10+ Year Old Account

[Arcane] how trustworthy is simcraft regarding stat weights?

hello,

the past 2 weeks i tried out frost, but i (still) dont like it so i reforged/gemmed for arcane yesterday. so now i was at ~9300 mastery and 4000 haste. but when i ran my character through simcraft, it rated haste higher than mastery. so i reforged bit for bit to haste.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nthos/advanced this is my character, currently 5727 haste and 6065 mastery

i dont know if simcraft is accurate for 6-charge camping or not

As far as I know, haste and mastery are about the same weight after the haste threshold for an additional bomb tick. However, that does not mean that you want to keep haste and mastery evened out. You want to either go heavy into mastery or haste after that haste soft cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simcraft places Haste under Mastery after you reach the second haste breakpoint. After that when you get more haste, the value of haste increases more and more until just before the following breakpoint when it's very high above mastery and then when you hit that breakpoint it again falls low under mastery, but still over crit.

However, I prefer the Mastery playstyle (which may or may not be optimal, nobody is 100% sure yet, but there is increasing evidence in favor of the Haste playstyle) so I mostly ignore my personal simcraft results and I'm satisfied with what I see.

10+ Year Old Account
    so i guess i'll test what suits me more /gives me better results. i'm still not familiar with the new arcane style so i hope i can manage good dps tonight :x

I'll be honest. A few days ago I was all about going the mastery way. I have switched to haste stacking yesterday and love it. While I cannot confirm if it really increased/decreased my dps (seems to be about the same to me), the faster casting speed made the spec much more enjoyable to play.

Deleted
    i personally prefer the haste-style as i can easily spec to frost without having to reforge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggimannd View Post
    I'll be honest. A few days ago I was all about going the mastery way. I have switched to haste stacking yesterday and love it. While I cannot confirm if it really increased/decreased my dps (seems to be about the same to me), the faster casting speed made the spec much more enjoyable to play.
    What good is fast cast speed if you hit like a wet noodle. It's way more enjoyable to see one 200k hit in 2 seconds, than seeing two 100k hits in 2 seconds.

15+ Year Old Account
    isn't the "haste" play style the lazy way, where you just stack haste until you can just spam AB.. like the good old days?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    What good is fast cast speed if you hit like a wet noodle. It's way more enjoyable to see one 200k hit in 2 seconds, than seeing two 100k hits in 2 seconds.
    Some people aren't just looking to get big crits. (which doesnt me anything, big crits =/ big dps)

But to have the most enjoyable spec and a good dps. Haste build is more enjoyable to many people, including me.

I don't really pay attention to my crits when I play Arcane. I definitely do not hit like a Wet Noodle.
    The faster cast speed just "feels" better to me. The rotation/spec just feels more fluid and enjoyable when I stack haste.

My biggest problem is: how do you defend your decision to stack haste, when simc has valued haste higher than mastery, to your guild who says just to ignore SimC? I feel like I did better when I stacked haste, but I came under fire for it in my application, so I reforged and regemmed for mastery and now I feel I am doing subpar dps. Every time I start to gem haste, someone catches it and slaps me on the nose and says "bad".

Edit: I accidentally a word.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmph. Maybe you should link the Arcane guide to them on this page BUT NOT UNTIL THE END OF THIS WEEKEND because I was 100% sure that I placed the mastery vs. haste thing in the guide and I obviously haven't

damn it... I'll have to rework half the guide in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Caladriel View Post
    My biggest problem is: how do you defend your decision to stack haste, when simc has valued haste higher than mastery, to your guild who says just to ignore SimC? I feel like I did better when I stacked haste, but I came under fire for it in my application, so I reforged and regemmed for mastery and now I feel I am doing subpar dps. Every time I start to gem haste, someone catches it and slaps me on the nose and says "bad".

Tell them to take note of your dps in both mastery and haste versions and see what one gets them more excited. No decent guild will force you to go mastery over haste if it means less dps for you and your style of play.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's so much mastery on our gear that I dont think there's any danger of hitting like a wet noddle. I reforged last night to haste > mastery (left the gems be for now) and still have more mastery than haste stats.
    Last edited by Kiry; 2012-12-19 at 09:52 PM.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

I'd imagine it depends on your playstyle completely.

I'd see Haste being the better choice if you use Invocation for multiple reasons:
    - More haste = quicker Evocations to keep up Invoker's Energy
    - More haste gives you quicker/more casts to burst stuff up
    - More haste means more mana regen, allowing you a few extra casts before you have to evocate again.
    - Less mastery is perfect with Invocation, since you'll be low on mana after a few casts. You won't lose as much benefit from it since it's lower

Mastery is definitely better with RoP, though I could also see Haste being good with it too
    - Mastery is based off of mana. With RoP, your MP5 is doubled. They kinda go hand in hand.
    - Less haste means your casts are slower, allowing you to regen more mana between casts. However, haste also increases your MP5, so that's kind of a double-edged sword.

Granted, I never bothered to try MoP Arcane because, well, being immobile in a movement-heavy tier is just unheard of to me. I'll stick with Fire and Frost.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Every time I start to gem haste, someone catches it and slaps me on the nose and says "bad".
    Must be a bad guild, if they sniff around in your business and are trying to dominate you. Not worth joining.
    You should tell them straight into the face that they have absolutely no clue about mages.

Deleted

You defend it by doing equal/more dps than when you are full mastery. Either way, unless you are in a top guild, you should have to justify your choices if your dps is good.