Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Warriorfury View Post
    I want a pre-built desktop and not looking to build one myself as I don't know how to -_-
    Nor had i untill my current one and i've got to say that it was much easier than i thought it would be...literally just check the mobo instructions and make sure your plugging stuff in the right palces...can't really go wrong as most stuff can only plug into where it's meant to.
    You could get a good one built for yourself for about a grand minus the peripherals...cheaper probably.

Quote Originally Posted by tianvay View Post
    Never ever ever in a million years get a laptop for gaming. Since the laptop design usually is "flat = good", they easily overheat. Cooling Pads can help a bit, but when the heat tunnel gets dusted you got a real problem.
    How in the hell is my friend supposed to plug in his desktop and monitor and where is he supposed to put it when he is on his 24 hour shift in an ambulance and sitting in a parking lot for 4 hours with nothing to do?

How is a University Student who has 4 hours between his morning class and afternoon class that is caught up on studying and homework supposed to play on his desktop at school.

Guy starting his own business and needs a laptop for work reasons but still likes to game. Cannot afford both, it's one or the other.

While I admit, a desktop will typically be cheaper for the same performance, sometimes you just gotta have a laptop.

PS: The only time you should use the word never is when talking about how often you should use absolutes likes never and always, which is never.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never ever ever in a million years get a laptop for gaming. Since the laptop design usually is "flat = good", they easily overheat. Cooling Pads can help a bit, but when the heat tunnel gets dusted you got a real problem.
    Ummmm no. Just no. I currently have an Asus Republic of Gamers laptop and it works splendidly. It displays every game I have played on it on ultra/high settings with no lag. I'm also able to edit photos, be on the internet, or listen to music on Spotify or iTunes all at once, with flawless results.
    Specs are:
    17.3 3D HD display
    2.3ghz i7-3610QM processor (3.1 turbo)
    16GB RAM
    1.5TB HDD
    Nvidia GTX 670M graphics
    4 USB 3.0 ports
    Blu-ray R/W drive

The laptop NEVER has even gotten hot. I play with it right on my lap, and it remains fairly cool, even under intense gaming conditions.
    Asus is a brand that has never let me down, and I will never buy any other type of computer/laptop/desktop other than this wonderful brand.
    Granted, everyone has their own horror stories with every brand of computer, but I'm just speaking from personal experience. Don't buy Alienware... they're overpriced like Macs are just to have the status icon.

Well yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that they're vastly inferior for gaming. But some people are insistent on getting laptops for such purposes even despite all the problems. Perhaps you've met such people. I have.

I only said so because I don't think people should try building their own laptops, and if you wanted one capable of gaming, I'd suggest Alienware, if you must. Still won't be that good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    How in the hell is my friend supposed to plug in his desktop and monitor and where is he supposed to put it when he is on his 24 hour shift in an ambulance and sitting in a parking lot for 4 hours with nothing to do?

How is a University Student who has 4 hours between his morning class and afternoon class that is caught up on studying and homework supposed to play on his desktop at school.

Guy starting his own business and needs a laptop for work reasons but still likes to game. Cannot afford both, it's one or the other.

While I admit, a desktop will typically be cheaper for the same performance, sometimes you just gotta have a laptop.

PS: The only time you should use the word never is when talking about how often you should use absolutes likes never and always, which is never.
    24 hour shifts sounds like a horrible idea.

I'd prefer the guy who is saving my life not to be sleep deprived by at least 8 hours. Regardless of how much coffee he's had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Well yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that they're vastly inferior for gaming. But some people are insistent on getting laptops for such purposes even despite all the problems. Perhaps you've met such people. I have.

I only said so because I don't think people should try building their own laptops, and if you wanted one capable of gaming, I'd suggest Alienware, if you must. Still won't be that good.
    Please do not listen to this person. I use to own/operate a computer store front. There is nothing wrong with a gaming laptop whatsoever if you look for the right one. Don't waste your money on Alienware. It's a $2000 box of HEAVY metal. Many quality gaming laptop are true desktop replacements, and offer many distinct advantages desktops just can't bring to the table, especially bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceyx View Post
    Please do not listen to this person. I use to own/operate a computer store front. There is nothing wrong with a gaming laptop whatsoever if you look for the right one. Don't waste your money on Alienware. It's a $2000 box of HEAVY metal. Many quality gaming laptop are true desktop replacements, and offer many distinct advantages desktops just can't bring to the table, especially bragging rights.
    Yes, they offer the advantage of portability. The top end laptops are inferior to the top end desktops. The laptops are far worse bang for buck. If you are just going to be sitting at home playing games, you shouldn't get a laptop if you want the best results for the least cost.

If you need one, fine. But they aren't as good. You sacrifice quite a lot for the portability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, they offer the advantage of portability. The top end laptops are inferior to the top end desktops. The laptops are far worse bang for buck. If you are just going to be sitting at home playing games, you shouldn't get a laptop if you want the best results for the least cost.

If you need one, fine. But they aren't as good. You sacrifice quite a lot for the portability.
    At the absolute minimum your air flow and heat will go to shit.

I guess its possible to get a decent laptop that can play high quality games if you were willing to pay double but airflow is going to suck no matter what.

10+ Year Old Account

Well since the OP wants a desktop, he can buy a desktop and be overpowered for years to come with his 2-3 graphics cards lol.
    Wouldn't want to power that behemoth, nor pay the electric bill for it.
    I will stick with laptops. I have not run into 1 game my laptop couldn't play on max. Nothing even challenges it.

Well since the OP wants a desktop, he can buy a desktop and be overpowered for years to come with his 2-3 graphics cards lol.
    Wouldn't want to power that behemoth, nor pay the electric bill for it.
    I will stick with laptops. I have not run into 1 game my laptop couldn't play on max. Nothing even challenges it.
    Laptops have their places, but they aren't for everyone. If a part goes out in a laptop, you need to mail it in and pray the warranty covers it/still exists. If a part goes out in a PC, you just replace it (possibly with an upgrade, if possible). You can actually build your own, so you save even MORE money for more power than a laptop.

You can never be too overpowered, really. Max settings, you want your frames as high as you can (well, you won't really notice after a certain point, but that point is hard to meet consistently).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    At the absolute minimum your air flow and heat will go to shit.

I guess its possible to get a decent laptop that can play high quality games if you were willing to pay double but airflow is going to suck no matter what.

I really don't know why the topics of heat or airflow keeps coming into play.
    My Asus doesn't even get hot, even when I TRY to work it out. The way the laptop is built maximizes airflow and greatly reduces heat distribution.
    You should read up on them.
    http://rog.asus.com/notebook/17-inch/g75vx/

Laptops have their places, but they aren't for everyone. If a part goes out in a laptop, you need to mail it in and pray the warranty covers it/still exists. If a part goes out in a PC, you just replace it (possibly with an upgrade, if possible). You can actually build your own, so you save even MORE money for more power than a laptop.

You can never be too overpowered, really. Max settings, you want your frames as high as you can (well, you won't really notice after a certain point, but that point is hard to meet consistently).
    What? You can definitely switch out laptop parts... every single part. And these laptops are upgradeable as well. Mine originally had 12GB and I put and extra 4 GB in there.
    But anyways, since the OP wants a desktop, I agree he will get more use of his money if he goes that route I suppose, but I would never do such a thing. When doomsday comes, I will have my gaming platform with me, and all the desktop people will be crying sad Pandaren tears as they watch me play. XD
    Last edited by Ceyx; 2012-12-20 at 03:46 AM.

What? You can definitely switch out laptop parts... every single part. And these laptops are upgradeable as well. Mine originally had 12GB and I put and extra 4 GB in there.
    Yes, certain things like RAM and hard drives are easily upgraded. But the rest? To repair, it's tedious or too difficult for the average user, more expensive, and usually voids your warranty (which is your lifeline on these things). And troubleshooting is a nightmare.

I have a laptop and a desktop. I like having a laptop, but when I want to do some actual gaming, I will never use the laptop. And if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose my desktop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, certain things like RAM and hard drives are easily upgraded. But the rest? To repair, it's tedious or too difficult for the average user, more expensive, and usually voids your warranty (which is your lifeline on these things). And troubleshooting is a nightmare.

I have a laptop and a desktop. I like having a laptop, but when I want to do some actual gaming, I will never use the laptop. And if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose my desktop.
    Sigh, yes desktops will always be able to have more graphical and processing power, and be able to outmatch most laptops (at least for now.) I will concede to you on that, indeed. I just don't know why you would need to run WoW at anything higher than 60 fps LOL. But hey, whatever strikes your fancy.
    Going back to the OP's original concerns though... he should be able to get a very powerful desktop setup with a price point far below his budget. Paying more than $1200 MAX for a desktop is insanity in and of itself.
    Custom building is always the best option, and it isn't hard whatsoever. I bet even a monkey could figure out how to insert everything into it's proper slot and screw the mobo into the case haha.

Can we please stray back to the path of the conversation, which is not about how much a few people dislike their notebooks?

I got an Alienware. I did some research before hand though. The aurora is dumb. The X51 have generally better specs than the Aurora, the Aurora just has everything dual. Dual graphics cards, etc. For example, X51 has a better graphics card than the most expensive Aurora (Unless you upgrade it to go up to like $4000). You REALLY don't need dual-everything in order to have a great gaming rig. Maybe if you want to five-box a high graphics game on 1 PC or something.

I only paid $1250 for my X51 (I took the Blu-ray player off), and it plays Metro 2033 at 30-40 fps, and WoW on max settings at 60-120 fps. I probably did "waste" my money to some people that could get the same thing for several hundred dollars less. I do not feel like shopping for parts over several different sites, getting things shipped to me in random intervals, and then trying to frustrate myself on actually assembling the damn thing. After budgets matter to me a little more I probably will delve into it, but right now I really, really didn't feel like going through the trouble.
    Last edited by Zafire; 2012-12-20 at 06:18 AM.

Sigh, yes desktops will always be able to have more graphical and processing power, and be able to outmatch most laptops (at least for now.) I will concede to you on that, indeed. I just don't know why you would need to run WoW at anything higher than 60 fps LOL. But hey, whatever strikes your fancy.
    Going back to the OP's original concerns though... he should be able to get a very powerful desktop setup with a price point far below his budget. Paying more than $1200 MAX for a desktop is insanity in and of itself.
    Custom building is always the best option, and it isn't hard whatsoever. I bet even a monkey could figure out how to insert everything into it's proper slot and screw the mobo into the case haha.
    You'd be surprised at how high you can tweak WoW, and then you throw in a 25 man raid... yeah, you'll lose frames.

But I think a 1200 budget is quite reasonable. In fact, if the OP is building their own, their budget could buy an extremely top notch PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    24 hour shifts sounds like a horrible idea.

I'd prefer the guy who is saving my life not to be sleep deprived by at least 8 hours. Regardless of how much coffee he's had.
    Well, that's the way most ambulance companies I know of work. Granted, these guys have an Apartment available to them and during down time they get some sleep, same as fire fighters, but there are days he is running the entire 24 hours as well. Regardless of it being a horrible idea or not it is what happens every day. Every single day sleep deprived ambulance drivers are saving people lives. TO keep it on topic, these guys need laptops if they want to play, which a lot do. The private company that my friend works for over half the staff own gaming laptops and play at work, including the owner and dispatch. They could not do so with desktops.