Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogling View Post
    Holy fire glyph is probably a dps loss. Due to the GCD being after you cast not during you lose 1 gcd of 20% smite per holy fire.
    But if you don't have the glyph, that GCD is just taken up by the HF cast, right?

    I.e.

    Glyph
    Holy Fire -> wait GCD > Smite

    UnGlyphed
    Holyfire -> wait cast time > Smite

    Or are you implying that the HF buff will fall off the target one GCD early, thereby losing a single smite at the very end of the dot?
    Because that seems more like a situation where haste would come into play to determine how many casts of smite one can get in on a single HF.
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it. -Boubouille

  2. #22
    Yes the GCD would be taken up by the cast. Tho this means the CD will come off 1 GCD later. I havent done any math on if more HFs are better or more smites per HF better.

  3. #23
    Stats/Gear -I stack crit and haste( no need for hit/mastery/spirit). 2 set shadow dps bonus!
    Glyphs-Holyfire/Smite/Lightspring Glyph (to still simultaneously toss out healing, used as a small healing cd)(could swap out for SW glyph for heavy mobility fights though generally those won't be good for holy dps)
    Talents-Halo/Divine Star works well. Not sure yet if Infusion/ToF is better. Mindbender all the way!

    This spec has - AmazingOff-Healing Halo/Divine Star + Mastery, Divine Hymn, Lightwell/Spring. What you lose is the 5% haste buff to raid(assuming no other hybrid caster).
    Last edited by Neekodango; 2012-12-19 at 03:40 AM. Reason: add stuff

  4. #24
    Holy fire glyph is probably a dps loss. Due to the GCD being after you cast not during you lose 1 gcd of 20% smite per holy fire.
    VERY interesting thought!

    Let me try to do some theorycrafting in a 2 second cast time of Holy Fire + 7 seconds duration of the holy fire debuff duration window.
    Visualized as such:



    For this theorycraft session, the damage from smite is X, and the damage from Holy Fire is Y.

    With no haste, counting the HF GCD and a smite as a GCD equivalent, you can fit in 4.6 GCDs during the 7 sec HF debuff duration.
    With the glyph, one of those GCDs are lost to the HF cooldown, the rest can be spent smiting.

    To fit in 4 smites into that 7 second interval, you need to take those 4.6 GCDs up to 5 GCDs, which require around 7% haste. Easy. Everyone has this!
    To fit in 5 smites you need a lot more haste. But as we will find, haste is actually a bit irrelevant, interestingly enough.

    So I will calculate three areas of interest.
    - Damage done in the first 2 second interval
    - Damage done in the next 7 second interval up to the last smite. All this will be boosted by the smite glyph
    - Damage done in the last fraction of the 7 second interval. This will not be boosted by the smite glyph since that smite lands after the debuff vanishes.
    I'm going to ignore haste for now, and that means simply:

    First 2 second interval
    With no HF glyph, this time is fully occupied by casting Holy Fire.
    With the HF glyph, this period of time will always be filled with smites.

    - Without the glyph, 0 smites cast. Damage done: nil
    - With the glyph, 1.33 smites cast. Damage done: 1.33 X

    Actually we do that HF cast in this period if we didn't take the HF glyph, but let's ignore that. We always cast HF exactly once during the investigation anyway.

    The next 7 seconds
    With no HF glyph, you can smite away. In 7 seconds, you get off 4 smites fully, and 1 second of a smite not fully.
    With the HF glyph, you spend the first GCD paying for HD, then you can smite for the remaining 5.5 seconds. That means 3 smites fully, and 1 smite not fully.
    Since the GCD and Smite cost exactly the same time, we basically always end up with exactly one less smite done with the HF glyph.

    - Without the glyph: 4 buffed smites plus 0.66 unbuffed smites, resulting in 5.46X damage done.
    - With the glyph: 3 buffed smites plus 0.66 unbuffed smites, resulting in 4.26X damage done.

    Since the difference is always going to be exactly one smite in difference, and that difference smite is always buffed, the damage difference here is always 1.2X, regardless of haste.

    But how does this hold up with non-0 values of haste?

    Surprisingly, haste doesn't matter. The theory is quite simple. With more haste, the last 7 seconds just ends up with more buffed smites being cast. But also a faster GCD. So the damage difference will always remain at 1.2X. More haste certainly increases the damage, but you still only lose 1.2X damage in this area.

    And similarly, the first 2 second interval also doesn't matter. It's easy to see if you just shorten that interval from 2 seconds to "whatever time is needed to cast holy fire". You will find you get the same amount of smites - 1.33 - off in that timeframe regardless of haste value.

    Summary
    Interestingly enough then...
    With the HF glyph you gain 1.33X damage due to having more spare time to cast smite instead of HF.
    With the HF glyph you also lose 1.2X damage due to having less boosted smites going on.

    By taking the glyph, you always GAIN 0.13X damage every HF cycle. As such the glyph is a (very minor) net DPS gain.

    So... I don't think the HF glyph actually matters at all for a smite DPS spec. The damage gain is incredibly small; equal to 0.13 smite casts every time you cast Holy Fire. Assuming you smite for 50k, that's 5.6k damage, or 560 DPS assuming you cast HF on cooldown. Which you won't unless you have a perfect haste balance. That's... not really noteable, and worth only a percent or two. Then again, there is not really any better glyph to take in a dps scenario is there? I for one like my HF instant
    Last edited by Danner; 2012-12-19 at 04:07 AM.
    Non-discipline since 2006. Also: fails. "Chakra, when the walls fell"

  5. #25
    Very interesting read Danner, although there is something you probably haven't taken into account into your theory. The Holy Fire buff is also a DoT, and therefore it has its own haste breakpoints, ie, min and max durations of the dot. However it's probably a very minor issue that isn't really worth looking into anyway, but im just saying that there might be some sort of a haste sweet spot to get or sour spot to avoid...

    Anyway the topic of Holy DPS has recently been a huge discussion topic, hope you don't mind me linking your post to the US forum.

  6. #26
    Fun fact for sure, I'm gonna give it a shot on my SPriest. However, if you want to keep Holy DPSing and not only for fun, don't forget you have to be in Shadow spec for Elegon and Sha of Fear, if you still want the trinkets ofc.

    Hope it doesnt get nerfed, it will be nice to have a non-optimal but fun spec to play in LFR or w/e

  7. #27
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...rce/?enc=kills

    Went holy tonight for the lulz. Except for the major fails on p2 zor'lok it was fun. Did not beat my rank on windlord as shadow tho, but I was on dispell duty this week so that combined with hymning may have made up the lost dps.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by zsun View Post
    Very interesting read Danner, although there is something you probably haven't taken into account into your theory. The Holy Fire buff is also a DoT, and therefore it has its own haste breakpoints, ie, min and max durations of the dot. However it's probably a very minor issue that isn't really worth looking into anyway, but im just saying that there might be some sort of a haste sweet spot to get or sour spot to avoid...

    Anyway the topic of Holy DPS has recently been a huge discussion topic, hope you don't mind me linking your post to the US forum.
    Sure, go ahead.

    Also: Good point!
    To be honest, I have no idea how DoT durations are calculated anymore. It's been one of the murky topics since they changed it in cata. I absolutely cannot explain why my HF dot duration is listed as 7.30s ingame, for example.

    I do not think it should matter though.
    After all; this duration will increase or decrease the duration of the DoT equally for the glyphed and non-glyphed usecase. The only difference is if you spend that first GCD in the DoT duration as a Smite or as a GCD. And that means the theory above still works out.
    Non-discipline since 2006. Also: fails. "Chakra, when the walls fell"

  9. #29
    @Danner:

    Your comaprison doesn't seem to take into account the effective cooldown reduction to HF by the HF glyph.
    For an instant the maximum rate you can cast it at is 1/cd while it is only 1/(cd+ct) for a spell with cast time (ct). Since only Smites you finish before the dot expires are buffed (as opposed to Smites you start before the dot expires). Also, didn't Holy fire have a cd of 10s (you seem to have used 9s).


    Actually from my estimation you always seem to loose damage with the glyph (unless you have to move, obviously).

    If you have the glyph you can cast 1HF, complete 3S before the dot expires and then cast another 2 unbuffed S (if you'd cast 1 you would have 1s left of the CD of HF; the dps of the whole circle is not twice than that of S so you will want to cast it instead of waiting). You start the circle anew after 10.5s -> your dps is 0.095*d(HF)+0.533*d(S) (d(HF) meaning the damage of one HF, d(S) damage of one S).

    Without the glyph each circle consists of 1HF, 4 buffed S, and 2 unbuffed S (again you wouldn't want to waste a second doing nothing) and you would start over after 12.5s. -> your dps is 0.08*d(HF)+0.624*d(S)

    0.095-0.080=0.015; 0.533-0.624=-0.091 => you loose damage.
    The glyph would be better if HF did more than six times the damage of S (Since 0.015*6<0.091).

    If you had the perfect haste value to fit 7GCD in 10s this would change to 0.100*d(HF)+0.460*d(S) and 0.083*d(HF)+0.566*d(S); 0.100-0.083=0.017, 0.460-0.533=0.106; and d(HF) would still have to be more than 6 times d(S) for the glyph to be a gain while standing still.

  10. #30
    Immortal Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    7,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara View Post
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...h/smb/advanced

    I'm intrigued.

    And no, that isn't me. A friend linked it.

    Guess it was only a matter of time? Seeing that Holy doesn't need any Hit, spells costs practically no mana with the DPS Chakra and you can basically just stack Int, Crit and Haste as much as possible. No need for Spirit or Mastery, really.
    Going to feel SO bad for this person when it gets nerfed, and yes, it WILL be nerfed. I don't think they want Holy to be a good DPS and allow great healing.

    Retired Veteran Raider: [T14] 10/16H, [T15] 12/13H, [T16] 7/14H
    BTag: Polarthief#1411 (I'll only accept with notice/name is recognizable)

  11. #31
    For some reason thhis takes me back to vanilla wow where healers could kill dps easily

    5.2 Disc Priest Guide | Retired(Playing Aion)

  12. #32
    Thanks Noradin, that is a very good omission that I did not take into account in my model!
    And one that IMO is important enough to warrant inclusion.

    Basically: the glyph allows you to have a HF cycle every 10 sec, but unglyphed only every 12 sec. Give or take with haste.

    This point should if anything however count towards making the glyph even better. By fitting in more HF cycles per minute, your DPS should go up!

    So if I say that the glyph is giving a very minor DPS gain without considering your point, and you rightfully call me out on saying that I forgot something that would make it even better... but conclude that the glyph is then worse... then my ghostbuster sense starts tingling

    I think you simply mixed up the cases.

    --

    No haste, no glyph:

    In 12.5 seconds, you can do one Holy Fire + 7 GCDs which I guess we will all be using on smites. 4 of these will be boosted, 3 won't be.
    Given your notation, that means

    Damage in 12.5 seconds = d(HF) + 4*1.2*d(S) + 3*d(S) = d(HF) + 7.8*d(S)
    DPS = 0.08 * d(HF) + 0.624 * d(S)
    No haste, with glyph:

    In 10.5 seconds, you can do one Holy Fire GCD + 6 GCDs which I guess we will all be using on smites. 3 of these will be boosted, 3 won't be.
    Given your notation, that means

    Damage in 10.5 seconds = d(HF) + 3*1.2*d(S) + 3*d(S) = d(HF) + 6.6*d(S)
    DPS = 0.095 * d(HF) + 0.628 * d(S)
    Comparing those...
    Glyph scenario wins due to offering both more HF dps (0.095 > 0.08) and more S dps (0.628 > 0.624).
    As I pointed out earlier, the smite difference is rather small... but the HF difference is quite a lot noteable.

    So... TLDR version: Glyph is good (tm)

    Disclaimer: barring any math errors. Poke holes in it until it bleeds!
    Non-discipline since 2006. Also: fails. "Chakra, when the walls fell"

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremmon View Post
    he also did 25k hps while doing 75k+ dps... that is pretty crazy.
    Not far off what shadow does on that fight though. Looking at a random top-100 shadow log for that fight gives around 80k dps and 20k hps for shadow. Seems like holy is a viable alternative, with a possibly better clutch save from DH (though on some fights VE might be better).

  14. #34
    You know a dps spec is bad when its healing offspec can do almost as much damage.............................

  15. #35
    Also in most fights it is beneficial to have a spell that can be cast on the move to readjust position for Halo. This may give the glyphed HF some edge

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    So... TLDR version: Glyph is good (tm)
    Add to that the fact that even with reforging out of haste (which you wouldn't be doing anyway if you're going holy dps), decent gear + raid buffs will give you enough haste to get off 4 smites during the Holy Fire debuff with the glyph. Of course, eventually you'd get the point where you can get 5 smites in without the glyph and 4 with it, but I'm not sure what haste figure that would be at. Regardless, the glyph should always be a dps increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

  17. #37
    Am i missing something? I'm a disc priest so most of my gear is full of mastery, but I'm only pulling 30k DPS as holy. With chakra and the glyph. What am I doing wrong? I'm smiting my face off. I do more DPS as disc, but my smite actually heals. or was this nerfed? .\
    Last edited by Syonu; 2012-12-19 at 10:55 PM.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Syonu View Post
    Am i missing something? I'm a disc priest so most of my gear is full of mastery, but I'm only pulling 30k DPS as holy. With chakra and the glyph. What am I doing wrong? I'm smiting my face off. I do more DPS as disc, but my smite actually heals. or was this nerfed? .\
    well mastery gear is super bad for dpsing, and you should be using holy fire, Sw:P and death, mindbender and you llv 90 talent in addition to smite.

  19. #39
    Ok so I reforged everything into haste and did 73k dps on garajol LFR with 491 ilvl. went from 1.5k haste to 5k+ with reforge and gems so that made a huge difference.

  20. #40
    Wasn't this the reason for Ghostcrawler's Twitter responses? That "Tree of Life gives up the ability to play the whole game, and Chakra doesn't", where "the whole game" is apparently DPS.

    It will be nerfed, but this was their logic for it in the first place, was it not?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •