of childishness, if you ask me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •