Thread: A sad day..

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

A sad day..

Ugh. So as a lot of you observant people have noticed, it seems like Rift is growing. And Rift growing is a beautiful thing to watch. But damn if I didn't meet the type off clown that I haven't seen in about 1,5 years tonight. I really hope this isn't what's waiting for us if the player base keeps growing.

-Random people in general chat trolling "WoW was first mmo!" (Can't believe people still jump on this bait)
    -Random guy: "If it was so much better then why don't you play it?" (I just assume this is a new player who finally found that the grass was actually greener..)

So I whisper him: "It's just and old troll bait"

-"Yup and like wow /ignore is your freind bb"

me- "what the hell?"

-"i sorry i wasnt clear enoughthe first time... FUCK OFF... that better?"

Tried to reply "WTF did I do?" but alas, he was ignoring me. I know this seems like a silly thing to make a thread about, I'm just kinda mind blown because I realize that this is the first time I see that bad behavior in the game since launch. (Of course there has been arguments getting nasty, but this is different)
    "You disgust me"- Grandma

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trlz View Post
    Ugh. So as a lot of you observant people have noticed, it seems like Rift is growing. And Rift growing is a beautiful thing to watch. But damn if I didn't meet the type off clown that I haven't seen in about 1,5 years tonight. I really hope this isn't what's waiting for us if the player base keeps growing.

-Random people in general chat trolling "WoW was first mmo!" (Can't believe people still jump on this bait)
    -Random guy: "If it was so much better then why don't you play it?" (I just assume this is a new player who finally found that the grass was actually greener..)

me- "what the hell?"

Tried to reply "WTF did I do?" but alas, he was ignoring me. I know this seems like a silly thing to make a thread about, I'm just kinda mind blown because I realize that this is the first time I see that bad behavior in the game since launch. (Of course there has been arguments getting nasty, but this is different)
    Sorry to break your heart but there will be an ass hat in every game at some point probably sooner then later. Welcome to the internet in particular online gaming.

Have a great day otherwise!

me- "what the hell?"

Its just childish people being childish sadly all you can do is ignore it and hope for the best.

As for the grass is greener on the other side comment that is just ur opinion some like rift more then wow/other mmo's some like it less just depends the person.

Happy you fount a MMO you enjoy now im still searching for mine after the crap that was swtor. also while waiting for GW2 to be updated a bit more.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

me- "what the hell?"

These kind of people are on every game, street corner, bus stop, school, and work place. Just ignore them and move on.

Some people just be mean...it happens.

Main point here is to just not spread it RIFT has a great community and it will take everyone to keep it that way. Dont let this loser ruin it for everyone else
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

me- "what the hell?"

He didn't want you whispering him and when you whispered him again he told you off and put you on ignore. If anything the bad behavior looks to be on your part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    He doesn't need a source to know that he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.” - Christopher Hitchens

10+ Year Old Account
    He thought you were the guy claiming wow was the first mmo i think :P

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepepper View Post
    He didn't want you whispering him and when you whispered him again he told you off and put you on ignore. If anything the bad behavior looks to be on your part.
    Nah, doesn't look like bad behavior on the part of the OP. If the guy didn't want to be whispered, he could've as easily /ignored the OP before telling him off.

What's with the contrarianism? I've been out of the loop - is that the cool thing again, now?

Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    What's with the contrarianism? I've been out of the loop - is that the cool thing again, now?
    I was thinking the samething...... people r just mean these days
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trolls will be trolls.

Don't let it get to you. You get it in every game. Rift is not somehow exempt.

---------- Post added 2012-12-18 at 11:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Yeah - I think this too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, doesn't look like bad behavior on the part of the OP. If the guy didn't want to be whispered, he could've as easily /ignored the OP before telling him off.

Who knows.

Off topic I seen a guy doing the Anal [insert ability name here] in the 50-59 channel and clicked his name and seen he was in my guild. I called him out in guild chat and said: "dude are you 12 years old?" he asked why? I said you're an embarrassment to the guild he promptly /gquit like really? I don't care what game you play the amount of idiots are limitless, I hear LoL is pretty toxic too.

He gave a warning. I don't see the need to push people's buttons with another whisper. If you do, you get what you get. I also don't see why you want to try to push my buttons with an attempt at being funny. I'm a little more even keeled than the guy the OP ran into though, so I'll just ignore you from here on without telling you off : )
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    He doesn't need a source to know that he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.” - Christopher Hitchens

Deleted
    To be honest, I think whisper ability and chat channels should be removed from MMO/Online games.
    You can talk and you can yell. And that's it. Would solve so many problems...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Yeh, I was thinking the same. I know myself I dont pay much attention to the names of the actual people talking in general chat.

If this is your idea of "A sad day.." then you must have had an extremely sheltered life. No community is perfect, and don't pretend you never saw conduct like that before. I never played Rift beyond the first few levels, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't invulnerable to jerks until now.

Quote Originally Posted by momirmaster View Post
    Although I believe that We never killed osama and OBAMA just used it as propaganda to win a election cause Osama's was probably dead for years I Usually am not gullible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Who knows.

Off topic I seen a guy doing the Anal [insert ability name here] in the 50-59 channel and clicked his name and seen he was in my guild. I called him out in guild chat and said: "dude are you 12 years old?" he asked why? I said you're an embarrassment to the guild he promptly /gquit like really? I don't care what game you play the amount of idiots are limitless, I hear LoL is pretty toxic too.
    I called people out like this a few times as well. I used to be quite a hot-tempered Raid/Guild Leader in WoW and we had a really good, tight-knit bunch of 25~40 players because we didn't tolerate guys who acted like this. This whole "trolling" thing seems to be new "cool" kid thing lately.

Sorry to break your heart but there will be an ass hat in every game at some point probably sooner then later. Welcome to the internet in particular online gaming.

Yeah, as I said I know it's a silly little thing. Just so strange to come across one after getting used to most people communicating in a more civil manner

Whitepepper: If he for some reason doesn't want people to whisper him, he can at least tell them in a friendlier way imo. But why play an MMO if you hate mankind :/

Jtbrig: Of course, that comment probably came out the wrong way. I just meant I was thinking he was new to the game and like me found it to be a better alternative, so I figured I would let him know straight off the bat that there was no point jumping the oldest bait in the game.

I know I might have come off a little too butt-hurt with this post, I just didn't see it comming!

If it makes you feel any better (It makes me feel better) These people you describe generally have either pathetic lives or a pathetic upbringing, or both. People arent born ass hats, they become ass hats through life experience (I call this the ass hat effect) People who try and push your buttons are generally people who feel that they have little to no control over things in their real lives. These are people who feel helpless and blame the world for all of their problems. They more than likely go to a job they hate, and are at or near the bottom of the food chain at work. They are probably not happy with who they are or where they are in life. They use the anonymity of the net as a way act bigger than they are, because in real life they are nobodies. MMORPS give them their only interaction with other people because they are too pathetic to meet people in their real lives. They will more than likely die alone; a lone ass hat curled up in the corner of a small apartment. Once dead they will be forgotten, having left not a mark on the tapestry of life. It will be as if they never existed. Meanwhile we will go on enjoying our lives, our friends, and our raids.
    Last edited by Luuth; 2012-12-18 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIX View Post
    If this is your idea of "A sad day.." then you must have had an extremely sheltered life. No community is perfect, and don't pretend you never saw conduct like that before. I never played Rift beyond the first few levels, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't invulnerable to jerks until now.
    Actually the title is more of a reflection of how good I think the community is in general. My life and gaming matters are quite separated emotion-wise, so no this is not a sad day in my life.

This pretty much sums it up. You will likely come across some people who do nonsensical and outright foolish things. All you can do is ignore them and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepepper View Post
    He gave a warning. I don't see the need to push people's buttons with another whisper. If you do, you get what you get. I also don't see why you want to try to push my buttons with an attempt at being funny. I'm a little more even keeled than the guy the OP ran into though, so I'll just ignore you from here on without telling you off : )
    Sure, me replying to him was likely to lead no where, and I guess piss him off even more. But it's kinda natural to be curious as to why someone verbally sucker punches you when you are just giving them an heads up. Of course, as someone mentioned above, he could have been mistaking me for the people trolling. I did not think about that when replying to him.