Thread: Stormlash Totem

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Stormlash Totem

What is the point of Stormlash? Not sure on its purpose

Stormlash Totem:

Summons an Air Totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster, empowering allies within 30 yards with lightning. While empowered, allies' spells and attacks will trigger bursts of electricity, dealing additional Nature damage to their target. Lasts 10 sec.

It's basically a bit of 'on-demand burst' for the entire raid. nice to use at the start of fights then at the end when your 5 mins CD's come up again (unglyphed Fire Elemental for example)
    Raining Pandarens because of the bouncy racial?
    Quote Originally Posted by rokatoro View Post
    Some Might say it was... (•_•).....( •_•)>⌐■-■....(⌐■_■) A heavy Rain.
    I'm so sorry ;_;

Our personal DPS is not balanced around it, so its simply utility.

I've noticed that every time I use Stormlash totem it does about 1-2% of the person's dps (of course it works better for different classes). Helps for that little "just in case" you need a little extra. If you have a 1% wipe and don't use...you will feel really bad.

1. Put it down during blood lust/heroism or "fast casting/attacking phases" since it procs off attacks. I don't think it uses the Real PPM system yet? (unconfirmed)
    2. Give your raid a bunch of extra free dps.
    3. Profit
    4. Have your raid thank you for the wonderful contributions that shamans bring to them. (hahahahaha right?)

It does seem to help out melee a LOT more than ranged due to cast time vs autoattack. Looking at my logs, it did 618k damage for me alone and only 103k for our fire mage. That was on Blade Lord Tay'ak 10m Normal

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1161&e=1538
    Last edited by HavocsCall; 2012-12-18 at 04:29 PM.

It can really help if your raid need a bit of extra DPS from one shaman to a noticable boost from multiple shamans chaining them. we use 5 shaman rotation to boost BL and its noticable increase (+ milions in whole encounter)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a raid CD, similar to warriors' Skull Banner. I've just taken to dropping it whenever my fire elemental is up, since they share a CD. And we often BL either immediately on the pull to stack CDs or at another 5 minute interval.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

i have it macro'd into bloodlust for maximum lol raid dps in random bgs. for arena, i have a cast sequence macro of fire ele, wolves, storm lash for maximum CD stacking thats fucking on the gcd why am i not a warrior fuck.
    Arena Master Elemental Shaman
    Maeros@Illidan
    http://www.twitch.tv/chroniclinex
    http://www.youtube.com/chroniclinex

Quote Originally Posted by HavocsCall View Post
    It does seem to help out melee a LOT more than ranged due to cast time vs autoattack. Looking at my logs, it did 618k damage for me alone and only 103k for our fire mage. That was on Blade Lord Tay'ak 10m Normal

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=1161&e=1538
    Probably an overnerf from beta where it was helping casters and was considered bad for melee. That being said, 600k damage is absolutely insane. They nerfed its proc on ranged for it doing 300k~...

The damage done by stormlash totem is nature-based, so it is increased with mastery. Win for enhas and boomkins atleast

Thanks everyone for the replies! helped alot!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyttis View Post
    The damage done by stormlash totem is nature-based, so it is increased with mastery. Win for enhas and boomkins atleast
    Only if they are in solar eclipse, and I doubt any boomkin is going to solar-sit just for stormlash.

I guess if they save their 3min cd for stormlash it would be nice, but still.

Deleted
    Well Stormlash totem isnt something you should be looking for as last thing to improve. Its INSANE dps cooldown and should be planned ahead how and when you are going to use it. Obviously you have to chain them when there is more shamans in raid.

I like one log of my guild where its quite visible how op Stormlash is:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3504&e=3943

37M dmg done.

using your logs, it'll obviously be lower on fights which don't have insane damage buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Diphal View Post
    Well Stormlash totem isnt something you should be looking for as last thing to improve. Its INSANE dps cooldown and should be planned ahead how and when you are going to use it. Obviously you have to chain them when there is more shamans in raid.

I like one log of my guild where its quite visible how op Stormlash is:

37M dmg done.
    25man with like 18 dps benefiting from it
    3 shamans
    elegon with loads of extra damage taken.
    one stormlash user averages about 1,2% of raid dps - on elegon only. if you add the other 350M damage on all adds, its about 1% per shaman. In other words not that significant, even on 25man.

Deleted
    Ye obviously, this just shows how important it is to use it at right time. But % of overall dmg is allways same. Doesnt matter it its Windlord, Elegon or lets say Feng.

Deleted
    I cant follow that statement that Stormlash is not mandatory. Sure, it require more shamans to get ST on 5% overall dmg done. But its easily done. With 5% its almost like 1 more dps player... a nd you guys say its not mandatory

Deleted
    Best to drop is at the very start of the fight when everyone's procs are up.

It would then, assuming a fight >5mins, be up again meaning you get at least two uses out of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Stormlash is complicated. You do not need to understand or remember all of this to benefit from the spell. We're just sharing the insides of the sausage because it was asked for theorycrafting purposes.

Stormlash. Chapter One...

The base damage is 20% of AP or 30% of SP, whichever is higher.
    That amount is multiplied by 0.2 for normal pets, and by 0 for guardian pets.
    Next, if it’s an autoattack (or spell that we count as an autoattack such as Wind Lash or Shadow Blades or Tiger Strikes), then it’s multiplied by 0.4, and then by WeaponSpeed / 2.6. And if it’s an offhand attack, it’s then multiplied by 0.5.
    If it’s periodic damage, it doesn’t Stormlash, unless it’s Mind Flay, Malefic Grasp, or Drain Soul.
    For all other spells, it’s then multiplied by BaseCastTime / 1.5 sec, with a floor on the BaseCastTime of 1.5 sec.
    And then there are multipliers for certain spells: 2x for Lightning Bolt, 2x for Lava Burst, 2x for Drain Soul, 0.5x for Sinister Strike.
    Finally, that’s the average damage it deals. It will actually deal that +/- 15 %.
    It also has a 0.1 sec ICD on triggering, and can miss based on spell hit.
    This quote comes from a blue post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stormlash helps to prevent those 1% wipes. If you didn't use Stormlash, and you have a 1% wipe, you know that you could have prevented that wipe.

Its also grand for burst fights, like WL heroic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.