Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mogu'Shan Palace world record 17.12.12 8 min 41s.

I found this thread on the europe forums, but couldn't find it here. Maybe I just failed at searching, but at least I tried. I'll copy it's contents here, as I feel this feat deserves more views.

DISCLAIMER -> I'm not part of this team, merely just the messenger reposting their post here since I didn't find it.

For all who claimed we cheated, here's our answer, expect to hear from us in the future.

The frenchies challengers.
    Their setup:
    Chibrealtar - Prot warrior.
    Bluepeau - Resto Shaman (went dps for last boss).
    Kizi - Frost DK.
    Sylvesters - BM Hunter.
    Trah - Frost Mage.
    Mogu'Shan Palace Leaderboard, top 5
    Qualifying Times
    12:00 - Gold
    24:00 - Silver
    45:00 - Bronze

08:41 - 14.12.2012
    09:56 - 27.11.2012
    10:00 - 26.11.2012
    10:14 - 14.12.2012
    10:15 - 27.11.2012
    What did they use on the trash before last boss?
    Answer;

There is a mob in Kun'Lai Summit named Ski'thik that has a 16% chance to drop an item called Rod of Ambershaping.
    It's tooltip reads like this;

Rod of Ambershaping
    Item Level 1
    Binds when picked up
    Unique
    Use: Encases the target in amber, preventing all action for up to 1 min. Any damage caused will break the amber. Does not work on players or targets above level 94. (5 Min Cooldown)
    "Used by mantid amberweavers to spin structures of hardened amber."
    As you can see, these guys are WAY ahead of the rest of the curve. I believe their last pull + the fact that they save warp for gekkan is what made their game, and the useage of Rod of Ambershaping. The also reduced the first and last pulls to one big pull on each end of the instance.

Edit: like Alzu pointed out in the reply below, they made a Scarlet Monastery run with the time 07:42 as well. Sadly, they've not posted a video for that one afaik.
    Last edited by Alarinth; 2012-12-19 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added links, video etc.

Post a video of your Scarlet Monastery please.

Very impressive. They essentially did all the trash they had to in just 2 very scary pulls and that 2nd boss melted fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Alarinth View Post
    due to low post count, I can't link the video. But if you search for "mogu'shan palace challenge mode gold, 8:41 (world record at time of posting)", you'll find it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Oq0XTekcQ

There are many really good tricks in this video. I'm looking forward to their next runs.
    (Though, as a warrior I raged behind my screen when I figured the warprot didn't even use Heroic Leap on cooldown to increase its dps. )

Indeed, these guys are really dedicated. What amazes me the most, is the fact that all of them have farmed the item from a rare mob in Kun'Lai Summit, even though they're on the same server. In this particular instance it doesn't serve them more than only a few seconds, but I can see how it's gotta be amazing for other instances.

15+ Year Old Account
    That was insane and they made it look so easy:O
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Deleted
    what were those wings they used before 2nd boss?

Deleted
    Very, very impressive!
    I've never thought about using my rod for challenge runs.
    Any1 know the 1st song they use?

Quote Originally Posted by Ares66 View Post
    what were those wings they used before 2nd boss?
    Engineering gliders. Every second counts and if you are going for world firsts then engi is a good profession I think.

Deja Thoris beat me to it.^

Hi everyone, i'm Trah the frost mage from the group whose video is linked above.
    First of all, i'd like to thank Alarinth for making the thread here, it's a kind move from your part.

I've come to this forum to clarify details about our 7 min 42 run at Scarlet Monastery.
    As you may understand, we like to regard challenge mode as speedruns , and a competition. We came to a brand new way of approaching de scarlet monastery instance, so, we'll wait until someone finds this strategy and is able to reach our timer or beat it to release a video. I'm sure you'll understand our way of seeing things.

Concerning the Mogushan Palace run, i still think we'll be able to gain round 15-20 seconds due to better cooldown ( iceblock / bloodbath / Heroic leap ) use.

I'd like to add that we run with the weakest healer possible as shaman doesn't really bring anth to the group appart from mastery buff ; shaman off dps is fairly low compared to other classes and he doesn't have some big utility cd such as stampeding roar.

Quote Originally Posted by Trah View Post
    I've come to this forum to clarify details about our 7 min 42 run at Scarlet Monastery.
    As you may understand, we like to regard challenge mode as speedruns , and a competition. We came to a brand new way of approaching de scarlet monastery instance, so, we'll wait until someone finds this strategy and is able to reach our timer or beat it to release a video. I'm sure you'll understand our way of seeing things.
    The strategy of mind controlling the ghosts next to the first boss? There is no other way than letting it kill the boss(es?) in seconds instead of the ~3 minutes is takes to kill the last one regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alzu View Post
    The strategy of mind controlling the ghosts next to the first boss? There is no other way than letting it kill the boss(es?) in seconds instead of the ~3 minutes is takes to kill the last one regularly.
    I dare say I'm a 100% certain this is not the only "secret" they've got. That strat is fairly normal, and since he thinks their thing is a secret one, that's probably not it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alarinth View Post
    I dare say I'm a 100% certain this is not the only "secret" they've got. That strat is fairly normal, and since he thinks their thing is a secret one, that's probably not it.
    Well, our time 10:04 is without it as we didn't know about it then. Using the ghosts would easily shave that time away as the last boss would die so much faster.

The ghosts next to the first boss are a good way to increase the timer, but it's not the only thing needed to go that fast in the instance.
    It just involves some insanely big and difficult pulls. ( took us more than 100 tries to get that particular pull right )

If it matters to you, my character's name is Bouleau (current #1 priest). There are two things I would like to say.

First thing: grats on your MSP time. It's well played.

Second thing: I've reported to Blizzard the whole 'Control Undead' thing in Scarlet Monastery, as I think it's very lame and uninteresting. My intent here is to obtain a fix regarding Frenzied Spirits and an SM-specific leaderboard reset. (I'm not sure if any action will be taken though.) Currently, I consider Depraved's 10m4s to be World's Best because of this. Nerthfu and myself have considered beating the 7m42s time, but we think that abusing a mechanic to get a ridiculous advantage hurts the spirit of challenge mode and fair competition. Basically, we're not touching SM until an official word is out on this (even if that hurts our ranking).

Again, let it be clear that I don't want to cause any animosity between our groups; for me, the more competition, the better. I'd just like this competition to remain fair and exploits-less.
    Last edited by Harmonium; 2012-12-19 at 12:37 AM.

To Bouleau.

That's a respectable point of view. We considered doing a run without the ghosts too, but after thinking about it, we came to this conclusion :
    Challenge mode are speedruns , and the rules of speedrunning a game / dungeon are clear on that matter. If you can use it, it's allowed.
    I prefer refering to our strategy as " clever use of game mechanics ", but i would understand a ladder reset , or some action from blizzard.
    Like you said, the top groups in challenge mode dungeon are there for competition, and if we have to redo our run without that feature, we'll do it and hopfully get a good time.
    To resume the whole thing, as competitors we wanted the best possible time, and we developped a strategy based on those ghosts, you can't blame us for that or claim we exploited a bug.

Looking forward to seeing you and your group on wowprogress some more, like you said, the more competition, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trah View Post
    To Bouleau.

That's a respectable point of view. We considered doing a run without the ghosts too, but after thinking about it, we came to this conclusion :
    Challenge mode are speedruns , and the rules of speedrunning a game / dungeon are clear on that matter. If you can use it, it's allowed.
    I prefer refering to our strategy as " clever use of game mechanics ", but i would understand a ladder reset , or some action from blizzard.
    Like you said, the top groups in challenge mode dungeon are there for competition, and if we have to redo our run without that feature, we'll do it and hopfully get a good time.
    To resume the whole thing, as competitors we wanted the best possible time, and we developped a strategy based on those ghosts, you can't blame us for that or claim we exploited a bug.

Looking forward to seeing you and your group on wowprogress some more, like you said, the more competition, the better.
    I can see where you're coming from, I also think that exploit might be a strong word as I'd consider it myself a creative use of game mechanics. Still, I think this particular creative use of game mechanics goes a bit too far as it really changes the way the entire dungeon is done and also makes a class(dk) mandatory for this particular challenge. I'm still unsure if I want to commit to try and beat your current time using a dk or just wait to see what is blizzard stance on this issue.

Bonne chance,
    Vos voisins du Québec.

To clarify on my definition of 'exploit', let me say that I tend to use terms a bit loosely; I mean no offense here. I define by 'exploit' any method that from my PLAYER'S perspective seems unintended. To put things simply, I don't think Blizzard made Frenzied Spirits vulnerable to Control Undead on purpose or that they ever imagined players would conceive a strategy revolving around it. Like Nerth said, controlling a pet that hits for a few million dps changes fundamentally the way a group approaches a challenge, taking away from regular tanking, cooldowns management, and whatnot (although those elements obviously remain).

Other examples of things I consider exploits and that I wish to never see any competitive groups doing: finding a way to keep gear higher than 463 ilvl, skipping the long RP scene after the 2nd boss in Siege by using a gimmick to get through the door, etc. I don't foresee competition lasting if such things are 'allowed'.
    Last edited by Harmonium; 2012-12-19 at 05:32 AM.

I've seen people use the ghosts on the first boss in SM, but how do you use them on the last one?. Do you mind control it at full HP and bring it thru the whole run?